M1 Carbine

I actually found a bazooka round / 50 caliber round hunting under an old bridge. I knew why it was there too, that morning an old man who was walking by told me his dad ( a Korea vet) supposedly threw a few war time take homes in the river when they became with child and did not want these things in the house anymore

It is very likely someone threw that thing in because there was no other viable option for disposal. I would simply keep it. The police wont give it back

Keep it

I would clean it up as much as you can ,maybe refinish the stock and hang it over the fire place. When anyone ask you whats your most intresting find with a detector say right there hanging on the wall.

If it was an M2 you would have a bunch of paperwork and questions to answer and still be treated like a criminal. Either way I'd hang it on the wall. If it is an M2, let some other digger dig the trigger group in the next 50 years.

??????????????:?: can you explain this.....

I believe the M2 has a select switch for full automatic. Restrictions on full autos are pretty stringent.

??????????????:?: can you explain this.....

The M2 was the fully automatic version of the M1 carbine. Without the right paperwork, having one in your possession means up to 10 years in jail, and up to $10k in fines. It is visually identical to an M1 carbine from the outside. There is no legal way to register one if it was not already done before 1986, and if it was registered before then, it is almost certainly stolen.

That said, it is very, very unlikely it is an M2. Not many were made compared to the M1, and very few made it into private hands. Market value of an M2 with paperwork is nearly $10k, an M1 is closer to $1k.

Or, option B. You can take a cleaning rod, or even a dowel down the barrel (as long and it isn't to caked with gunk) until it stops. Mark either with a marker, a pocket knife, a small dab of paint, or use the Chatlie Tuna approved method of putting your hand right at the end of the muzzle when it stops before you withdraw it and line it up on the outside of the barrel.

i have an old pepper box barrel. Compared to the rest of the chambers I think on still has a charge in it.
PB3.gif PB1.gif

I would keep it and not bother turning it in. Looks like an 20th century war relic, not a murder weapon to me. Amazing find!

There are a couple ways to see if it is loaded. Odds are if it is the ammo is toast looking at the gun, but considering the condition of the wood, maybe it survived. Eject the magazine and see if there are rounds in there. If you can't get it or it is froze it isn't like it has a hammer under tension ready to contact a firing pin. I've had tens of thousands of rounds or more around through the years and not one has ever popped on its own. The one that may be concerning is the chamber. You can either grab the charging handle and with draw the bolt and visually check. Or, option B. You can take a cleaning rod, or even a dowel down the barrel (as long and it isn't to caked with gunk) until it stops. Mark either with a marker, a pocket knife, a small dab of paint, or use the Chatlie Tuna approved method of putting your hand right at the end of the muzzle when it stops before you withdraw it and line it up on the outside of the barrel. If the end of the rod goes all the way to the bolt face, you are 100 percent good. If you are having a hard time telling let me know and I can measure one for you that hasn't been in a lagoon for 50 years and get you a measurement.

Charlie

I'd agree, and even if there's a one in the chamber, I can't believe either the hammer springs survived, or any sealed ammo is still good. BUT that's my opinion-always be safe.

Could be as innocent as cpl of guys drinking beer and shooting at some turtles, then accidently dropping it into what they considered very deep water. Too drunk to go swiming...or perhaps did hunt for it without success. :lol:

"Drunk turtle shootin"..... this sounds like a blast I've never heard of this. Any talk of making this a Olympic event? :lol: we need to be the rules down for this sport I have visions of this being bigger than Jai Alai, the Gaming industry needs to get involved :lol:

Dang, I just did 24 updates on my tablet and seeing forum posts hadn't seen before. Many made valid points, including dropping while shooting turtles. So what has transpired in the last month?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Dang, I just did 24 updates on my tablet and seeing forum posts hadn't seen before. Many made valid points, including dropping while shooting turtles. So what has transpired in the last month?

Not a damn thing of notice Brother!...some guy found an Indian penny, another damn guy found a silver Rosie, but thats about it,... Oh yeah!...Trump got elected!....Its November...too cold to shoot turtles..:laughing:.
Mud

This has been one of the best summers ever , crazy busy , trying to catch up also !! You say Trump got elected ?
HH

Not a damn thing of notice Brother!...some guy found an Indian penny, another damn guy found a silver Rosie, but thats about it,... Oh yeah!...Trump got elected!....Its November...too cold to shoot turtles..:laughing:.
Mud
Lol, oh good now I can rest easy now knowing no one found that 12k diamond ring I've been looking for.

Actually the Serial Number can most likely be Retrieved. The Police must file a Property Hearing request to legally keep it and if taken in a Burglary it would be returned to the Owner. To get the serial Number you actually Sand off the number then Polish the area. Then Lemon Juice can be used to read where the serial Number was stamped. Most likely they will not even try to retrieve it unless there is a possible connection to a crime. This is done quite often to retrieve serial numbers. I know because this is my line of work.

If it was me, I would take it to the cops and let them clean it up and get any forensic evidence they can. Let them know that if it was not a weapon used in a crime and the owner doesn't claim it in 60 days, you want it back.

All evidence would be gone or under the rust

All evidence would be gone or under the rust

No not true. Every once in a while the TV Crime shows have some things on that are really possible. The presence of the Rifle itself could be evidence regardless of wether or not it is identified.

No not true. Every once in a while the TV Crime shows have some things on that are really possible. The presence of the Rifle itself could be evidence regardless of wether or not it is identified.

Did you think they could find a legible serial number or what it is used to identify guns

Did you think they could find a legible serial number or what it is used to identify guns

Yes the area can be ground down to metal then polished. Acid is then used to read the irregularity in the metal where it was stamped into the metal. Highly unlikely they would want to do it though. Rifle would then be illegal to own because the serial number has been removed. Most likely Police would have no interest in it. This method is often used to retrieve Serial numbers from guns used in Crimes where the actual serial number has been completely ground off.

Back
Top Bottom