AT Pro - CZ21 - Minelab Excalibur..W/Doc's Treasure Amp

OBN

OldCherryPicker
Forum Supporter
Spent a few hours today just going thur the Jersey files and this is what I came up with...one interesting thing I noticed..the excalibur hit the 7.5 gold at 14 inch's, no problem, but struggled to find it at 15? Maybe you were right bob, black sand. But no matter, the CZ punched thur what ever held the xcal back. Also the AT Pro got none of the targets when first tested but nailed the 10 inch small gold when we tried it second time around...Well, maybe we can line up again this fall, with more detectors. I learned alot from this meeting and for sure the CZ20 will be with me on the next trip. This was done in the Wetsand........

Very interesting Video OBN! Thanks and hats off to you for not only taking the time to do the research, and make the video, let alone share that info with the rest of us.

Good side by side comparison movie.Was the excal in pinpoint or just all metal? I'm so used to disc now I don't think I would be able to go back to am easily. I use it occasionally on iffy signals, but stick to disc pretty much all the time. I realise I'm losing a little depth, but the reverse discriminate just got too monotonous for me.

OBN.... next time try that IN the water as well if possible. It would be interesting to see the increased salt affects. I saw that over on NASA Toms site. Very cool.

Dew

Thanks for the vid and info, but I agree, try the comparisons in the salt water (will be harder, I know), it will be much more telling.

Great job Joe, Gives the user a good feel what to listen for at the same time keeping in mind of the Halo Effect (punching deeper). You never know whats down there so Investigate. Cool video. ;)

Interesting comparison with three different machines. Thanks for posting the video.

Another thing I'd like to mention.....here we have veterans, constantly testing and learning their machines, something us rookies should take special note of.

Was there any cross talk with the three machines that close ?

Nice post, thanks OBN. I have a lot of faith in the old CZ 20's I sure wish mine would not have died of old age. I don't get along with the "new" Fisher company so I won't buy a CZ 21 even for an extra inch of depth.

Thanks Guys, Always good to keep a open mind every time you head out.

Frank
Was the excal in pinpoint or just all metal?
Pp which is almetal with the excal. I hunt in the PP mode now almost all the time which once you get use to can give you added info about your target, then switching to disc can more or less finish off the decision on if your going to dig the target. I always say learn your xcal in discriminate, then after a few years then venture over to the other side. But at this point with the new xcal II's I would use the PP/Disc knob only if you have to.
Dew
next time try that IN the water as well if possible. It would be interesting to see the increased salt affects.
Maybe this fall when the water is a bit warmer. Even though we were a distance from the water, digging the holes were a problem because the walls were collapsing and filling as quick as I could dig them with sand and water.

My right hand was so cold from getting wet, I had a hard time turning the xcal knobs. Just remember that this test is only good for the area we hunted, conditions from one beach to the next can adversely affect the out comes.

RB
Thanks for the vid and info, but I agree, try the comparisons in the salt water (will be harder, I know), it will be much more telling.
Your welcome..Next trip to Florida, In the water test for sure..2014. Most of the Jersey hunters hunt the wetsand during the winter, and just a few venture out during the summer be on knee deep. Lesson learned, next video when I centeralize a test, I have to make sure that I point out it is just for the area and type of hunting this area gets the most.

fsa
Was there any cross talk with the three machines that close ?
Yes, a few times I could hear the other detectors, never the CZ21 but the AT Pro. The big killer is another xcal, or a Pi. Long story, but with the amp you are listening to a area of the thresold that is unstable..it's like a doctor's stethoscope listen to the sand. FSA, every time I headout to a different beach or area..I feel like a rookie...A great learning experance.

CanSlaw your 100% right, the old hunters of yesterday had a great machine in there CZ20's...And a Lifetime Warranty.

Last edited:
Couple of things here guys. Half a scoop out of the holes and it was wet soup. So much so that the holes were caving in on us. The water looks farther out than it was.

This kind of testing is a "comparison " of machines at measured depths. In no way a challenge .

If you think your surprised at the results. You should have been there. The last thing i expected was that my stock CZ was hitting deeper than OBNs amped Excal. I left baffled and with more questions than answers. For what it's worth we both swapped machines so we could hear first hand. The Excal was hitting the 15in target.. But you had to know it was there.

I would like to know what kind of depth OBN gets in a "un amped" mode running in Disc. I did a similar test last year on my local beach with a Stock Excal 1000, Sov GT, Etrac, AT Pro "before the upgrade" and my CZ. The CZ was deeper with the AT Pro coming in second. Nothing i nor Jim could do to tune the Minelabs. To get to hit on the target.

This is why i'm glad someone who knows the Excal so well could include us in this comparison.

For the record. My CZ-21 is a new built machine. It's not and upgraded 20 to a 21. It's not a Los Banos built machine .

Bob

Bob we had a excalibur II there we should have had him included, guess I was not thinking..we have to do this again next fall when the weather is warmer. Thanks again, I learned alot about the CZ's which I have plans for it and the DF in the bay here in maryland. One question, I had forgot we had the lg ring at 18 inch's...I think I noticed you said you could hit it? But very faint...Amazing if so...

Just a guess,.......My excalibur without the Amp would have "maybe" got those rings at 6 -8 - 10

Bob we had a excalibur II there we should have had him included, guess I was not thinking..we have to do this again next fall when the weather is warmer. Thanks again, I learned alot about the CZ's which I have plans for it and the DF in the bay here in maryland. One question, I had forgot we had the lg ring at 18 inch's...I think I noticed you said you could hit it? But very faint...Amazing if so...

Just a guess,.......My excalibur without the Amp would have "maybe" got those rings at 6 -8 - 10

Joe, Yes i was hearing a faint broken almost false like tone at 18. It wouldn't repeat and would pass off on it if sweeping along. It was barley coming though. I don't know if setting the Sens from 8 to 10 would have helped. I'm more than happy to do this again. It was great getting out with you guys. I learned lot from you and doing the tests. So much info to cover.

Back
Top Bottom