Flying with detector as carry on?

guppypug

I've got a trip to Italy coming up soon where I'd like to do some detecting on a friend's farm. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with international flights with a detector in a carry on bag.

Extra details: I've got a Tesoro Vaquero (shaft consists of 3 pieces) and I have a layover in Iceland where I will leave the airport for a day.

Thanks for any feedback!

Probably best to do it as check in luggage. Wrap your detector in towels/clothing (and maybe the control box in bubble wrap) so nothing gets damaged. I'm flying with the detector soon (international) and I'll be putting it into the check in luggage.

Just check with your airline company about battery regulations. I'm not sure what battery the Vaquero uses, but a lot of airlines prefer batteries as carry on.

:)

Flying

I travel with a detector all the time pack it in the middle of your suitcase surrounded by clothing take the batteries out. The t.s.a. did open my case one time and did not repack it very good and my detector case got cracked and I didn't realize it. I got about 20 feet underwater and it flooded out and got ruined it was a whites beach hunter.

I recently went to Kauai with my MD.

The battery is built into the head unit, so I removed the head unit and put it in my carry on. The poles and the coil went in checked luggage.

Never had a problem. I didn't travel international though.

BUT WHY would it matter about the batteries? Laptops and cell phones have larger batteries than a detector. I think people are being too cautious. I bet there will absolutely be no problems

Please disregard my post # 4. I was wrong. No lith ion batteries in checked baggage. Remove the control head/ handle and place in carry on. (these have lith ion batteries in the handle.) Make sure the countries you are traveling through and to, allow detectors and detecting. There are a few YouTube videos (for what they're worth) on packing your MD and gear. Google search the topic. Again SORRY for my misinformation I think that was a post 911 reg.. HH.

I have a friend that travels on occasion to Europe for business and He finds that renting a detector in Italy or other countries is best for him. No hassle with packing His.No problem finding detector rentals over seas,He claims its a big thing.

From what i gather carry on is what you need to do. The nox breaks down nicely and fits in a large carry on complete.

My only concern would be that the shaft would be seen as a "club like item", depending on the TSA agent you end up with.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'll prepare myself to have to check it if I get some gung ho type.

My only concern would be that the shaft would be seen as a "club like item", depending on the TSA agent you end up with.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'll prepare myself to have to check it if I get some gung ho type.
Not international but I just flew in the US with 2 machines with me.
In a carry-on bag, I had the Equinox head and the shaft its attached to, a Garrett carrot, gloves and finds bag.
In both DFW and Philly airports, the bag went straight thru the x-ray without a pause.
The rest of the shaft, coil, digger and a Garrett Ace 250 were packed in a checked bag.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

From what i gather carry on is what you need to do. The nox breaks down nicely and fits in a large carry on complete.

This is what I did on traveling within US. I put the scoop head in the carry on also and filled with clothes.. Put the shaft and scoop handle in checked baggage. No questions no trouble.

No issues domestically with my entire Eurotek Pro in carry-on broken down into coil, upper/lower shafts, cuff, and control head - all parts wrapped in socks.

.... BUT WHY would it matter about the batteries? Laptops and cell phones have larger batteries than a detector. I think people are being too cautious....

But scuba-detector, haven't you learned by now ? Metal detectors are inherently evil and dangerous. Thus needing special permissions and sanctions and approvals from every passerby. Tsk tsk. Get with the times ! :shock:

....Make sure the countries you are traveling through and to, allow detectors and detecting. .....

Curious : How would someone go about this ? To ask border consulate archie people ? Or ... if they see that md'ing is common-place in the particular country, as moomba seems to indicate for Italy .... then does that suffice as "ok" ?

I too have heard of, and seen md'r input from Italian hunters. Oh sure, it's probably like anywhere else on planet earth where .... sure ... you don't snoop around obvious historic sensitive monuments :roll:

I have traveled internationally several times with an AT Pro and Equinox 800 as carry on and have never been questioned. In the U.S. and a lot of other countries baggage checkers will steal your stuff so I would suggest carry on.

Back
Top Bottom