what are your other hobbies?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
What are some of your hobbies besides metal detecting? My hobbies besides trying to stay out of trouble and avoiding all the "honey do" items on my wife's list include hunting dogs, metal detecting and my 33 rpm record collection and vintage stereo equipment. You guessed it, my record collection is 90% rock and roll especially 1960's and 1970's.

Bought a vintage Pioneer SR-4120 stereo receiver yesterday and hooked it up to test it. Sounds so sweet with my Polk Audio 10 inch speakers. I picked it up for $75 from a nextdoor.com ad and it works perfect and I will sell in on ebay for over $200.

I have acquired all of my vintage stereo equipment over the last 10 years via eBay, Goodwill and nextdoor.com. You can literally get 70's and 80's (golden years) equipment for about 10% to 25% of original list price. Amazing. More people are realizing that 33 rpm is where the true fidelity comes from and not CD's or Streaming. My wife and I usually sit on the sofa one night a week and fire up the Marantz and listen to some of our favorite LP's.

Last edited:
other hobby

My other hobby is collecting Philippines coins and curency , starting with Spanish issued coins , American issued Philippines coins , American issued paper curency. Japanese issued curency , American issued occupation money, emergency issued resistance city and island curency , and modern coins and curency. A few I have found detecting in the Philippines , others I have got on Ebay or at coin shows. The 1903-1906 peso is made from the same blank as the Morgan dollar at American Mints . The Americans even had a mint there issuing coins with the M mint mark. A good place to see and look up foreign coins , find out what they are made off , is https://en.numista.com/ pictures of the 1903 USA/Philippines peso struck on the same blank as the Morgan dollar my favorate coin. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...t=pictures+of+1903+philippines+peso&FORM=IGRE

Last edited:
I enjoy golfing, sports, fishing, hunting, archery, yo-yoing, coin collecting, magnet fishing, computer programming, biking, making things, climbing trees, playing musical instruments & singing hymns, playing with our dog... as well as a lot of outdoor things.

Peanut, our MDing German Shepherd:
Peanut (Resized).jpg

Here are a couple of other threads of the same topic: :D

What are your other hobbies?

Other hobbies?

Last edited:
Other hobbies? Let’s see... Collecting and shooting firearms, flying my drone, hanging out with grandkids, watching movies with the wife, watching YouTube vids, riding my Harley, making Hip-Clips and hanging out at my motorcycle forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Ham radio operator. I get a kick out of talking to people in other countries. I still have CB's when driving long distance.
I belong to a Vol search and rescue group and that keep me somewhat busy. You can never ever know too much life savings stuff!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

My hobby of self-taught silversmithing turned into a thirty-plus year business for me. I used to collect firearms and reload for them. I only have a few left and no longer reload. I now collect knives, ball-point pens and flashlights. I sold them at my silversmithing booth and was always trying the latest models. Being raised on a farm I enjoy all outdoor activites. Before I went to Vietnam I always wanted to be a cartoonist. I collect Archie Digests and have over a thousand of them.

mushrooms, gardening, glass art, wood working, but they all seem to come in a very distant 2nd place to metal detecting.

Grandkids, firearms (shooting and reloading), archery, UTV riding (Can-Am Commander), video games, and most recently HAM radio (just passed my Technician license test).

QRP(5 watts or less output) amateur radio, playing with the grand kids, fishing, playing guitar.

I'm also a QRP'er. I need to try setting up my CrankIR antenna (a couple of friends have volunteered to help me). I haven't been on the air much lately, because my headset adapter for my Yaesu 817ND has developed an intermittent open, and I need to replace the cable. I only do CW a little, and haven't played around with any of the digital modes.

-- Tom

We have a "mini-farm". We keep about 35-40 chickens, we have rabbits we raise for meat and for sale, we raise hogs every other year to stock the freezers, a 1000 sq ft garden, a strawberry patch, and assorted fruit trees. My wife and I also deer hunt. I also have a 2 year old German Shorthaired Pointer that is my good buddy. When I am off work, she is with me constantly. Not sure if it counts as a hobby, but my elderly mother lives with us also. That takes up some time taking her to appointments and running errands for stuff she needs.

Playing guitar, flying drones, cars/classic/supercars

Started playing guitar when I was 8 and gigged from 1969 to 1989. Now I just record my own stuff in my home studio.

Love flying RC but Drones are my favorite. DJI Mavic pro and a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced.

Love my classic mustangs. From my 1964 1/2 convertible Mustang to my 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake.

Back
Top Bottom