Found an Indian

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Not an Ihp or a Buff, how about Pontiac. Yes indeed, second only to the V8 Ford 30yrs. of excellence, the Pontiac Chief of The Six's token has been on my list since I first saw one posted 4 or 5yrs. ago. A little crusty but I think I can clean it up enough to put on display. Hunting a vacant lot that the borough bought, my first signal was a clean 30-31, not deep, maybe 3in down out pops a dirty quarter, no surprise there but when I rubbed the rim I was surprised to see silver. A 39 GW. Great start, I was thinking this place must be loaded with silver. Not to be, a little under 3 bucks in clad, a Matchbox truck, a now defunct Ford dealer token plus the usual junk. Late in the hunt I got a 26-27 and had to chase the signal, apparently it was on edge and off to the side. After a few rubs I realized what it was, that made my day. My # 2 bucketlist token and silver # 51.

Silver # 50 was A 1916 Merc. My first 16. No mint mark. I have dug at least 9 or 10 17s but the 16 always seem to elude me. It came on day 2 of a 2 yard side by side permission. The first day I dug a half dozen wheats, a 63 Rosie and a really cool Chevy key tag in the shape of California. I actually dug it on the line of the next yard. When I showed it to the owners , the wife fell in love with it and ask if I would sell it to them. I told her I couldn't sell it, but I would give it to them in appreciation for their hospitality. That one hurt but apparently it meant more to them than it did to me. In retrospect that would have looked damn good next my Pontiac token. Oh well:sadbye::sadbye:

#s 47 & 48 were a pair of Barber dimes very close to one another if not in the same hole. I say this because my pinpointer didn't go off after I found the first one. My carrot has been going to ground grab recently on its own. With the 10x5 coil I got a bouncy 26-27 between 2 downed trees, the signal jumped into the 30s and even was hitting 39-40. I was in a city park and had found very little that day so I dug it. In the pile I see a Barber dime, quite pleased I checked the pile again, checked the hole again, nothing. Fill in the hole, rescan and get another 39-40. Stick the pinpointer back in the hole and it goes off. A second Barber. Funny thing, when I was digging the plug I had a black squirrel run right by me. Strange, you don't see many black squirrel in southwest Pa. Next signal, only 2 ft. away was a 11-12 dropping to a 10. Out comes a 22 short casing. I remembered a post not too long ago about where you find casings you find coins and in my mind I conjured up the guy reaching in his pocket to reload and out came the pair of Barbers. My story, maybe. Thanks for looking in, Mark

Attachments

• redo38.jpg
    redo38.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 500
  • redo36.jpg
    redo36.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 498
  • redo37.jpg
    redo37.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 513
  • redo33.jpg
    redo33.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 506
  • redo34.jpg
    redo34.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 502
  • redo35.jpg
    redo35.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 512
  • redo31.jpg
    redo31.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 497
  • redo32.jpg
    redo32.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 498
  • redo40.jpg
    redo40.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 491
  • redo39.jpg
    redo39.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 493
Congrats on all the silver Mark! You mentioned that pontiac token was on your list a few weeks ago when I found one. It didn’t take you long to get yours! Congrats again on all the nice finds!

That dime could tell some stories! Nice job on #50.

TS thanks. Yes she is well worn but still beautiful. The guy had recently turned over the dirt and the coins I did find were all shallow. Mark

That’s some seriously awesome hunting Mark :wow:

Dang good finds, congrats on the bucket lister!

GS thank you. I got lucky with those permissions, they have been too few lately. The token was a welcome surprise. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on all the silver Mark! You mentioned that pontiac token was on your list a few weeks ago when I found one. It didn’t take you long to get yours! Congrats again on all the nice finds!

Thank you Toad and yes that did pop in to my mind about the comment only I couldn't remember who I commented to. (gettin old ) Will try to finish the clean up today. Hopefully it will come out nice. Good luck, Mark

I really like the Pontiac token, and the silver ain't half bad either, congrats!!!

Jeff thank you. Hopefully the V8Ford token will show up soon. And more silver, always more silver. ah ha. Hope you're getting out. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on the silver 👍 Finding vintage auto memorabilia is fun too.[/QUOTE

Mitch thanks. I do love digging transportation related memorabilia. My coolest so far is a Dodge Bros. radiator emblem from the 20s. Good luck, Mark

Mark, you found yourself some real good old dirt. I like smorgasbord of finds there. But nothing says it like the eye candy of the Barbers. Congrats on all accountants and for achieving the half century mark +1 on the silvers!

Very nice finds Mark! Great pics, neat story! Glad you were able to get to 50 shiny coins, and some cool relics. I've dug that Chief Pontiac coin here in Hamilton Montana. A fun find.

Mark, you found yourself some real good old dirt. I like smorgasbord of finds there. But nothing says it like the eye candy of the Barbers. Congrats on all accountants and for achieving the half century mark +1 on the silvers!

Thank you John. The pair of Barber's were a pleasant surprise. I had taken notice of that area a few weeks before, it was somewhat out of the way and my gut kept telling me I need to hunt it and it paid off. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on the silvers and other cool finds!

Thank you, good luck and good hunting, Mark

Very nice finds Mark! Great pics, neat story! Glad you were able to get to 50 shiny coins, and some cool relics. I've dug that Chief Pontiac coin here in Hamilton Montana. A fun find.

David thanks, my new silver fty goal is 75. I dug # 52 on Sat. A 45 Merc. A little point of interest, my last 2 Mercs were a first and last year. I notice little weird things like that. So now with automotive finds, I've hit Chevy, Ford and Pontiac so most likely my next will be either Chyrsler or Cadillac. Or Packard would be a super cool find. What are the odds. Ha ha. I don't remember seeing any Packard tokens posted. Good luck, Mark

Nice going Mark…
I got my first… and only “Pontiac- Chief of the Sixes” token here in Massachusetts maybe 30 years ago. It was still in pretty good shape. Your post is prompting me to want to go take a look at it. Probably stapled into a 2X2 coin holder somewhere.

Nice finds Mark. I like the token - never seen one before. A little variety makes the hunting a lot more interesting. Good luck!

Nice going Mark…
I got my first… and only “Pontiac- Chief of the Sixes” token here in Massachusetts maybe 30 years ago. It was still in pretty good shape. Your post is prompting me to want to go take a look at it. Probably stapled into a 2X2 coin holder somewhere.

Thanks Jim, it will probably be the only one I find and it will go in my case for display Good luck to you. Mark

Nice finds Mark. I like the token - never seen one before. A little variety makes the hunting a lot more interesting. Good luck!

RoS thank you. I do love digging tokens, for me a little glimpse of the past. Good luck and good hunting. Mark

Very nice finds..congrats on a great hunt!

Thank you Gale and good luck, Mark

Love that California fob and the token. Congrats on all the finds.

Jason thanks, like I said it hurt to give it away and whats the chance of finding another one here in Pa. But at the same time it was the right thing to do. Hope you have been able to get out, haven't seen any of those killer posts your known for lately. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on those finds, I'm jealous! WOW!

Thank you GiG, I have been having a pretty good year but hopefully haven't found my best find of the year so far. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom