View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by erichx View post
How much is real deep?
Depends on the soil l but don't expect much more than 6" with the small coil Compadre, an inch or two more with the 8" coil...maybe.
Under normal circumstances like here in the parks I hunt in that would work pretty well, 98% of my finds in three different states were shallow up to about that 6" mark.
Your area may need deeper but only you or someone that has dug up targets around there can say.
If everything you are looking for there is 8,9, 10" or deeper don't expect a lot of success with any detector in these low price ranges.
Also salt is a mineral, mixed with water like around beaches it can limit depth, not sure how dry conditions and salt can affect our detectors.
For sites with mineralization problems detectors with adjustable ground balance can help a lot.

Sometimes it is worth waiting and saving up more to get the right tool, the wrong tool might just be a waste of money.
Not saying these will be but you need to find out before you buy, or I would, anyway.

Don't know what the market is like down there or how long you are willing to wait but a good used Vaquero might work much better for you if you can swing it.
That one has all the basic features you might need and a lot of penetrating power and there are others.