Everyone in Michigan

Growing up from the time I can remember we went every year to the Ionia Free Fair. There may be some coins there from a long time ago but you can bet when they did tear downs of the fair each year from the late 60s on bunches of people showed up to detect the grounds. Seems I remember them building up the one side where they parked under big trees back when. with water raising up from the river during flooding I think coins have sunk out of sight . Best bet would be up around where the rides are. My old friend Bob Johnson from Steelcase probably detected that fairground . Bob got lots of information on fairgrounds. He told me about where the fair grounds were in Lowell back in the 1800s but I am not sure where anymore. Great story about his kid dragging his detector and finding three old silver dollars.
M6 Mike

The Lowell fairgrounds are great to hit every year when they roll out of town after a week. I have never travelled down to Ionia for detecting because I know that the grounds get flooded every year. The good stuff is probably 6 feet down, lol.

I think I'm going to go try the fairgrounds this morning. I know the fairgrounds have been disturbed multiple times for quite some time. going to try a little further from the river. I know there is some old silver somewhere in there just waiting for my coil.

Saw someone down there yesterday swinging a whites, any of you?

I seen someone down there last Sunday afternoon by where the Farmer's Market was 2 years ago and where the petting zoo/tent is for the Lowell Fair. I'm not sure what he was swingin' and I really didn't get a chance to talk to him. There is alot of area down there that can be detected and areas that have been there for a very long time. I have yet to get any silver from down there, but I'm still tryin'.

I think I'm going to go try the fairgrounds this morning. I know the fairgrounds have been disturbed multiple times for quite some time. going to try a little further from the river. I know there is some old silver somewhere in there just waiting for my coil.

Saw someone down there yesterday swinging a whites, any of you?

I did a short hunt this morning. Pulled mostly clad and very little trash. I was running alot of disc though. tried some new area but i think when i go back i will stick close to the river as i didn't even find any wheat's today.

New from the Grand rapids area

Hey,
i am looking to get into metal detecting. I have done my history work and now need a good used detector. A hunting buddy would be great as well. I am excited to get started!!!!

Kalamazoo here.
I grew up in Grand Rapids.

Looking for buddies to detect with. If you have a site you think would be hot I'm interested!

Joe

I hit the Lowell fairgrounds a bit today. All clad and one showboat token.. Nothing old except a few bits of rusted fair ride parts about 10" down... It's a large area that could use a group of us to comb over.....:pirates: I picked up my first buffalo nickel at the Ionia fairgrounds in Jan. with my XLT, and my first silver dime there a couple of years ago with my MXT. So there is still stuff to find.....:yes: I will say that I've heard that hunting wasn't allowed there, due to it being a semi-historical site (Indian village and all) but I've talked with grounds officials and police officers who patrol the area, no issues. I think as long as we treat the area right and fill our holes there shouldn't be any concerns. Randy, I sent you a PM. I have yours and Chucks number, y'all have mine. Longhair, I'll definitely take you up on some park huntin'. as long as it's old, I'm in....:lol:. I'm heading to Kentucky later this week to do some three ringer huntin' and to surprise my dad on his birthday. ;) So I won't be back til' next Wed. the 28th. If anyone else in the area wants to get together, give me a shout!

I hit the Lowell fairgrounds a bit today. All clad and one showboat token.. Nothing old except a few bits of rusted fair ride parts about 10" down... It's a large area that could use a group of us to comb over.....:pirates: I picked up my first buffalo nickel at the Ionia fairgrounds in Jan. with my XLT, and my first silver dime there a couple of years ago with my MXT. So there is still stuff to find.....:yes: I will say that I've heard that hunting wasn't allowed there, due to it being a semi-historical site (Indian village and all) but I've talked with grounds officials and police officers who patrol the area, no issues. I think as long as we treat the area right and fill our holes there shouldn't be any concerns. Randy, I sent you a PM. I have yours and Chucks number, y'all have mine. Longhair, I'll definitely take you up on some park huntin'. as long as it's old, I'm in....:lol:. I'm heading to Kentucky later this week to do some three ringer huntin' and to surprise my dad on his birthday. ;) So I won't be back til' next Wed. the 28th. If anyone else in the area wants to get together, give me a shout!
Id be willing to come and help you comb over the lowell fairgrounds. I know between the ionia and lowell fairgrounds there is some good things to be found. just let me know a time and place.

Just found my first silver there at the Lowell Fairgrounds last Saturday. Its a huge area to hunt and would be fun to group hunt it some Saturday. I'm all in when Triplehooked gets back from Kentucky.

I'm happy to hear the Lowell fairgrounds are producing! I'm hoping to run into some civil war relics while I'm down South, who knows! I look forward to some group hunts!

I remember seeing Def Leppard at the Free Fair in like '88 and Metallica in '94 and it was about 4million degrees out both times and they kept hosing ppl down...was horrid...never really went again(grew up in Wyoming/GR, moved to Clarksville/Strawberry Lake just after high school..now in the U.P.).

Sometimes miss being back home...

ok..going to wax nostalgic here for a few.....

all great places to hit (just a few) if I were back home:

Riverside Park (been there forever, plus the pow wow every year)

Lamar Park (I grew up across the street and it's huge, the green patchy walking area to the NW actually was a lake for decades..we used to swim there when I was little all the way to high school.)

Johnson Park (be careful of the Indian mounds..kent trails rd across the river from the mounds road),

John Ball Park (from the 1800's!!)

The NW corner of Wilson and Lake Michigan drive used to be a drive in theater...then it was a paintball/woods kind of thing..not sure what it is now.

Reeds Lake...way way back in the day..I'm talking back when my grandfather was a young boy and was in an orphanage (the blodgett home for boys..which is now Grand Rapids Jr College), the entire Reeds Lake area was an amusement park called Ramona Park. There has to be tons of stuff in there...was there from late 1800's til 1955....

k..i saw pics online of the house I grew up in and houses of all of our neighbors who are either dead or in their 120's....

GL hunting!

The NW corner of Wilson and Lake Michigan drive used to be a drive in theater...then it was a paintball/woods kind of thing..not sure what it is now.

GL hunting!

Now a huge Meijer store.

I used to work by there back when Michigan had a tool and die industry.

The Southwest Seek and Search Club will be having their monthly meeting in Plainwell, MI at 7pm at the Plainwell Community Center. All are welcome to attend!!!

Hey Ace... I was over in yours and Frankiefry's old stomping grounds yesterday, well sort of. I had to drive out to Holland and pick something up for work. It is funny, just about every place I passed while driving along 96, I hunted in my mind... The drive goes faster that way. :lol:

LOL, I do that all the time and have to be careful not to drive right off the road when a REALLY good piece of land shows up. Then the daydreaming starts and ....you know the rest. : )

Back
Top Bottom