• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mal's SurFFoneS

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
I've been using OBN's Skullies with the SovWOT for the last four years and Gray Ghost on the Excal Blues in the winter. Bought the CTX this summer. Man! Those Koss UR-30 suck... SUCK! I started looking for new headphones right away.

Surf Master's post, eliminated Gray Ghost. Apparently Harold's uses a powder coated metal ear cup which I thought might be loud in the rain and wouldn't last in my saltwater beach environment. I was down to the Sun Ray Pro Gold or Mal's SurFFoneS. Dewcon and L.I. Digga sent a couple PMs that swayed me... I went with Mal's and WOW! Just... WOW!

Straight out of the box, I could tell the SurFFoneS are built to last. They are noticeably heavier than Gray Ghosts or OBN's Skullies, but great quality, comfortable, and sturdy. The cable alone is of a quality I haven't seen on any other headphone set. The earcup adjustments allow for a more snug fit than any other headphone I've owned. More of the ambient noise is blocked on the beach, but I can see how they might be a little hot in the summer. Mal warns people they are loud, and they are!

IMG_0908.jpg

A vast improvement over the Koss UR-30. The SurFFoneS are reasonably priced and custom built. You choose the cable connection (left or right ear cup) and cable length (3.0' 3.5' or 4.0'). Mal also offers a WM-10 connector. One year warranty! Delivered over the pond within two weeks.

Well worth the clams spent. I made the right choice! If interested, contact Mal: [email protected]

Raider Regards,

R5

Last edited:
I purchased a pair of the Koss UR-30 headphones. Tried them out a couple of times and decided that I would be just as well off as if I was using the cheapest headphones ever made Lousy Fit and the sound reproduction sucked to put it mildly. I Gave them away and went back to my quality headphones.

That was money down the drain but I learned my lesson when it comes to headphones.

I've been using Mal's Surffones on my Excalibur detectors and like you Raider5 am also very pleased with build quality, price and sound.

Mal does some very good work. One nice set of HP's... I've used those shells before, watch the little screws inside they rust, been awhile but I think there are 4..

I had looked at getting some surffones when I got my ctx but decided to build a set of skullies and they work great but I have heard great things about the surffones

I had looked at getting some surffones when I got my ctx but decided to build a set of skullies and they work great but I have heard great things about the surffones

If I had those skeels, I'd have tried myself. Last time I soldered anything was over 40 years ago. :shock: I think I could, but just don't trust myself... yet. In the meanwhile, Mal's will do :D

R5

IP-68 Speakers with Gore Tex. Good for the rain and can be dropped in water, but not submersible.

Raider Regards,

R5

Thanks R5,

Sounds good to me..

Non, scuba...

This is what I've been getting away with, nitril gloves, and electrical tape and stock land phones..:laughing:

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160711_224410.jpg
    IMG_20160711_224410.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 819
Thanks R5,

Sounds good to me..

Non, scuba...

This is what I've been getting away with, nitril gloves, and electrical tape and stock land phones..:laughing:

<°)))>{

Oh... you're using ATP? "No soup for you!" :shock:

Really, get in touch with Mal. You'll be surprised at the price. Be sure to let him know you're using an ATP.

R5

IP-68 Speakers with Gore Tex. Good for the rain and can be dropped in water, but not submersible.

See Mal's post on the Minelab forum.

Raider Regards,

R5

I think his speakers are IP65 if I remember correct.. There are no speakers or piezo's made that are more then IP65 that I know of, that's why he uses the gortex.

Attachments

• OBN0002.jpg
    OBN0002.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
I think his speakers are IP65 if I remember correct.. There are no speakers or piezo's made that are more then IP65 that I know of, that's why he uses the gortex.

Hmmm... in the first video (for the CTX) he says IP-68 when talking about both sets, but I'm not familiar with speakers. Maybe he's mistaken.

Your Skullies are still goin' strong OBN! Thanks.

R5

raider why do you need good headphones ill just have you kicked off the beach again

Hmmm... in the first video (for the CTX) he says IP-68 when talking about both sets, but I'm not familiar with speakers. Maybe he's mistaken.

Your Skullies are still goin' strong OBN! Thanks.

R5

Thanks Raider! But you can thank Mal also. We shared several ideas, the gortex was his brain storm, mine was the CTX endcap. Both still alive and doing well!

headphones

Well I've changed my headphones from the powdercoated wires to the stainless steel ones now, and very good in the saltwater makes a big difference, still nice and loud and tight on head to keep out all the background noise, HR Headphones

Back
Top Bottom