First Gold Find of 2017

Leave-No-Coins-Behind

Forum Supporter
Ok, the holidays are over...and I had not gone detecting this year yet. I had planned on taking down the Christmas decorations today, but since it was nice outside, I said to myself, the decorations can wait another day or heck maybe until next Christmas.

It was late in the afternoon, so due to time restrictions, I decided to do a local sport field/jogging trail area. The ground was nice and wet after all the rain we recently had gotten. I was picking up the usual clads, until I got this multi-nickel like signal on my Tejon. And on my imaginary display screen, (the display that is between my ears on my head)...it said to dig it. The first object I discovered and dug was canslaw , but next to it in the same hole, which I thought was another flip top was this vintage 14k gold ring, with what appears to be surrounded by six small diamonds and a large blue sapphire type stone. The ring was a solid 4 to 5" down.

All in all, a good way to "ring" in the New Year. My findings were: 8-quarters, 9-dimes, 4 nickels, several zincs cents, a costume hair jewelry piece and 1-gold ring and a lot of flip tops!

Attachments

• 01042017 First Finds of 2017 001_low.jpg
    01042017 First Finds of 2017 001_low.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 531
  • 01042017 First Finds of 2017 007.jpg
    01042017 First Finds of 2017 007.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 618
Now thats a beautiful find and a great write up about the hunt...chasing that strange double nickel signal, hitting the foil masking, and pulling that Gold! Well Done!
Mud

Boy ole boy that's a fantastic gold diamond ring. The Tejon hits super hard on gold rings. Slap a CleanSweep search coil on that sucker and you will have a field day at a sports field.

beephead

That's AWESOME!!
I've been heeding the lessons from our hunt Sensei. Been pulling up a lot more nickels and ring-pulls (And a ton more clad).

What is the stamp inside?
I found a similar ring and it was made by a famous jeweler from the late 1800s early 1900s. The jeweler died on the titanic!
Yours just reminded me of mine. But its a pretty common style.

Before and after. I was lucky to find my stone because after 100years in the ground the prongs corroded of the ring. I had it restored.

I like yours because of the diamonds

Attachments

• 20150829_173614-1.jpg
    20150829_173614-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 400
  • 20150727_163937-2.jpg
    20150727_163937-2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 358
Update us on that ring Jak...Especially since HannibalNectars post of a similar design...Have you learned anything about its pedigree? You may really have something there...Hope so!
Mud

Ring Update-01/08/17

Thanks to my son, since hi-tech stuff and I don't agree...he was able to get some close-ups of the markings inside the ring. Note, the ring band is thin
(.057") or approx. 1/16" at the point of the markings. The markings other than the 14k are kind of fuzzy...it appears to read "IU" or "IL" or even "III" next to the right side of the 14k marking. I hope to have a jeweler look at it, but its been so darn cold and snowing here lately.

goldringmarkings010817.jpg

Ring add photos 002.jpg

Ring add photos 006.jpg

I'll tell you right now.. ifthat sapphire is legit, it's worth some $$. Those are not common in that size!

Back
Top Bottom