Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II vs Tesoro Sand Shark

I prefer the Sand Shark. It has an external volume control and lacks the fictitious "Discrimination" knob that the Sea hunter has.

Both are waterproof but only the Tesoro has a lifetime warranty.

The discrimination knob as Garrett calls it is actually the pulse delay knob, something the Sand Shark does not have. See "Sticky" above for explanation.

I have owned a lot of Garrett's over the years, and none of them ever needed repairing. I did have a second hand one that broke in shipping and Garrett replaced it at no charge blaming it on their box. That says a lot for a company in my opinion.

Just so that I do NOT misunderstand, the pulse timing is "set" and CANNOT be adjusted manually:?: Whereas on the Garrett Infinium LS, for instance, you can adjust the pulse timing. I guess my main question is: Is it a fairly rare occurrance for one needing to adjust the pulse delay:?: I know ALL detectors have their pros/cons in some form or fashion so is it one of those yes and no's type of things for the Tesoro Sand Shark? Thank you all.

HH \_

Yes, the Sand Shark has a set pulse delay. It is set at about 20uS, as it is intended to use in the water. Up on the wet sand, you can use a 15uS, and the difference in depth is maybe 1/4"-1/2", and when you go in the water, you'll hear each wave go over your coil with a rise and fall in the threshold. At 10uS, you are missing targets and running way too hot in most sand.

The Sand Shark is set at the ideal water, and farm field hunting level, and takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process. Remember, Garrett calls their Delay adjuster a "discriminator." That means you can start losing targets if you don't have a real good idea of what you're doing!

Where in south Jersey? I'm in seaside and black sand is minimal, even the Compadre would run over it but only good for a few inches depth. I don't think one really knows which md will work best individually untill you get one and try it. I've got 2 now and [think] I have it figured out what I want next to suit my hunting habits

Where in south Jersey? I'm in seaside and black sand is minimal, even the Compadre would run over it but only good for a few inches depth. I don't think one really knows which md will work best individually untill you get one and try it. I've got 2 now and [think] I have it figured out what I want next to suit my hunting habits

There was no particular beach in Jersey. Just alot of generalized discussions I was reading. I'll be mostly hunting around Avalon/Stone Harbor. I live in Mount Laurel.

Avalon should be some decent hunting,they have some strange rules down that way so check if permit needed, it's been 20yrs since I lived down that area so not sure on soil condition. GL with you md decision

I'm NOT saying that you are NOT...

Yes, the Sand Shark has a set pulse delay. It is set at about 20uS, as it is intended to use in the water. Up on the wet sand, you can use a 15uS, and the difference in depth is maybe 1/4"-1/2", and when you go in the water, you'll hear each wave go over your coil with a rise and fall in the threshold. At 10uS, you are missing targets and running way too hot in most sand.

The Sand Shark is set at the ideal water, and farm field hunting level, and takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process. Remember, Garrett calls their Delay adjuster a "discriminator." That means you can start losing targets if you don't have a real good idea of what you're doing!

So what is your "honest" NO BS opinion about the pros/cons of the Tesoro Sand Shark and the Garrett Infinium LS and/or even the Whites DF??? I'm NOT saying that you are NOT honest with your posts as I read and try to learn from what you say... so just to let you know!!!

I don't CARE about a lifetime warranty as funny and ridiculous as that sounds. THAT is NOT going to help me find my good target(s) other than make me feel all warm and comfy inside:roll: Seriously people... I don't just go and base my purchases off of "lifetime warranty" that's just ridiculous nonsense to do that... whatever makes you happy I guess is what it comes down to... Just like people don't like the "bell tones" of the ACE and in return doesn't bother me a bit...

So Terry, I'm just asking, what would be your humble opinion and/or expert opinion on the pros/cons of the Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites DF, etc? So far you have "taught"/given me quite a bit of information to take and learn frm and THAT I VERY MUCH appreciate sir!!! Thank you for your help Terry and HH \_ to you...

:D

Attachments

• can of worms.jpg
    can of worms.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,551
oh no:no: NOT my intentions AT ALL!!! I just want to "learn" without ANY BS biased opinions. For example, YES, I like my ACE250, BUT, I ALSO want to buy other detectors as well... just can't do it right now... first thing is first, FOOD then A ROOF OVER HEAD!!! Anyways, just for once I wish the biasing would "hault" for a moment and give some pros/cons on the different detectors... in this case, the PI's for instance. It is what it is now...

BTW... what I "do for a living" requires REAL data and NOT BS answers or hearsay. So in kindof a way, "honest opinions" with no bias would be analogous to this question that I am asking about the differences with the PI's. For Example, if I was to give the "Senior Engineer" my guessed data I would have my as- handed to me and just today finding out I'm about to be put into a "higher position" in assisting with new prototypes... NOT what I REALLY want and/or expecting to like to do. SOOO, again, it is what it is with the questions!!!

HH \_

Avalon should be some decent hunting,they have some strange rules down that way so check if permit needed, it's been 20yrs since I lived down that area so not sure on soil condition. GL with you md decision

I've already emailed the Boro and got a responce back saying, and I quote: "Yes it's legal, have fun and enjoy." I also checked and you don't need a permit after Labor day.
:yes:

So what is your "honest" NO BS opinion about the pros/cons of the Tesoro Sand Shark and the Garrett Infinium LS and/or even the Whites DF??? I'm NOT saying that you are NOT honest with your posts as I read and try to learn from what you say... so just to let you know!!!

I don't CARE about a lifetime warranty as funny and ridiculous as that sounds. THAT is NOT going to help me find my good target(s) other than make me feel all warm and comfy inside:roll: Seriously people... I don't just go and base my purchases off of "lifetime warranty" that's just ridiculous nonsense to do that... whatever makes you happy I guess is what it comes down to... Just like people don't like the "bell tones" of the ACE and in return doesn't bother me a bit...

So Terry, I'm just asking, what would be your humble opinion and/or expert opinion on the pros/cons of the Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites DF, etc? So far you have "taught"/given me quite a bit of information to take and learn frm and THAT I VERY MUCH appreciate sir!!! Thank you for your help Terry and HH \_ to you...

The three machines all have about the SAME capabilities as treasure hunters. None have a distinct advantage over the others in skilled or unskilled hands. I have used all three, and all three have found treasure.

I use the Sand Shark with the 8" coil because it is the lightest, easiest to use machine of the three, it is built by people I know personally, costs a lot less than the other two, and if I ever do break it, I'll have it back in less than three-weeks no questions asked.

That's as honest as I can be.

The three machines all have about the SAME capabilities as treasure hunters. None have a distinct advantage over the others in skilled or unskilled hands. I have used all three, and all three have found treasure.

I use the Sand Shark with the 8" coil because it is the lightest, easiest to use machine of the three, it is built by people I know personally, costs a lot less than the other two, and if I ever do break it, I'll have it back in less than three-weeks no questions asked.

Terry... thank you VERY MUCH!!! That is all I was asking for was just no biasing involved and you did it with an AWESOME response. :hi5::thumbsup:

HH \_ to you Terry

Terry, I have one last question about the Sand Shark... "IF" I was to get the 8" Coil version would I be able to change it to the 10"? That is, WITHOUT sending the unit in to Tesoro? I like the ability to be able to change coils just like race car drivers have the ability to "choose" the type of tires they would like to race with, if you know what I mean??? If this is possible, I can't seem to find the "changeout" coils? It looks as if you either buy the 8" and/or 10" coil, meaning you get what you get and IF you want the other size coil then you would have to send the unit in to replace it??? Thanks Terry.

HH \_

Terry, I have one last question about the Sand Shark... "IF" I was to get the 8" Coil version would I be able to change it to the 10"? That is, WITHOUT sending the unit in to Tesoro? I like the ability to be able to change coils just like race car drivers have the ability to "choose" the type of tires they would like to race with, if you know what I mean??? If this is possible, I can't seem to find the "changeout" coils? It looks as if you either buy the 8" and/or 10" coil, meaning you get what you get and IF you want the other size coil then you would have to send the unit in to replace it??? Thanks Terry.

HH \_

The coils unfortunately are not interchangeable.

HH \_

You would have to buy the 10.5" coil, and have the factory switch it out every time you wanted to switch the coils. It is a pain in the you-know-what. I thought long and hard about which coil to get. Rusty Henry, a friend, original member of SEAL Team 2, legendary beach and gold nugget prospector - not to mention working as the Tesoro Quality & Service Manager for the last 21-years, convinced me to go with the 8". He was right..

Good Luck!

You would have to buy the 10.5" coil, and have the factory switch it out every time you wanted to switch the coils. It is a pain in the you-know-what. I thought long and hard about which coil to get. Rusty Henry, a friend, original member of SEAL Team 2, legendary beach and gold nugget prospector - not to mention working as the Tesoro Quality & Service Manager for the last 21-years, convinced me to go with the 8". He was right..

Good Luck!

NICE!!! a SEAL!!! That's just AWESOME!!! I am SOOO proud of our military and just THUMBS UP to the men and women who serve!!!

Thank you Terry for your help. I REALLY do appreciate it. HH \_ to you bud...

Mortarman,

Is this going to be the only detector you will be using ? Reason I am asking is, a PI unit is a specialized unit for working in the water and wet sand. It is not the most optimal unit for semi-wet and dry sand, where more trash will be found.

There will be times where most if not all of the targets will be up high, in more trashy areas ( remember, conditions dictate beach hunting success more than any thing else including which unit a person is using). When those conditions prevail, a VLF unit with discrimination is the more optimal machine.

Hopefully you have a VLF unit in the stable when you go on vacation in case the water is too rough or targets are in more trashy spots where discrimination is a necessity.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom