Looking to "steal" an old Compass

Snake

I had a top of the line Compass about 28 to 30 years ago and loved it... I understand that they improved on the units and see that there are a few on EBay these days...

Does anyone here know anything about the Compass line and what is good and what is not???

I'm thinking that I'd like to have a used backup unit, until I can afford a state of the art Whites...

Any input would be appreciated... Thanks gang.... Snake

Never used one but heard they were tops back in the day. Maybe the older guys can give you more info.

How steal of a deal is it? Maybe better to get an Ace 250?

I have a Prizm but think I can probably buy a good old Compass for under $80.00... I used to be able to tell almost everything by the sound...

old detectors

I posted a reply mere moments ago about my old detector, It seemed to dissapear into the unknown area It is a Metro tech mod 220A...........Now, I will atempt to post a pic of the aforementioned detector.....Here go'es......................Gil

OOOH. K. I read the fine print on the bottom, can't delete, can't edit, can't add pics., Good thing I did'nt use any 4 letter words. jeez.........Gil............. :roll:

make just one mistake....and

You become just a guest........Gil........ :mad:

I bought a "Compass Judge 2" in 1976....I would hate to tell you how many coins and artifacts I found with that one Detector!!! Times may have passed the "Compass" behind, but just because it's old, don't mean it's not an Excellent Detector!!! I loved mine!! Wished I had it back !!!

Frank

Snake said:
I had a top of the line Compass about 28 to 30 years ago and loved it... I understand that they improved on the units and see that there are a few on EBay these days...

Does anyone here know anything about the Compass line and what is good and what is not???

I'm thinking that I'd like to have a used backup unit, until I can afford a state of the art Whites...

Any input would be appreciated... Thanks gang.... Snake

Go to http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Detector-...ryZ14955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Compass Detectors

Hi Snake
Compass had the B series 94B, 77B...high frequency 100 khz and did not discriminate beyond small iron.Wide scan loops 3,5,8 and 12 inches.
The 77B is still used because although it has little depth compared to modern machines you can detect where they won't go. Two or three or more nails will be ignored, if theres a coin under them it will pick up the coin.
The Judge Series, also 100khz, were TR discriminators and would reject or rather bypass much iron that would have to be positively discrimed out with other machines. Drawback heavy and only really suited to low/medium mineralisation areas.
The VLF Magnum Series. Coin Magnum Ground eliminating VLF discriminator. 5.73khz.Eliminated ground effects in discriminate mode when all other machines could only do it in all metal. Could detect nickels and rings whilst rejecting ring pulls. Drawback as always they were heavy. Discrimination system was odd. You could pick up a deep nickle in ring pull reject but shallow would be ignored.
Relic Magnum 7. 3.73khz (I think). Excellent for relics in the super deep all metal mode.
Magnum 420 10.5khz. Not the depth of the Magnum 7 but better discrimination. 8 and 12 inch widescan coils. There were cheaper less powerful versions of the 420, the 320 and 220. Weight 4lbs and used 6 AA batteries.
One drawback with most of the models was the Tri-Planner coils used. Most of the machines weighed 4 to 4.5lbs. The coil put a lot of the weight at end of the machine, the last place it was needed. Hip mounting or fitting an arm rest solved the problem.
There's also the motion range most of which have been re-introduced since they had the fire and restarted the business. Unfortunately the Challenger range...X70, 80,100 are no longer made though they were the flagship machines of the company so well worth looking for.

The Coin Magnum was not their best effort. Lots of controls to manage at the same time and I found the depth lacking for a detector of it's cost. I have used several Compass detectors over the years. My first ever detector was a 94B. The older ones were good in there day but VLF's laeft them behind for the most part. I wish Ron Mack hadn't sold the company; I'm sure they would still be a major player today.

Well I agree in part with Tony but I would be tempted at the price as it looks in great condition. Not suitable as an only detector as the weight will get you down and they are odd.
It did detect as deeply in discriminate as non discriminate but like the off resonance (O.R.) detectors that allowed ring pull discrimination whilst still allowing most rings to be found, you had a little bit of hype. The O.R. machines (A.H.Proline, C & G Technology etc) did do as claimed but the depth was poor and likeways the Coin Magnum could detect as deep in both modes but neither mode was as good as some other machines. Then there was a problem with the principle on which it worked. Good near surface discrimination, you could discrim. out bottlecaps fine down to four or five inches, but any deeper and they would be indicated as a good target.
So on a site with lots of near surface rubbish you could do well but on an old site with deep rubbish the other Magnum's had the advantage of discriminating at a greater depth.
I often wondered what happened to Don Dykstra the manager/co-founder who invented the first widescan coil.

Ha Carol! That's the exact Compass my dad and I used to use! The thing finally died about four years ago. I found my first ring with that thing. The memories!

Okie did you find it heavy? Just had a post from a bloke who used one for 'several hours at a time' over five years and didn't find it heavy at all !

Hey Brian,

You have good information on older Detectors!! Thanks !! I really love older Detectors....They were made with pride back then! Maybe they don't go as deep as the newer ones, but they are still classy.

Frank

Brian said:
Okie did you find it heavy? Just had a post from a bloke who used one for 'several hours at a time' over five years and didn't find it heavy at all !

It's light as a feather if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom