First Hunt with the AT Pro

kreagerm

Elite Member
I was able to take the AT Pro out for the first time, and what a difference from the F2 I was used to. After watching all the Garrett video's and all the youtube video's and reading all the posts, I figured I would just take it out to the local school and give it a spin. After ground balancing in my high iron soil it balanced at 93 which I thought was high, but manually lowering it would just bring on interference. I found that the large 8x11 coil may be a big problem with my soil, very chatty in pro zero mode, so chatty I had to notch out a lot of descrepincy and it was still ungodly chatty. I found my best results were in the standard mode and then when I got a hit I would switch it over to pro mode and that worked.

I found my best results were when I was in the tot lot where it's all mulch, that provided user friendly detecting in pro mode. By eliminating that high iron soil, there was no chatter, that was nice on the ears.

All in all it was a fun day, dug lots of targets and ended up with $1.24 in clad.

btw, I also tried many things to attack that high chatter issue in pro mode, like change frequences and sensitivity, but nothing worked.

I'm thinking because there was a big difference in chatter between the mulch lot and the soil it has to be the soil causing the problem, correct?

Others mentioned to get the 5x8 coil, and I will be, but have others had this chatter problem with their 8x11 coils? Is this high chatter common for high iron soil?

Tomorrow I'm hitting a different location, so I can't wait to see how the chatter is there. I'm also going to really play with the frequences more.

Matt

Attachments

• atpro1.jpg
    atpro1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 571
Possible you also might have turned on your iron audio? that or lower the sensitivity

I was playing with the iron audio,but that sound is very different in tone then this chatter. The iron audio was a nice low tone, this chatter is ruff and loud.

The sound almost reminds me of a ipad/iphone cable plugged into your car stereo and then you wiggle the cable, that loud crackle sound, very annoying.

i would make sure your coil is on properly again, take it off and put it back on. Check your coil to see if its cracked as well.

ATPRO and mineral soil

Here in Western Washington my ATP regularly GB's at 90 to 93 and rarely below 87 because of our volcanic black sand soil. My machine is not chatty in fairly clean parks but get into an iron trashy relic situation in zero mode and it talks at me more than my wife! But just like my wife talking, you know when something important is being said and then listen up! Remember, you are hearing EVERYTHING, every nuance of rusted out ionic iron all the way to the high silvers. Also remember to keep your swing at a reasonable speed because a too fast approach to even a moderate conductor will give a steep gradient of change which can fool your machine into thinking it is a high conductor. The noise in the trash was intimidating at first but when you learn what your machine is telling you, You start digging good finds amongst the trash that others have missed. If you don't like the low conductor chatter then set your Iron discrimination to 35 and when you get a good signal, hit the iron audio on and check for iron..................metalwrkr

Thanks for the great advice. Here is what I found today. If I run the ATP with iron audio on the entire time there seems to be much less chatter, well atleast for my ears anyway. I also noticed less chatter when I hit a new spot and my ground balance was at 83 as supposed to where I was yesterday at 93. Having the iron audio on really helped me find the good targets easily, because they just jumped right out there at you. I think it's just part of the learning curve. And I think I'm starting to get a better understanding of this machine every time I fire it up.

Thanks again for all the great knowledge on this forum!!!
Matt

Are you using your Iron audio in the ZERO mode? The iron audio only works on the portion of iron that is discriminated out. If you use it in zero mode (no iron discriminated), it tends to mute the iron tones. This is covered in your manual.............Russ K.

I'm only coin hunting. So far I'm finding all the clad rings in at 76 and higher. Everything below that has been bottle caps and aluminum. Right now I dig it all just to see what each reading means.

I'm only coin hunting. So far I'm finding all the clad rings in at 76 and higher. Everything below that has been bottle caps and aluminum. Right now I dig it all just to see what each reading means.

A *ton* of gold rings have been found in the foil/pull tab range.

I just ordered my AT PRO. I have been watching all the videos I can to make sure I dont disc anything I want by accident. My first week will be going through all my old cans, nails and aluminum trash that I have been saving.

You'll notice you have NO Nickles..... I did the same thing. Nickles ring in with a mid tone and in my soil a solid 51/52. I rehunted sites where I found peneys, dimes and quarters and found nickles after I realized my mistake. If you are running full sensitivity turn it down a notch or two in chatty areas. You won't miss much if anything. Put it in Pro Coin when hunting only coins, until you are more confident.

I was confused by the chatter at a beach I hunt regularly. So, I went to a much extreme chatter. less used beach, no chatter, a more used beache and still more chatter. The first beach

It wasn't until my 3rd time out that I really got used to the chatter and now I run my iron discrimination at 35 and keep everything else wide open. It just took a while to get used to the ground chatter I was getting. But now that I'm used to it, I changed the way I hunt and now it's easier to hear targets. I found a V nickel the other day, probably because I'm only discriminating iron now.

Back
Top Bottom