Electrolysis: My setup

I like the phone charger because it takes up so little space. Other than the cleaning tank, it's a little larger than 3".

I like the fuse idea.
With a 5v charger, what size fews would I use?

Attachments

• low res eletro.jpg
    low res eletro.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,275
With a 5v charger, what size fews would I use?

It's the amperage that matters for a fuse. How many amps, A (or milliamps, mA) is the charger rated for at 5V? Example: If it's 500mA, then you need a 0.5A fuse (or smaller). I think that a 12V DC (automotive type) fuse should do fine, just make sure that the amperage rating is correct. If anyone knows otherwise (about using a 12 VDC fuse for a 5 VDC circuit, please correct me.

kendallkirk , i see your from SC , why not join us on a hunt ?

I'd like to do that...but I'm on the opposite side of the state from you. I live between Anderson and Clemson in the upstate. If I'm going to be in your neighborhood, I'll let you know, do the same if you come up this way. Looks like you have some more exciting places to hunt pinned down than I do, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the invite.

Cool projects you guys, but becareful with that toxic stuff.

Stay Safe.

electrolisis question

i have a machine that my grampa gave to my dad before he died and then rolled down to me and i use it. but when i do the metal piece that is supposed to go in the water is slowly breaking and coming apart is my solution too strong or am i doing something wrong? thought i would ask you guys if your building your own im sure you know alot about it. i would be greatfull for any help you may have.

i have a machine that my grampa gave to my dad before he died and then rolled down to me and i use it. but when i do the metal piece that is supposed to go in the water is slowly breaking and coming apart is my solution too strong or am i doing something wrong? thought i would ask you guys if your building your own im sure you know alot about it. i would be greatfull for any help you may have.

Make sure your wires are hooked up correctly.....it does make a different.

If the metal piece (not part being cleaned) is doing the bubbleing then the wires will need to be switched.

PS: The metal piece will have to be replaced often, because it will corrode badly.

Make sure your wires are hooked up correctly.....it does make a different.

If the metal piece (not part being cleaned) is doing the bubbleing then the wires will need to be switched.

PS: The metal piece will have to be replaced often, because it will corrode badly.

hey thanks for the input. it has ground and pos on the machine and the cabels so i know its hooked up right. but sounds like this is what is supposed to happen from what you say about it needing to be replaced often is that right?

Electrolysis

It is a long, but interesting process. Every few years I go to St. Augustine Florida on vacation. At the Fountain of Youth there is a cannonball on display going through this process. I always stop by and check on the process, and see how my cannon ball is doing.

I was in Charleston when they raised the Submarine thee USS Hunley.

I was able to get a tour of the sub, and was next to the tanks where the process was going on.

The spar portion was at my feet, and I was so tempted to stick my hand in the water and touch history, but because of the electrical current, I decided not to take a chance and become part of history.

Landshark

wow this is something i need to get into for sure. i find a lot of railroad iron relics and such in my area and would love to have them cleaned up. Great read!!

Is that a regular automotive battery charger as the power supply? I have a 12 amp charger somewhere in my pile. It would be great if it would work.

Thanks kendallkirk and zaxfire69 for the photos and info.

I use a 6v battery charger for motorcycles but a 12v will work as well. One of these days when I can get back out and find metal (too hot and dry) I will get pics of my setup. It works great. As far as amperage is concerned, a 12 amp should be just fine. If I am not mistaken, it's the voltage that is what makes the difference.

A superb set of instructions my friend. Some good ideas in the follow up thread. I will be building a similar setup for cleaning my iron finds.

Will this system help to remove concretions from beach finds? Or is there an other method that I should be looking for? I have a number of small iron finds that are completely encased in concretions.

Wire diagram

Could you post a wire diagram of your set up,I have some horse shoes and other items I want to clean and would like to have a setup.
Are you runing the positive leads to the can pieces on both side then the negative leads to the piece to be cleaned?

Great post finding lots of iron objects in the yard wanted to clean them but wasn't sure on how to do it. Thank you for your post

It's the amperage that matters for a fuse. How many amps, A (or milliamps, mA) is the charger rated for at 5V? Example: If it's 500mA, then you need a 0.5A fuse (or smaller). I think that a 12V DC (automotive type) fuse should do fine, just make sure that the amperage rating is correct. If anyone knows otherwise (about using a 12 VDC fuse for a 5 VDC circuit, please correct me.

You are correct. The fuse voltage rating is the maximum voltage it should be used for. Anything less than 12 volts will be ok. The voltage ratings are there to ensure that the voltage won't jump the gap of the open fuse.

Back
Top Bottom