Need some help

Look for old pix of the beach in question...were there any fishing piers or swim platforms back in the day?
This beach has seen a few hurricanes and many of those beach homes have been totally demolished in the past and rebuilt. Of course that means a lot of junk to shift through. Unfortunately most of the debris was tossed away from the beach and into the marsh.

Cliff

Just for thought, instead of detecting during busy times. Be a observer. watch what people do, and where they go. Take note. On my beach South Padre I noticed a few board housewives would come and sunbath and read a book. while I detected I noticed they all had nice wedding rings shining in the sun. One day I went there wasn't anyone on the beach. I went to the area where they sunbath and guess what popped out. Yes one of there wedding rings. I kept asking each time I went but wasn't able to locate owner. Guess she got upset and never came back. The party beach I would skip and concentrate on places where others may overlook. Path from all those beach houses, possibly, if there is a place people rinse off, most women hate sand and want to wash it off quickly..possibly a few guys as well. research old photos of your area and see where things use to be and where they congregated. Be a investigator that's part of the fun locating the buried treasure, the hunt. Never get discouraged and ask all the questions you can to learn, some of the greatest metal detector operators are at your fingertips, I learn from them so I can get better results. Remember people say have a nice day? Well I think your better off making a nice day! Life is as you perceive it to be good or bad!

Keep Hunting!!!!!My friend.
No rinsing off places here. There are no utilities of any kind on the beach. Most people come here dressed for the beach or come from the beach homes you see in the picture. The crowd here is a mix of all kinds of people. I'm sure they drop things but the area is so large it's hard to know where to start. It would take years to cover even a small part of it.

I sure wish I could get a few of you ocean coast guys out here to see how you would handle it and what you would find. I'm sure I would learn something.

Cliff

So I know you said this is jeep weekend but is it normally packed with cars or is it just full of people? I ask because im wondering if all the goodies aren't buried out of reach with all the cars and stuff driving over it. And they wouldn't surface until a massive erosion comes and unearths everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Look for old pix of the beach in question...were there any fishing piers or swim platforms back in the day?

Even if/when someone isolates a hot spot (pleasure piers, etc...) of the old days, those can still be stingy sterile zones, if the sand is "in". In other words, it's back to : "It doesn't matter how much foot traffic was present in the previous day/years, if mother nature isn't cooperating".

Here where I'm at, we have spots that were SUPER TRAFFICKED bathing pavilions and amusement parks sort of beaches. Yet .... ironically, those haven't necessarily been the best spots to detect. Strangely, some of the biggest beach episodes (100 silver coin days, blah blah) have occurred on low-budget dog-walker blue-collar beaches.

NOT because "more coins weren't dropped there" at the super touristy spot, but simply because some other windswept beach, 10 miles away and seemingly more benign is more-prone to erosion cycles. While the "more touristy" beach is protected and tends to stay sanded in all the time . Such that , despite yesteryear traffic, you're only getting whatever's in the last few weeks or month. Versus a beach that erodes to bedrock (in a non-touristy zone) can give up scores more stuff.

So I know you said this is jeep weekend but is it normally packed with cars or is it just full of people? I ask because im wondering if all the goodies aren't buried out of reach with all the cars and stuff driving over it. And they wouldn't surface until a massive erosion comes and unearths everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It is usually busy during the summer months but only that bad on special weekends. However, it is usually totally covered with cars on most days with good weather. The beach is over 15 miles long and on a typical weekend there won't be very many spots with 20 yds between cars. You make a good point about stuff being rolled over. Most of the driving follows the same path thankfully. I usually spend most of my time closer to the wet sand and in shallow water. Other than that, up against the dunes but there is a lot of trash in that area.

Here are a couple pics of an average weekend this time of year after school starts.
e30b0ad8964783fb6b440c73d0c95669.jpg
cb571703074328d794678b341ba0356c.jpg

Cliff

Cliff take advantage of the high tides, as soon as your able to safely be there hunt it strong, when the sand moves out you will have a small window to hunt before sand recovers good targets. When we had the storm here at South Padre Island I was out there in the pouring rain heavy current, tide was coming in so didn't have long to hunt but learned what happens. large cuts form and two feet of sand removed all heavy objects pulled out to first sand bar. Wasn't able to get back out until three days later, you would not recognize site looks like nothing happened all sanded flat across. Fellow hunter found 3 gold next day after storm. I saw over 40 tent stakes laying in the sand while I hunted. like a mine field. Had a great adventure even though only clad, few of them had been there a long time. I will be there again way before tide comes in next time and hit hard as much as possible until sanded over. Don't give up that's why they call it hunting!

Cliff take advantage of the high tides, as soon as your able to safely be there hunt it strong, when the sand moves out you will have a small window to hunt before sand recovers good targets. When we had the storm here at South Padre Island I was out there in the pouring rain heavy current, tide was coming in so didn't have long to hunt but learned what happens. large cuts form and two feet of sand removed all heavy objects pulled out to first sand bar. Wasn't able to get back out until three days later, you would not recognize site looks like nothing happened all sanded flat across. Fellow hunter found 3 gold next day after storm. I saw over 40 tent stakes laying in the sand while I hunted. like a mine field. Had a great adventure even though only clad, few of them had been there a long time. I will be there again way before tide comes in next time and hit hard as much as possible until sanded over. Don't give up that's why they call it hunting!
This weather isn't going to give much of a break to get out there. Maybe this weekend. I'm sure it won't take long until it is back to normal though.

Where did you hunt, wet sand or in the water? It's probably going to be a while before it is safe in the water with the rip currents.

Cliff

Cliff, sorry for the delay in response, I tried to hunt on the drop off in wet sand but tides coming in almost knocked me off my feet. got there too late tide coming in. no treasure worth losing life over, could not get in water way to strong and dangerous.
Hope you were not in the flood area, stay safe and happy hunting.

Cliff, sorry for the delay in response, I tried to hunt on the drop off in wet sand but tides coming in almost knocked me off my feet. got there too late tide coming in. no treasure worth losing life over, could not get in water way to strong and dangerous.

Hope you were not in the flood area, stay safe and happy hunting.
I absolutely was in the flood area. We live in our RV and at 4AM we moved it to a slightly higher spot in the park. The water got to knee high but we were high enough to not get wet.

This pic was out of my back window at the high point.
2338c8b8f7ea944d0500b461dfede411.jpg

Cliff

Yikes! I'm glad you didn't get flooded out Cliff!

Just before we sold our house our neighborhood flooded and it came up to the house but didn't enter, so I know both how stressful it is and how lucky we/you were.

Be well my friend.

Bayou Talker, I've met you before at Boliver. You drive a white pickup. We didn't talk much but you did talk to my buddy for a while. He and I have had a lot of success beach hunting. However right now unless it's a fresh drop you won't find a lot. Now we have to wait for the winter storms to move some of that sand out. My buddy and I frequent a different beach quite often but right now we can't get to the jewelry that's been covered up. It's just too deep. I've found 4 gold rings and 8 silver rings along with two gold necklaces. It's been a fruitful year.

Around May though more sand starts washing up and it makes it difficult to find the deeper stuff. Usually what he and I do is we look for a place that has trash. That's an indication people were there and we start digging. Interestingly enough, most of the silver rings have been deep. The gold rings not so much.

Bayou Talker, I've met you before at Boliver. You drive a white pickup. We didn't talk much but you did talk to my buddy for a while. He and I have had a lot of success beach hunting. However right now unless it's a fresh drop you won't find a lot. Now we have to wait for the winter storms to move some of that sand out. My buddy and I frequent a different beach quite often but right now we can't get to the jewelry that's been covered up. It's just too deep. I've found 4 gold rings and 8 silver rings along with two gold necklaces. It's been a fruitful year.

Around May though more sand starts washing up and it makes it difficult to find the deeper stuff. Usually what he and I do is we look for a place that has trash. That's an indication people were there and we start digging. Interestingly enough, most of the silver rings have been deep. The gold rings not so much.
Maybe we will meetup again sometime. I need to get out to the beach for some therapy. I haven't been lucky enough to find any rings yet but I'm still looking. I just don't get to go enough. I don't like going by myself and my wife has been working extra lately. The highway from Winnie has been closed until a couple days ago since the flood. I might try to go one day next week.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom