School Lunch token at 1850s site

pocketspill

Elite Member
This was at almost 11" at a 1850s site. The font has a very 1800s feel to it, but it seems most school tokens were issued in the 1920s.

It's the size of a US Quarter, and I think made of aluminum.

(I can tell you that when I dug this, and saw how thin it was, I got seriously excited... until I moved the dirt.

How old do you think it is? (the depth has me wondering.)

picture.php

If it's aluminium then 1920's - 30's might be the era. I'm not sure when aluminium became widely available but somewhere early 20'th century in any case..before that it was so expensive it would've been cheaper to make this token out of silver :)

Voriax

I don't know what it's made out of... Aluminum was an assumption. It just seems to have been SO deep for a light coin. I know that no fill has been used in the locaiton found because of tree flares, etc.

A very nice piece of Americana! Congrats. It looks to be aluminum with a couple of crusty corrosion spots. It is definitely 20th century though since aluminum was very rare in the 1800's. Be careful about using depth as an indicator for age though. The first time you dig a modern penny at 10 inches you'll know what I mean! Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Back
Top Bottom