New digging law North Myrtle Beach S.C.

poptopking

New law just passed. Anyone digging a hole 12 inches deep or more who fails to fill in said hole or leaves said hole unattended is subject to a 150.00 dollar fine.

Do y'all agree with the new City ordinance. Or not?

Hey PopTop,

I read about that, WHAT A RIOT!!!!

Now my scoop is big, but it cant scoop 12"... :lol:

One side is ok... but the Government digging into your wallet as you leave the beach.... What should we call them.... these detectives of depth? Pot hole patrol, Sheriff's of Tidal sand management?, it just makes me laugh, N. Myrtle Beach has a Tent Law too. No Tents, to close together, no tents close to the water, no tents in front of my sun, etc.. etc.. (well so does Myrtle Beach)

You dig and don't fill... its a Crisp $100.00 ticket... and please put some more $.25s in the parking meter on your way back home.

I love my Grand Strand and I completely respect and appreciate everyone that comes here, but it is sad how much they have to pay just to come relax.
I'm sorry, but this isn't "Hospitality" the way I see it.

On the lighter side.... Summer time, sure does share a lot of metal :cool:

Great Topic PopTop!!!

Mike

Nothing wrong with the law, in my opinion. Filling in the holes is part of detecting !

PARENTS BEWARE! Better make sure you or your kids fill dose big *** holes up!! :mad: I blame them! How many of you guys seen that.....I see it all the time here....I agree with it.

Last edited:
i think that same law should apply for dirt hunting in public parks as well, make a hole fill a hole

Agree

Its in the code of ethics for detectorists.

Should be a law. Any stinking hole you dig no matter how deep. fill the dang thing.
'

As I have said in my guide on beach hunting. If you want to continue to hunt the spots you like to hunt. You have to fill your holes.

Only takes 1 bad seed. if you havent noticed already. metal detecting is gradually becomming THE NATIONAL HUNTERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA.

Where next we will be fighting for our rights to be allowed to detect anywhere

.IF YOU DIG IT, FILL IT.

The government will eventually realize they can make more money
if they ban digging holes all together.

I don't agree with it.

The beach is the edge of a continent, stubborn to tame.
A place you should always tread carefully over anyway.

A place where anyone can be a kid again. We never dismantled
the forts my friends and I made. Only time did that.

Just to Recap the whole $100 ticket fine for digging a hole and not covering it up in North Myrtle Beach......

The City Council voted that this was focused on children. The little kiddies build moats around them selves or their castle. The City Council voted to charge $100.00 if caught leaving the hole, moat, anything dug into the sand more the 12", not just deep.

Council said it was to protect the Sea Turtles who after swimming in storms and bad tide, might not be able to lay their eggs.

Councils other concern was that night walkers would fall, trip and sue the city.

I would estimate that 90+ % on the holes are below the high tide line and would wash out within the next tide.

It really had nothing to do with us Loyal Thoughtful Beach Combers, whom cover their scooping while MDing.... I know cause my behind drags after me to smooth everything out:lol::lol:

I think Top Pop was share the silly side of city ordinance and ticketing.

Thanks Pop

Mike

Myrtle/Law

Well i guess some rookie dug some deep holes,didn't fill them in,and someone got hurt,Fill in your holes, or new laws will be passed in more places,& banning all together,people protect our hobby interests,Thank you :yes: Well i see a recap from Myrtle Beach (member),about the kids leaving the holes,good law,Ocean City Md the LGs will stop the kids from digging large holes and anyone else,reason is people can get hurt,if left un attended, or left for night fall

Last edited:
I agree with the ordinance. The key word is ANYONE. I just don't see how they will be able to prosecute kids who dig holes and leave them like they do here in Virginia Beach. Sounds like another "no teeth" ordinance. But good luck if it accomplishes it's intent.:yes:

I personally agree with it. I was detecting the other night just north of the Crown Reef.Almost every ten feet there was a scoop hole left. When I got there I counted SEVEN guys on the beach detecting. I dont mind that tourist detect the beach in fact I like tallinn to some of them, but please be considerate and take a second to kick sand back in your holes. Also if your target turns out to be a bottle cap, pull tab, or any other junk trash find pick it up. Dont just look at it, kick it with your toe and walk on. Thats the same kind of person that leaves his shopping buggy in a handicapped parking spot. Ok I feel better.

The law is more directed at the sand castle builders and kids but it will grow the more the city needs money. Also when I detect at night I smell more pot being smoked on the beach than at a cheech and chong festival. If they aren't getting caught I dont see them getting hole bandits.

meh

I agree with the ordinance. The key word is ANYONE. I just don't see how they will be able to prosecute kids who dig holes and leave them like they do here in Virginia Beach. Sounds like another "no teeth" ordinance. But good luck if it accomplishes it's intent.:yes:

Agreed. Another law that will be impossible to prove, prosecute and will never do anything but make people unhappy and clog up the courts even more. Wait till one of your kids gets nabbed for a sand castle he/she never dug but that's right beside your towel. It'll happen.......I guaranteeeeeeee it. The next step will be your tax money going to pay for new police men patrolling the beach. They'll need new supervisors. Who will need new directors......etc etc. Laws are bandaid solution, not the answer to problems. The only real answer is....watch where you're walking.

As someone already stated, those holes quickly fill in and pose little threat to anyone.

Ordinances aren't suicide pacts.
The likelihood of a kid being ticketed on a digging ordnance for building a sandcastle based is next to nil.
For example, there may be curfews in place for children outdoors after a certain hour, but a child fleeing a burning house isn't going to be ticketed, in spite of the law. On the freak occasions when some dumb authority figure makes a hysterical application of the law (for example, a kid having a butter knife in their lunch pail getting expelled for 'weapons in school'), it usually makes the news.

This is clearly meant to target adults engaged in the practice of digging (detectorists, tradesmen, etc). I support laws like this.
It's either laws to punish irresponsible practices, or all together, blanket bans. I know which I prefer.

I don't understand why all of these people that go to the beach have to dig those big holes. Are they looking for treasure? There ain't no treasure, the metal detector guys got it all.

A concern

The first concern I see about this new law is that it could turn into a Salem Witch hunt.

Scenario: You are out on the beach detecting and filling in your holes. Dennis the Menace digs a hole and leaves it unattended behind you. Barney Fife comes along sees the hole then sees you digging a target and decides to use you are the guilty party.

Your posted didn't say, but I hope that new law applies to "ALL" that leave holes including sand castle builders. It's a shame they had to even pass a law to cover peoples stupidity.

holes

if everybody was filling in there holes they would not of passed that law. the next step will probably be no metal detecting. strock

Back
Top Bottom