Have you cut the cord?

I just use Kodi and my netflix acct, can watch anything streaming wifi to my smart tv pretty seamlessly and very cheaply...

I just use Kodi and my netflix acct, can watch anything streaming wifi to my smart tv pretty seamlessly and very cheaply...

I did some research on kodi but seems kind of difficult to setup? Is it simple to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kodi is a bit of a pita to set up, but after that it works pretty slick. The addon you definatly want with Kodi is Genesis, seems to give the best streaming links. Think of Kodi as the platform and there are other addons depending on what you will want to do. All the addons are free, and when in doubt you can check youtube for install help videos...

Kodi is a bit of a pita to set up, but after that it works pretty slick. The addon you definatly want with Kodi is Genesis, seems to give the best streaming links. Think of Kodi as the platform and there are other addons depending on what you will want to do. All the addons are free, and when in doubt you can check youtube for install help videos...

I downloaded it this morning and also an add on from a developer in the U.K. It's pretty amazing stuff but I am trying to figure out where ESPN is right now I might have to try another add on

Yeah Kodi is confusing to set up but there are like a million youtube videos to guide people through it. My experience with it so far is somewhat limited but I can already see its worth the effort.

I understand exactly zero of all this technical jargon you guys are talking about. What I do understand is growing up on antenna tv, cost=electric used. It worked than and it works for me now. I'm an old bullheaded Dutchman and refuse to pay for something I can get for free, just like bottled water when I have a tap and a well.

I live almost exactly 1/2 way (65miles) between two major towns/cities and get 24 channels off my antenna.

I have stayed many nights in motel rooms in various towns so had maybe 100 or so channels at my disposal and after running through all of them I might find 2 or 3 things that even interested me. Never impressed!

At home I can renew friendships with all my childhood heros and see many episodes of shows and movies (yes they are in color) that I don't remember seeing before and semi-recent movies on one or two channels plus the latest news and weather.

I have no Wi-Fi so at times my internet service on this tablet I am writing this on and follow forums is a bit slow as is Google but not too bad.

Free antenna tv.....priceless!

Don

My father-in-law had it and when he passed we TRIED to change it to our name and only get the basic setup. After talking to FOUR representatives, they kept it in his name and RAISED the price! We keep getting threats AND requests to continue, but it's always a letter or phone call to his name! What's so funny-he had HDTV setup w/amplifier setup also-we get some great PBS performances and just about as much news and sports as before-plus some info channels on DIY how to's. I guess sooner or later they will remember our telling them he has passed. It was really an insult they didn't listen, as we miss him very much.:no:

ohiochris, on kodi the fastest way is to just gounder say tv shows and then search for the show, pretty much any series any episode is there. Usually if it hits the airwaves in the US it will be on there within and hour if it is a popular series, within two hours for less popular shows...
Good luck, it can be confusing at first but seems to stream well with the Genesis add on.

ohiochris, on kodi the fastest way is to just gounder say tv shows and then search for the show, pretty much any series any episode is there. Usually if it hits the airwaves in the US it will be on there within and hour if it is a popular series, within two hours for less popular shows...
Good luck, it can be confusing at first but seems to stream well with the Genesis add on.

That much I have figured out but I try to show my wife and son how to use it and they just give a blank stare :lol: If they cant push one button and make the magic happen they are lost. I still have to figure out the live tv system for it.

I have it on my home computer for now but will eventually get a streaming system for the tv. Amazon fire stick looks like a low cost way to get into it but Im also looking at something called raspberry pi 3 that is almost as cheap but its more versatile and can even work as a fully functioning computer. If you wanted it to. Choices.....so many choices :lol:

That much I have figured out but I try to show my wife and son how to use it and they just give a blank stare :lol: If they cant push one button and make the magic happen they are lost. I still have to figure out the live tv system for it.

I have it on my home computer for now but will eventually get a streaming system for the tv. Amazon fire stick looks like a low cost way to get into it but Im also looking at something called raspberry pi 3 that is almost as cheap but its more versatile and can even work as a fully functioning computer. If you wanted it to. Choices.....so many choices :lol:

That's the same dilemmas I am encountering

If I was on my own and had a little better internet service I would cut the cord. With a wife and two kids under the age of 12 the $100.00 a month I pay is worth it to keep them happy. Fortunately my kids are as attached to electronics as many of their friends, they spend a lot of time in athletics, outdoors, we raise chickens, honey bees, and they like to detect. But there is still a few shows that they love to watch.

Gave up dish and cable !! I get several air channels and the quality is as good as dish or cable . I added Netflix , which so far has been great .

I cut it off about 6 months ago and got an antenna as well. Also have 4 kids at home but they were always on the Xbox/PS4 so I hardly ever watched it anyway and neither did they. Don't even miss it and also like saving $100 a month.

I cut a completely different cord 10 years ago. The landline telephone cord. When the Bells and AT&T were competing heavily to keep landline prices high, I switched to VOIP at $20 a month (remember Vonage?). Had a similar VOIP for about 3 years, then completely ditched that too because cell phones became much more accesible (even for the kids).

My house was built in 1986 and has a telephone jack in our master bathroom, now it has a cat5 outlet even though we've never used it. :laughing:

This will be my last year with DTV, Thou I liked it I can get anything I want on my Kodi app which is on my Firestick along with on my tablets. I had it with DTV when they lost the battle with a local channel we watch and when I called them and said "you charge me more when I add channels you will credit me when I loose channels" That was a 30 minute conversation they did not seem to understand...Bye Bye DTV

Comcast keeps you on the phone for at least a half hour talking to a machine till you get fed up or have to leave and you hang up and guess what? You still have cable !! I need to clear an entire afternoon, mix a pitcher of drinks, and just DO IT !!! The time is coming . Maybe the next blizzard when I'm stuck indoors. Of course l'll probably lose my phone connection and will have to put it off again:laughing:

This will be my last year with DTV, Thou I liked it I can get anything I want on my Kodi app which is on my Firestick along with on my tablets. I had it with DTV when they lost the battle with a local channel we watch and when I called them and said "you charge me more when I add channels you will credit me when I loose channels" That was a 30 minute conversation they did not seem to understand...Bye Bye DTV

Exactly Mike! I love kodi so far just trying to figure out how to get live programming so I can stream my braves in April.

Comcast keeps you on the phone for at least a half hour talking to a machine till you get fed up or have to leave and you hang up and guess what? You still have cable !! I need to clear an entire afternoon, mix a pitcher of drinks, and just DO IT !!! The time is coming . Maybe the next blizzard when I'm stuck indoors. Of course l'll probably lose my phone connection and will have to put it off again:laughing:

Yeah it's pretty insulting how they offer to cut the price when you get ready to cancel. When I cut DTV the lady asked me if there was a price I would be willing to accept in order to stay? I said yeah "0"

Exactly Mike! I love kodi so far just trying to figure out how to get live programming so I can stream my braves in April.

I am currently doing the same thing with live stream or least trying to currently so I can watch my Packers, Brewers and Bucks. Let me tinker with it more and if I have an answer I will let you know bud. The struggle is real...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom