Should I get an equinox 800 or Garrett AT Max?

TreasureLord_Kc

I have an Garrett at Pro now and it's done very well is it time to upgrade can't decide whether to get the Equinox 800 or the Garrett AT Max.
The sites are mostly hunt are extremely trashy with tons of iron old house Lots.

The Equinox 800. It's SMF is going to perform the same as the AT Max in perhaps 45% of conditions and better than the AT Max in probably 45% of conditions. That being said, the AT Max has the following characteristic that, depending on your personal preferences, could make it "better" machine than the Equinox 800.

One, the AT Max is an S-shaft design. Some prefer these ergonomics over a straight shaft design like the Equinox.

Two, the AT Max uses AA batteries, whether lithium primaries, special lithium rechargeables, alkalines or NiMH cells.

Three, the AT Max is more reliable than the Equinox with its waterproofness.

Four, Garrett is an American company and the AT Max is made in the USA.

Five, the AT Max has a TON of aftermarket coil options available.

Six, the AT Max has the option of integrating wireless headphones and the Z-Lynk Garrett Carrot.

Not all of these will matter to you, but some might. And your situation could be different in that you're already familiar with the AT Pro. So the learning curve with the AT Max will be far easier than the Equinox 800.

I personally think the Equinox 800 is a better machine and will find you more stuff in more conditions/environments than the AT Max. I have the AT Max, and I really like it. I love the ergonomics, its design, its reliability, the batteries it uses, etc. But I basically got it used for $200. So is it worth paying...$400-$500 more to get a used Equinox 800? Absolutely not (in my opinion)! But if I could get the Equinox for $280, I'd sell my AT Max in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
The Equinox 800. It's SMF is going to perform the same as the AT Max in perhaps 45% of conditions and better than the AT Max in probably 45% of conditions. That being said, the AT Max has the following characteristic that, depending on your personal preferences, could make it "better" machine than the Equinox 800.

One, the AT Max is an S-shaft design. Some prefer these ergonomics over a straight shaft design like the Equinox.

Two, the AT Max uses AA batteries, whether lithium primaries, special lithium rechargeables, alkalines or NiMH cells.

Three, the AT Max is more reliable than the Equinox with its waterproofness.

Four, Garrett is an American company and the AT Max is made in the USA.

Five, the AT Max has a TON of aftermarket coil options available.

Six, the AT Max has the option of integrating wireless headphones and the Z-Lynk Garrett Carrot.

Not all of these will matter to you, but some might. And your situation could be different in that you're already familiar with the AT Pro. So the learning curve with the AT Max will be far easier than the Equinox 800.

I personally think the Equinox 800 is a better machine and will find you more stuff in more conditions/environments than the AT Max. I have the AT Max, and I really like it. I love the ergonomics, its design, its reliability, the batteries it uses, etc. But I basically got it used for $200. So is it worth paying...$400-$600 more to get a used Equinox 800? Absolutely not (in my opinion)! But if I could get the Equinox for $200, I'd sell my AT Max in a heartbeat.

You got AT Max for $200 😮
I mite be able to get a equinox 800 for $550

You are in Florida right? Is that where you do most of your detecting and is it at the beach or inland/freshwater?

From my experience the Equinox 600 or 800 are outstanding wet and damp/dry saltwater beach detectors since they are Multi IQ simultaneous multi frequency with built in beach modes for saltwater beaches. Going into shallow, gentle surf without submerging the control box is okay too. Anything more is asking for trouble with control box leaks. Too bad that the AT Pro is not too great on wet sand and shallow surf.

If you are more likely to do mostly inland detecting on low mineralized ground/sand, I don't think you will see much benefit from using the Equinox 600 or 800 in comparison to any good quality single frequency detector like your AT Pro, the new Garrett ACE Apex (which would do fine at saltwater beaches too since it is also simultaneous multi frequency) or like Woodbutcher and bigtim1973 mentioned, the XP Deus and less expensive XP Orx which are excellent selectable frequency detectors.

The Equinox 600 and 800 are really made for more difficult ground conditions like saltwater beaches and higher mineralization where they can do some incredible things compared to single frequency detectors......

My only hesitation with the Orx if you are hunting around iron, is that unlike the Deus, the Orx does not have sub-zero target ID iron identification. So, some very thin tin/rusted iron tin can pieces may not be audibly detected but can still mask non-ferrous targets without you even knowing either is there in its two coin modes. XP added the sub-zero iron range a few years ago to the Deus software to take care of those "silent" iron targets but didn't add it to the Orx. It must be one of those features you pay extra for when you buy the Deus. Both the Deus and the Orx have salt modes so they can handle wet beach detecting. The coil can't be submerged without using the wired antenna which is an extra accessory ($50). Otherwise, the wireless signal can't transmit through water from the coil to the control box.

If you really need waterproof/all terrain capability, the Equinox, Nokta Makro Anfibio, Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer, Nokta Makro Simplex and the AT Pro, AT Gold and AT Max are you only choices unless you want to take a chance on a used Whites MX Sport. You might be able to find a new MX Sport from a dealer's old stock but I don't know if the warranty will be honored.

You are in Florida right? Is that where you do most of your detecting and is it at the beach or inland/freshwater?

From my experience the Equinox 600 or 800 are outstanding wet and damp/dry saltwater beach detectors since they are Multi IQ simultaneous multi frequency with built in beach modes for saltwater beaches. Going into shallow, gentle surf without submerging the control box is okay too. Anything more is asking for trouble with control box leaks. Too bad that the AT Pro is not too great on wet sand and shallow surf.

If you are more likely to do mostly inland detecting on low mineralized ground/sand, I don't think you will see much benefit from using the Equinox 600 or 800 in comparison to any good quality single frequency detector like your AT Pro, the new Garrett ACE Apex (which would do fine at saltwater beaches too since it is also simultaneous multi frequency) or like Woodbutcher and bigtim1973 mentioned, the XP Deus and less expensive XP Orx which are excellent selectable frequency detectors.

The Equinox 600 and 800 are really made for more difficult ground conditions like saltwater beaches and higher mineralization where they can do some incredible things compared to single frequency detectors......

My only hesitation with the Orx if you are hunting around iron, is that unlike the Deus, the Orx does not have sub-zero target ID iron identification. So, some very thin tin/rusted iron tin can pieces may not be audibly detected but can still mask non-ferrous targets without you even knowing either is there in its two coin modes. XP added the sub-zero iron range a few years ago to the Deus software to take care of those "silent" iron targets but didn't add it to the Orx. It must be one of those features you pay extra for when you buy the Deus. Both the Deus and the Orx have salt modes so they can handle wet beach detecting. The coil can't be submerged without using the wired antenna which is an extra accessory ($50). Otherwise, the wireless signal can't transmit through water from the coil to the control box.

If you really need waterproof/all terrain capability, the Equinox, Nokta Makro Anfibio, Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer, Nokta Makro Simplex and the AT Pro, AT Gold and AT Max are you only choices unless you want to take a chance on a used Whites MX Sport. You might be able to find a new MX Sport from a dealer's old stock but I don't know if the warranty will be honored.

Yeah I'm in florida. I don't hunt the beach at all
I'm relic hunter old house sites and other old locations
Now I'm interested in the ORX I can get a Deus right now just unless I got it cheap.

So the ORX would be better than the at max in iron
Places hunt most are like a carpet of iron in small areas too. I've gotten a ton of stuff with my AT pro weeding through the iron. Although I'd like an all-metal mode for some more depth in cleaner areas and more depth. And and I'm tired of the at pro non wireless headphones

I was interested in the Minelab equinox cuz of the multi frequency target I'd and large coil for depth it and seems like everyone's using them and finding great stuff. Even the Hoover boys started using them.

You got AT Max for $200 😮
I mite be able to get a equinox 800 for $550

Yes, I got a good deal on the AT Max. Just keep in mind that the AT Max is a bit overpriced due to Garrett's marketing/pricing strategy. Oh, and I misspoke. I spent closer to $280 for it, not $200.

If you can get an Equinox 800 in full working order for $550, I'd say go for it, especially if it still has some warranty left.

Last edited:
Now I'm interested in the ORX I can get a Deus right now just unless I got it cheap.

Places hunt most are like a carpet of iron in small areas too. I've gotten a ton of stuff with my AT pro weeding through the iron. Although I'd like an all-metal mode for some more depth in cleaner areas and more depth. And and I'm tired of the at pro non wireless headphones

Yes, I find the XP ORX far superior to Garrett machines.

The recovery speed is.as fast as the Deus.

But like what has been mentioned already, disc only goes to 0 where as the Deus disc goes to a -6.4 negative.

But do not let that discourage you. The ORX is a very fast and deep detector. There is one for sale at a good price currently in the classifieds for 450 shipped.

You can get the back phones new for about 120 and be completely Wireless.

The coil included with that one is the 11 inch X35 coil. It has 5 frequency with 7 offsets each for a total of 35 user select frequencies to choose from ranging from 4khz to 25khz.

You would be very happy with it.

Get the ORX.

I have had all 3 and the ORX is my choice unless you are doing ocean detecting. Then get the nox800

You have a tough choice as a relic hunter.

Between the Orx and the Equinox 800........I would get the 800.
The Orx has NO individual iron tone volume control, just like the AT Pro and AT Gold. That drove me crazy about my former Orx and AT Gold, which otherwise are outstanding relic hunters and they both have excellent all metal modes.

The Equinox 800 (the 600 has it too) has individual iron tone volume and pitch control. They both have instant iron target ID/tone accept or reject using the horseshoe button too. So you can set up a custom discrimination/notch pattern with a little iron accepted and instantly go to wide open/all targets accepted to check for iron or any other target ID that you might have notched. That single target ID number notching feature on the Nox is really nice. The ORX does not have that either. I could go on but......

Between the Deus and the Equinox 800 for relics......I would get the Deus.
Aside from not having simultaneous multi frequency operation, the Deus would be my number one choice for relic hunting especially in thick iron. I would (and do) have my Equinox 800 in the trunk or in my backpack however in case I need it since it is a close second to the Deus from my experience if you know how to use it in thick iron. The Deus has more features than I will ever use and for those that really mesh with the Deus, it is a life-time detector for sure. You will get better target ID on deeper targets with the Equinox 800 over the Deus in mild dirt but if you are using a shovel with no digging restrictions, who cares. If you are digging mostly permissions where being very careful is key and where most of the good stuff is at the 8"+ depth, the accurate Equinox non-ferrous target ID may be very important. Both the Deus and Equinox 800 (not the 600) have VCO audio very hybrid threshold based all metal modes which have a ton (for all metal modes) of adjustable features. The Gold Field mode on the Deus and the Gold modes on the 800 are outstanding for relic hunting or small nugget gold prospecting in iron trash which is what I use them for. For relics in thick iron trash, the Deus Pitch mode is absolutely incredible and it's worth the price of the detector for that mode alone. The Orx does not have that mode...... I could go on here too but.......

I will say that going from the AT Pro to the Deus, and Equinox (the Orx is a lot easier) can be overwhelming. There is a learning curve for their features but the biggest learning curve for many has been the incredible amount of targets/noise that you just didn't know were under your coil using the AT Pro.

I would go to a detector shop in Florida, a detecting club or a detecting friend and try to get a hold of a Deus, Orx or an Equinox for at least a features and ergonomics spin.

All three detectors lose very little of their value just like the AT series and are highly sought after on the used market so you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

I like the AT Max better than the AT Pro but I liked the AT Gold more than the AT Pro too because of the AT Gold's excellent all metal mode and better tones (for me anyway) which are similar to the tones on the AT Max.

AT Max vs the Equinox 800 or Deus........ I would not pick the AT Max.

If you are not quite ready to pull the trigger on a new detector, I used the Garrett MS-3 headphones with the external Z-Lynk wireless transmitter and adapter cable hooked up to my AT Gold's headphone jack, for years. I sold the AT Gold recently but kept the Z-Lynk transmitter and MS-3s for a couple of my other detectors (Garrett Goldmaster 24K) and for backup use. Best $99 I have ever spent on wireless headphones with transmitter.

I am a big fan of Detecting MO and have bought used detectors from him several times with no problems. However, the Orx being sold has no headphones (wired or wireless) no manual and no box. $450 shipped is too high for that setup and the 11" X35 coil is not necessarily deeper than a 9" X35 or the 9" HF coil.

I would not buy an Orx without getting the wireless headphones with audio module ($99 from most dealers separately)

I would also not buy a Deus unless it came with the wireless headphones with the removable control module (WS4s) and the bigger stem mounted remote control. The WS5 headphones are great but the small control module is built in so you lose a lot of flexibility options headphone wise.

Another forum sponsor has brand new ORX models for sale with wireless headphones, etc. for $649 (cheaper if you call Bart and beg a little) Big Boys Hobbies.

Another forum sponsor (from Fort Myers Florida) is selling an almost out of warranty Nox 800 for $650. Negotiate with him and the price might come down especially since he might let you pick it up locally. One month left on the warranty......you could dunk it, make it leak, send it into Minelab repair and get an almost new replacement or just use it and enjoy it. I have one that is out of warranty and it works perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to wait a bit to see what the coming soon Nokta Makro device is all about, how it is priced and hits the market, and if Garrett has a rapid response and at what price points. Somehow I doubt Garrett has been doing nothing with the passing of time. Is Nox resting on laurels?

Back
Top Bottom