• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Stay away from sunspot tooling / stealth scoops

beachrumbum

I recently purchased a stealth extreme scoop with carbon fiber handle, the handle was supposed to have a textured “fish scale” pattern to stop it from slipping when wet. Shipping was fast and I was initially happy with service, then it all broke down. I received my scoop and handle and quickly assembled it, soon after or during I realized the handle was put together backwards and the handle is very slippery when pulling on it and it grips when pushing, not useful. I contacted sunspot less than an hour after receiving it, explained my issue and sent a video. At first it seemed as if the woman I was interacting with was trying to help, after a few back and forth I was told all their stock is wrong and that they had no Idea it was supposed to go together like that and thanked me for letting them know, dear god. I was at first offered a hack job where I send my handle back, they cut it up and glue a rubber handle on the already cut end essentially swapping the handle around, I refused as I did not pay for a hack job, my other option is a full refund for the handle and I am stuck trying to source one. I asked if I could just swap the handle for the correct one when they could manufacture it and I was declined,wth? This handle and scoop is supposed to both have a lifetime warranty, in my experience it is until you receive it defective then it is a big f u from sunspot. They even suggested they will just turn around and resell it. Then they stopped all communication with me whatsoever. Again I bought the handle, it is defective and I want a replacement. Not rocket science, just get me a handle. They are pushing now to send me a return label for a refund and I have half a mind to turn around and purchase again so we can play this game as I can’t hunt as much as I like now anyway. I am extremely irritated and feel the need to warn others that this company does business in a shady fashion. If they decide to make this right I will update here and consider closing their thread.

Last edited:
I have the Stealth 720i that I bought directly from Chuck when he owned Sunspot. Of course zero issues and has been an awesome scoop.
I needed to lighten up my scoop setup because of two shoulder surgeries and OA so I bought the Xtreme Titanium scoop and handle. What a difference in weight. It allowed me to keep detecting for an extra hour so I was able to snag a Tiffany on the first day of use.
I realize that most people don’t want to spend so much on a scoop and CF handle but I needed something lighter to keep me in the game.
I don’t have a boat, hot rod or any other high ticket hobbies so buying the titanium was affordable for me.
After scoring the Tiff on the first day of use it essentially was paid for. I couldn’t be happier with my choice.
Best of luck with the ordeal of dealing with the people at the current Sunspot. Hope it gets resolved!

It’s quite disappointing the way it has been handled, I have been offered a shipping label and refund which leaves a few loose ends. Will I now be out my initial cost of shipping and I will have to source another supplier for the handle. Then the decision of is it worth it to get another stealth handle if this is how I will be treated as a customer? If they would have not ceased communication with me perhaps I could ask them directly and would not feel the need to post publicly. I at this point may even consider sending it all back and getting an xtreme scoop which is what someone suggested I do in the first place. I should have listened but I read chuck would still be working with them and assumed it would be a way to still support the original designer. I have forwarded a link to this thread to the individual that I had been communicating with initially and welcome any response but I have doubts to that as well.

Hate to see this topic brought up again. BUT , YOU WERE ALL WARNED ! Look up my old post "The scoop on stealth".

After all the viral stuff cools down, I probably will sell my "Original" Stealth 720i Hybrid with Chuck's Carbon Fiber Handle. Not sure yet as I need to use the Titanium scoop a little longer to know for sure.

After all the viral stuff cools down, I probably will sell my "Original" Stealth 720i Hybrid with Chuck's Carbon Fiber Handle. Not sure yet as I need to use the Titanium scoop a little longer to know for sure.

Yeah Don , I got 1 of John's Tit scoops a few month's back that you have been bragging about. So far the best scoop I've ever owned. That's not saying much because there aren't a whole lotta targets to dig.:no:

I recently purchased a stealth extreme scoop with carbon fiber handle, the handle was supposed to have a textured “fish scale” pattern to stop it from slipping when wet. Shipping was fast and I was initially happy with service, then it all broke down. I received my scoop and handle and quickly assembled it, soon after or during I realized the handle was put together backwards and the handle is very slippery when pulling on it and it grips when pushing, not useful. I contacted sunspot less than an hour after receiving it, explained my issue and sent a video. At first it seemed as if the woman I was interacting with was trying to help, after a few back and forth I was told all their stock is wrong and that they had no Idea it was supposed to go together like that and thanked me for letting them know, dear god. I was at first offered a hack job where I send my handle back, they cut it up and glue a rubber handle on the already cut end essentially swapping the handle around, I refused as I did not pay for a hack job, my other option is a full refund for the handle and I am stuck trying to source one. I asked if I could just swap the handle for the correct one when they could manufacture it and I was declined,wth? This handle and scoop is supposed to both have a lifetime warranty, in my experience it is until you receive it defective then it is a big f u from sunspot. They even suggested they will just turn around and resell it. Then they stopped all communication with me whatsoever. Again I bought the handle, it is defective and I want a replacement. Not rocket science, just get me a handle. They are pushing now to send me a return label for a refund and I have half a mind to turn around and purchase again so we can play this game as I can’t hunt as much as I like now anyway. I am extremely irritated and feel the need to warn others that this company does business in a shady fashion. If they decide to make this right I will update here and consider closing their thread.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I have a stealth scoop from sunspot and had a good experience. But yeah, if you pay that much for a handle you want it to be right. Are you saying the "textured grip" is on the backside of handle, where your palm is?

I’m saying it is supposed to grip when pulling on the scoop, dragging sand from the hole, then it is slick the other way so you can easily shimmy your hand down the shaft to the bucket to shake more. Mine is the opposite, slippery when pulling and it gives good resistance trying to slide in the opposite way.

I’m saying it is supposed to grip when pulling on the scoop, dragging sand from the hole, then it is slick the other way so you can easily shimmy your hand down the shaft to the bucket to shake more. Mine is the opposite, slippery when pulling and it gives good resistance trying to slide in the opposite way.

Even with the CF scoop handles I use this stuff on mine... it gives a way better grip on CF handles

I buy it locally in a hardware store

https://www.whetmanequipment.com/store/p34/Self_Amalgamating_Tape_19mm.html

It only sticks to itself

Cfmct that stuff looks nice. I will keep it in mind for sure. The scoop itself, I am liking. Well built, digs huge holes fast and drains easily. Definitely an upgrade from my last scoop so not all is bad with them. I don’t think it is too late to come to a positive solution with sunspot. I received an email from them last night, it stated they will be closed due to the virus, which I anticipated could happen, would have been nice for them to tell me before communication went silent. I will give it time and hopefully be eating my words. As of now, the only real issue is customer service, I can see if one had no experience with sand scoops and detecting how that feature may be overlooked even with the wording on the web page because I feel there may be a language barrier as well. I truly don’t want to bash any company but I do want them to strive to make customers happy which in turn will eventually make for more sales. Any business who has succeeded did not do so by angering their customer base, even if down the line the mission is forgotten but that is a discussion in itself.

I used heat shrink tube on a couple of my scoops and it works great! X-Tube heat shrink sleeve wrap with Non Slip grip. Comes in multiple colors.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 10.46.29 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 10.46.29 AM.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,518
Last edited:
I have found, for me.... there is nothing you can buy that's just what you want. You really have to make little tweak's to them so they will fit your needs.

I had a grip issue on both my FG and CF handles... I ended up mixing some 15 minute epoxy and painting the areas I grip..then sprinkling sand on the wet epoxy. Since I hunt in the water only..... I needed something on the handle I could pull the scoop out of the deep holes. So I made a donut pull using the same tape Craig, Cfmct, posted...then I put shirk tape over that.

A friend send me one of those handles (free) for my scoop..did not like ..so I did the donut pull. It does not get in the way like the handle. So what might be good for one, may not for another.

I used this on a couple of my scoops and it works great! X-Tube heat shrink sleeve wrap with Non Slip grip. Comes in multiple colors.
I like that! I used the heat shrink that I use on the excalibur endcaps but thats much better..

Cfmct that stuff looks nice. I will keep it in mind for sure. The scoop itself, I am liking. Well built, digs huge holes fast and drains easily. Definitely an upgrade from my last scoop so not all is bad with them. I don’t think it is too late to come to a positive solution with sunspot. I received an email from them last night, it stated they will be closed due to the virus, which I anticipated could happen, would have been nice for them to tell me before communication went silent. I will give it time and hopefully be eating my words. As of now, the only real issue is customer service, I can see if one had no experience with sand scoops and detecting how that feature may be overlooked even with the wording on the web page because I feel there may be a language barrier as well. I truly don’t want to bash any company but I do want them to strive to make customers happy which in turn will eventually make for more sales. Any business who has succeeded did not do so by angering their customer base, even if down the line the mission is forgotten but that is a discussion in itself.
All businesses are human and we all make mistakes. It's what a business does after a mistake to make it right that shows how successful they are/ or will be. This should have never made it out the door with a solid QC system of checks in place. I could write a book on what I saw and went through , but that was about a year ago. Ordering online could be a gamble as you experienced.

I had vinyl windows and doors recently installed. One of the sliding doors had a manufacturer's defect. They sent a crew out for replacement , messed that up as well. Had to board it up for 3 days. They installed the correct one as promised and to my surprise , took the $1200 cost off my bill. THAT'S what customer service is all about. Making it right. I have since recommended them to others. And they were happy as well.

Seems like they still don't quite have it down yet. I USED to love their scoops. I hope they make it "right" for you and themselves.

I thought about the heat shrink but wondered if it would last. How durable it is and would it peel or scratch off. I tried textured safety grip tape. Like for steps or skateboards. Held on great but chewed through my suede/leather gloves in a week. Now I use duct tape on a RTG aluminum scoop. Grips good for me but only lasts a couple months.

I’d contact them one more time and suggest to them that your next step may have to be the Better Business Bureau and they may not appreciate that. If that may be what they want you to do.

I’d give it a little more time and maybe they’ll step up to the plate. They may have not responded right away because of this viral thing going on. Best of luck though!

Like KOB said, “ All businesses are human and we all make mistakes. It's what a business does after a mistake to make it right that shows how successful they are/ or will be”. I had the exact same experience with the CF shaft I bought from Xtreme scoops...the grip was backwards. However, within minutes after texting John, the owner, I was told a replacement was being sent out, and I had it in three days. He just asked that I use the shipping container to return the original handle after the replacement arrived.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom