Replacing my pin pointer. Suggestions?

Monkeys Uncle

Used a Garrett Pro Pointer for years but it's starting to malfunction. Any/all recommendations for a replacement are welcome. What's new and definitely want reliability. Strictly for on land use (too old to wade/snorkel). TIA

The propointer at is the bomb. Even if strictly land use, you’ll want it waterproof just in case you drop it in a puddle or it starts storming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right. Did you recommend a brand/model?

ETA - Whoa...you stated "propointer at". Who is mfg?? Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

So...Garrett mfg's the best PP on the market? There haven't been any advances or improvements. My #1 criteria is reliability, followed by accuracy.

A bit surprised no references/comments (good/bad) for Whites, MineLab, etc. :?: :shock:

I’ve tried a bunch of different ones. Always end up going back to the Garrett Carrot. My backup is another Carrot. Excellent pinpointers IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far no one has mentioned the very best and that is the TRX, which out shines them all and is that great tip only sensing. :)

So far no one has mentioned the very best and that is the TRX, which out shines them all and is that great tip only sensing. :)
The "best" is an opinion and different people have different ones. In any discussion I've seen the TRX is far in the minority. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it just that it is not the most common one used. The features that work great for you are the same ones other people don't like.

Cliff

TRX is great. Deepest, flashlight beam detection zone, very reliable.
Fisher/Teknetics pulse- deeper than carrot, pulse advantages, 360 detection zone.
I never used the mine labs but others like them (I've heard they're reliable too)

The carrot has been known for failures but customer service is good.
My Fisher died and was replaced by Fisher- decent customer service.

The "best" is an opinion and different people have different ones. In any discussion I've seen the TRX is far in the minority. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it just that it is not the most common one used. The features that work great for you are the same ones other people don't like.

Cliff

You are probably correct, but after two trouble plagued carrots I went to the TRX and that is the reason I said what I did. Garrett does have some pretty good support, which helped when the two I had had to be returned. I also had very good luck with the Minelab pointer. I found that it is very troubling to take one of the expensive carrots on a hunt and have to return to the truck to get out my spare $14 Harbor Freight so I can finish the hunt.

You are probably correct, but after two trouble plagued carrots I went to the TRX and that is the reason I said what I did. Garrett does have some pretty good support, which helped when the two I had had to be returned. I also had very good luck with the Minelab pointer. I found that it is very troubling to take one of the expensive carrots on a hunt and have to return to the truck to get out my spare $14 Harbor Freight so I can finish the hunt.
Your experience isn't what most others have seen. I have 2 carrots and both have been flawless so far. Like I said before everyone has an opinion. What works best for you may not for someone else. That's why there are so many options out there. Enjoy what you like. That's what this hobby is all about.

Cliff

Said this in many past threads about pinpointers, I use two in the field, the TRX and the F-Pulse. It took a while to "make" a good F-Pulse. Fisher dropped the ball in quality control, but once I made mine good with a tad of re-desigh...it really is a very good pointer.

I like the TRX for it's deeper detection but the F-Pulse's 360 degree detection reigns supreme over the TRX. The TRX in tandem with the F-Pulse, is killer. It comes out anytime my Pulse is silent after digging a 4" hole, looking for a detected signal of 4-6 inches. Pre dig detection with the TRX, using the flashlight beam, definitely pin points deeper. Only thing is, once out of the hole, that tip-only kinda sucks, so I use both.

I've used both the Minelab Pro-Find 35 and Garrett Carrot. They are equally good in my opinion, although I prefer the retuning of the Garrett Carrot as opposed to adjusting the sensitivity on the Pro-Find 35. I also liked the ability to tinker with the Garrett Carrot, which you can't do very easily with the Pro-Find because it's all sealed up.

Based on what others have said, the Garrett Carrot seems to be more reliable anecdotally, although I never had an issues with my Pro-Find 35.

My Garrett Carrot has never let me down (knock on wood) and Garrett has some of the best customer service in the biz IMO. Let us know what you decide!

I can’t speak for reliability yet being so new to this, but I already love my Garrett. Took it to a local park today and decided to do some stream hunting. Had it in several inches of water. Worked great every time. Whatever you buy I would definitely recommend getting something waterproof as others have said. It’s just one less thing to worry about when you are out in the field. I think I was running mine in the second sensitivity setting and it was reaching a good 2 inches.

Back
Top Bottom