• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Crazy, crazy hunt

Chipk

Elite Member
Got a call from a woman who found a ring in her yard and wanted advice on how to return it to its owner. I gave her some suggestions and then mentioned there may be more (this is a rental house). She asked me to search the yard.

When I arrived I started at the curb. First swing provided a bling heart pendant. Next swing yielded 3 quarters.

Then the dam opened up.

Almost every swing had a coin signal. Mainly pennies but 7 quarters, a nickel, 2 dimes and 32 pennies. But I ignored literally hundreds of penny signals. I suffer from a neurological issue that produces chronic fatigue plus I have spinal issues so I choose to cherry pick my targets. Of course a number of bottle caps (Budweiser seemed the popular choice), nails, a bullet and a pouchful of trash came out of the ground.

Then an absolute heartbreaker of a bling ring came to the surface. If real it would have been worth thousands but of course it wasn't.

But pennies. It was like somebody broke their piggy bank and seeded the front yard. It took me an hour just to cover the curbstrip and it's not a big yard. I worked my way down the driveway, ignoring pennies all the way, to the backyard. The pennies thinned out some but were still very much present.

Then in a corner I found the strangest silver bracelet I have ever seen. Very heavy with massive links, but it's so short, I can't imagine it fitting anybody's wrist. It cleaned up nicely.

The heat was getting to me, so I had them show me where the "good" ring was found. Probably going back tomorrow to clean that spot out to see if anymore goodies are there.

Guess I'll have to dig pennies too.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1856.jpg
    IMG_1856.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 442
Hmmm, that is an odd-looking chain. Too bad the ring isn't precious, it is gorgeous!

With all those hits, sounds like that yard could keep you busy for a month! Don't get too cherry-picky, remember, the good stuff disguises itself as junk. GL & HH.

Wow. That ring must have made you catch your breath, huh?

I was at a house I was considering buying and there were pennies everywhere, like you're describing. I even had a guy out to scope the sewer line and we saw pennies in there. Weird.

Nice hunt despite the penny distractions.

The bad thing about US cents is that they are so worthless now that they are becoming like pulltabs--more an annoyance than a coin worth digging up, unless of course they turn out to be a key or semi-key date, but the machine won't tell you that! :frustrated:C'mon, manufacturers! :mad: Get with it! :mad: :lol:

ugh those junkers really are a let down aren't they.

Back
Top Bottom