1800s Japanese Coin!

CJ319

Forum Supporter
The first house I ever detected is being sold but I've been hitting it for over a year now. This morning I decided to do one last hunt, and man was it worth it. But let me back up a bit. Last week a buddy of mine got an AT Pro. We were doing some air tests with a Morgan and a V nickel. When I layed the nickel on top of the Morgan, I got a heavy iron audio and low numbers. Something I would probably never dig. This got me thinking about all the iron audio hits that I never dig. So this morning I get a very faint signal, bouncing between 80 and 13 with slight iron audio at 10 inches. Given my recent test, I decided to dig. Took a while, but pulled out a Japanese 1 Sen! I don't read Japanese, but the one article I found dates it from 1873 and 1888! Even if it was 1888, that's my oldest coin by a year. Not sure about the four nubs on the edge, no online photos have those. Maybe made into jewelry at some time? Definitely a surprise for Bryan, TX! Moved over to a neighbor's yard and got a 45 wheat and a toasted buffalo. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 790
Nice find. The nobs are solder nobs from being in a piece of jewelry.

Greg

I was assuming that so having another person say so helps. It's also got a silverish coating on it that looks like it was meant to jazz it up as a piece of jewelry.

This is what old 1 sen coins look like when I dig them up here. This one is from 1874.

Last edited:
That's cool. Whatever the soil does to the coin really brings out the detail.

That one is one of the better ones I have found. A lot of times you can just barely see the outline of the dragon design and no date at all.

This is the best one I ever found. It is dated 1884. It was stuck to a 2 sen coin from 1876. It must have been in a pouch or something that held them together until it rotted away. Even this one looks better in the picture than now because it is wet. When they dry out they usually become dull and the details do not stand out as much.

Last edited:
That one is one of the better ones I have found. A lot of times you can just barely see the outline of the dragon design and no date at all.

This is the best one I ever found. It is dated 1884. It was stuck to a 2 sen coin from 1876. It must have been in a pouch or something that held them together until it rotted away. Even this one looks better in the picture than now because it is wet. When they dry out they usually become dull and the details do not stand out as much.

Man that looks mint.

Back
Top Bottom