Anyone use the 6" coil for equinox?

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
I'm debating on ordering the 6" coil for my Nox. Hoping to get a little input from you guys tho before I do. We hunt plenty of old trashy parks which is the main reason I've been thinking about picking one up but how much depth will I be sacrificing?

There are exactly TWO ways to increase depth Chris, those are:
1) Larger coil
2) Increase sensitivity

What you and all the rest of us are looking for is INTELLIGIBLE depth. This is WHY it is all too common for someone to INCREASE sensitivity and LOSE the targets they seek because they can’t pick that “BLIP!” out of the noise. One of the HUGE advantages of a tiny coil really applies to the urban hunter mostly...and that is, they are not as sensitive to the effects of EMI. If you can only turn the sensitivity up to 16 with the stock coil on the EQX before it becomes unintelligible...EVEN after noise canceling and choosing the best frequency...it won’t hold a candle to the 6” coil at sensitivity of 22 running smoothly.
In a controlled air test with my CTX, the 17” coil will produce a response on a Merc in good condition which I would investigate at 11” running at a sensitivity of 25 (30 is max). The stock 11” coil is decent at 10” and the 6” coil reads it nicely at 9”. Here’s the kicker...almost NOWHERE I hunt would even allow a setting of 25, UNLESS I was using the 6” coil. In a wide open park in the suburbs, the big coils produce the best, because an inch of depth matters...ALOT! But right downtown...a type of place I don’t hunt much...the 6” coil is the clear winner, IF EMI is a factor.
All of this is my own opinion based on thousands of hours of swinging different machines and coils. I know what works here and what doesn’t, but others have more intel on the EQX itself, I have not completely figured that guy out yet...:lol:

Last edited:
What IDX said and the same goes for me during gold prospecting or relic hunting in dirt that is too mineralized for the 11" coil. The 6" coil will not see as much of the hot dirt when close to the ground just due to it's size (similar to the EMI IDX mentioned). So it will operate much more quietly, ground balances quickly and good targets are easy to hear. Even at sensitivity settings of 15 to 20 it will get depth on coin sized objects deeper than its physical diameter. So, it punches way bigger than its size IF the operator doesn't overload it by turning up the sensitivity too high. Don't get greedy with the 6" coil. It was not built or intended to be used maxed out for depth. I do sometimes run it as hot as possible when I am finishing up an area that has produced really small sized gold nuggets that are really little like smaller than 0.1 grams. Otherwise, it will unmask larger targets much better at lower sensitivity levels.

Jeff

Remember the 6” is a small coil and it will not actually cover 6” especially with overlaps you not gonna cover a very large ares.
It’s for tight trash areas and bushes .
But in certain areas it will shine.
Doug

I hunted an old wash line yesterday that my buddy did on Monday with his 11" coil. It was really trashy and he only pulled two zinc pennies. I went back yesterday using my Nox with 6" coil and pulled three wheat pennies along with three 70's pennies and a 70 quarter. One wheatie was a 1919. You have go slow and from different angles but it really separates the treasures from the junk.

Steve

I use my 6" coil all the time on my Nox 800. Swings nice and easy on the shoulder. I rarely use the bigger coils. I have no problems with the smaller coil as I mostly dig clads. I'm an old dog so the lighter coil gives me exactly what I need.

I was actually pretty impressed with the depth the small coil can achieve on the Nox. You will lose a little, but not nearly as much as I was expecting.

The video below has a comparison showing stock coil vs 6" coil at around 6:43. Its just an air test but should give you a general idea.

Holy cow this turned into a much larger topic than I anticipated lol. Tank you all for the input! I truly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom