At pro connector corrosion

chad27

Forum Supporter
I was wondering if anyonr else has the problem Im having. I hunt in the salt water almost 90% of the time,and the aluminium connectors for the head phones and coil are corroding bad. I rinse this machine off when im done,but it dosent seem to help also some corrosion of the shaft. I think this is a design flaw stainless steel should have been used. The little stainless screws are just fine like new. I asked Garrett about it ,but didnt get anywhere with it.

connector.jpg

connector2.jpg

shaft.jpg

I was wondering if anyonr else has the problem Im having. I hunt in the salt water almost 90% of the time,and the aluminium connectors for the head phones and coil are corroding bad. I rinse this machine off when im done,but it dosent seem to help also some corrosion of the shaft. I think this is a design flaw stainless steel should have been used. The little stainless screws are just fine like new. I asked Garrett about it ,but didnt get anywhere with it.

That shaft looks like its corroding from the inside out... I would spray the connections with some kind of silicone... first thing I would do is send those pictures to Garrett you are going to have a shaft failure sooner rather than later and could also have a failure at the jack.

But i guess in fairness to Garrett I dont think it was intended for salt water conditions

Wow, never seen so many problems with a detector before the AT Pro!:wow:

I guess it's safe to say that I know what I won't be upgrading to when I upgrade. :lol:

Put some white lithium grease all over that connection as soon as you get it cleaned up. Get rid of that Shaft and get an Anderson Carbon Fiber for your ATPRO. I know they are expensive but that shaft is not going to last long. Let us know if you need help getting the right equipment. If all else send that back into Garrett maybe they can do something for you at the very least get you a new shaft.

All the best,

Andrew

cache_1293822004.jpg

i'm glad i got the cam lock upgrades and now have a spare shaft, but i'd suggest also coating the corroded parts after a good cleaning, the same should be done on the coil cable to prevent cracking.

Wow, never seen so many problems with a detector before the AT Pro!:wow:

I guess it's safe to say that I know what I won't be upgrading to when I upgrade. :lol:

Yeah, and NOW they're hyping the AT GOLD... as their next best MD since sliced bread.:shock::?::no:

But i guess in fairness to Garrett I dont think it was intended for salt water conditions

Their Buyer's Guide certainly implies that it is........on page 7, under the AT Pro's All Terrain Capabilities, the seventh item listed is "Beach Hunting".

Dusty

Ok I talked with Garrett. They said they are triyng to get the stainless parts back. They told me to send it in. I was thinking why did you stop using stainless in the first place? any how they wanna check it out so sending it in

Glad that they are trying to make it right. Too bad you have to give up your toy for that period of time because of one of their mistakes. Hopefully you aren't being charged even more money.

Good luck with your new shaft, I am sure it'll do better :)

Ok I talked with Garrett. They said they are triyng to get the stainless parts back. They told me to send it in. I was thinking why did you stop using stainless in the first place? any how they wanna check it out so sending it in

Wow. Good detector with the capabilities I want in a machine beep lingo I understand and they keep making bad business decisions on it. I bet they were thinking AT. Well maybe he will only go to the beach occasionally after the warranty is over. Bad bad. Guess I will wait and see or go back to researching. I am very happy they will fix it though Chad. At least Garrett does timely resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom