Ever find anything in your own backyard?

ZachSS

I been practicing detecting in my back yard before I go other places and I haven't found much yet, just old can lids and copper pieces.

I was wondering if someone has found anything in their own backyard?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 942
Yes! Back yards are excellent places to hunt. I hunt my yard first whenever I change anything on one of my detectors. I have found old coins including Mercs, Buffs, Wheaties and clad as well as interesting relics. Keep at it in your yard but do some history research and find some old spots to hunt too. GL and HH. Matt

I was tempted to search where we dug out and turned the soil over for a bigger garden. But ended up not doing it. We rent so probably not a good idea to dig up the rest of the yard either. Plus I'd feel weird doing it lol.

I returned to my parents home after 40 years and proceeded to dig up things that I had lost all those years previous. Zoo and farm animals, lead soldiers and dinky and matchbox toys, plus a couple of pre-decimal coins. We never know who walked or worked the land before us or before the house was built? It's always worth a try!!

Yeah I just use it for practice, by burying coins and marking them like someone suggested before. In the mean time, I found mostly junk like in my pictures but I get excited to matter what when I hear that thing beep!

Just a couple of Wheaties in my yard. House was built in the 1950's.
My son's house was built on farmland in 1860's and in a brief search I found old 2 cent (posted before) and some other old pieces. Can't wait to get back there, I'm waiting until Fall, I don't want to dig up his lawn in the middle of Summer.

My home was built in 1989. When I first got my detector I of course hit up the yard. Nails. Lots of rusty nails. One or two zinc pennies, and a chunk of iron plate.

Next time I visit my brother in his 1800's victorian I will see what his yards bring up :)

My house was built in 1952. That being said, I've found a few old children's toys and an Indian Head penny. Not sure on the date of the I.H. but 190?. My daughter found a 1932 Kalamazoo County Chaufers (sp) badge and silver spoon under a tree root. Good luck with your hunts. : )

My house was built in 68, but I still found 12 wheats most dating into the early 1940s (no silver :mad:)... The crazy thing was my 5th find ever was an Ike dollar, I thought this was going to be easy! LOL! The silver rosies and religious medal did not come from my yard...

1d4.jpg

You would have a hard time even finding a rusty nail in my yard now...

<*)))>{

My house was built in 1970 and oddly I found my first wheat in the back yard after breaking into the hobby. I live out in what used to be farm lands so the wheat was a surprise. The overall amount of finds from my yard has been astounding to my standard. It is hunted out now though, trust me. No silver though. martin

I have never had much luck mding the backyards we've had. The front yards on the other hand are much more successful for me!

My house is about 100 yrs old but I haven't found much of interest. There was a pool in the yard prior to the one I put in. I found a hole that keeps spiting pennies. I think there must have been a deck there and the pennies where tossed in the pool for the kids to find at the bottom. Eventually the pennies found there way onto the ground below and now in my pocket. I also found what I thought was a walking liberty but it was a 5 Franc piece. Other than that a couple of wheaties. I still check my yard now and again, its a good place to practice.

Great posts! I liked reading all them! Very interesting!
My parents house was built in the early 1900s one of the 1st houses in the city, should be something good here. Just have to find it!

i've found quite a few interesting relics in my own yard. the house was built in 1898 and one of my very first finds when i started detecting was an 1884 large cent.... barely 2 inches deep! it was in sandy/gravelly soil and was in really great shape!
if you click on my profile and go to my albums, i've got a dozen or so pics there of some of the goodies i've reclaimed from the ground here. :D oddly enough, i don't have a pic of that coin there. :roll:

Pete

I find clad from time to time in my back yard as well as fired pistol bullets. I find a lot of other things in the front yard too easpecially between the driveway and the front door.

Back
Top Bottom