Anyone Geocaching?

I geocache and agree that users always seem to leave a trail, broken branches, knocked down weeds, it becomes easy to find them once you know what to look for. Mding is funner because you don't know if you'll find something worth something or trash, with geocaching, its just little trinkets.

When I visited the Ghost Town, Melmont, I placed a Terracache near the old school remains. Later when I made my post, someone pointed out that there were three Geocaches enroute to my TC. The last GC was within 15 feet of my cache. But the exact location of my TC and the GC were in such a way that you would have to be way off to stumble over mine.
Funny thing is, that I was MDing near the GC hiding place, and once you find a few GC's, they get easier to find cause of the tell tail signs.

A tip for finding GC's, for the matter TC's also. Look for a trail. A trail will sometimes lead you right to where your going. People of habit, all they can think about is finding it and leaving.

Another tip, is the 2 stick rule. If you find 2 sticks paralleled to each other or more, chances are there may be a hidden prize beneath it. Nature doesn't drop sticks down so they lay flat side by side. But a path to a locatioin that has 2 sticks near a crevice or corner...hmmmm.

Anything hollow is a potential hiding spot. I have a TC hidden in an old construction concrete pipe. It had been there for years, covered in moss and ivy. I block one end of it with some big rocks, but put them in the tube, so if you were to look inside the wrong end you would see nothing. The right end, well, you will just have to do the puzzle first to find out whats there.

Most people, well about 99% walk looking down at the ground. Anything hidden just above the shoulders will be invisible to you. Such as someone pointed out with the polka dotted bra just above there head. I also have one planted in a tree, but I give clues as to the longer you wait, the further the cache will be from you, or something like that.

A cache sometimes is found by non GCrs or TCrs, or called Muggled. Mugglers stumble across a cache, not know what they find. Read the log book, look at the stuff, sometimes they sign the book and take something. But the biggest problem is, they don't know how to rehide it properly. Making it easier to be found again. Even GCrs have that problem too. So if your searching for the box, look for a trail, sticks or in just plain site. Your GC experience will go much faster, which means yuo can find more in one day. My record finds for one day is 15! I know some GCrs that make 15 look like grade school work.

I geocache and agree that users always seem to leave a trail, broken branches, knocked down weeds, it becomes easy to find them once you know what to look for. Mding is funner because you don't know if you'll find something worth something or trash, with geocaching, its just little trinkets.

I rarley would leave anything small when I place a cache. I stocked my caches with gloves, tools, money, tokens, travelers, and house hold useful items. Nothing more discouraging then to GC all day for just one cache and find it full of McDonald toys or tiny trinkets. Its the hunt, not the reward at the end, that makes GC fun. As with MDing, hunting is part of the game, the prize at the end for us is our reward.

Have fun, and remember to take your MD with you. GC and TC will take you to places you may never find without the gps.

Happy Hunting,

Gander

I've just started gc'ing since Christmas, only looked for and found one. Seems like it could be fun if and when I get the free time to do it, of course I'm waiting on my F2 detector to arrive and that will probably take up more of my time than gc'ing but I can see where they could go hand-in-hand, using the gps for a gc and finding a good tecting spot. But like I said I've just started one and am still waiting on the other.

I also geocache.I just retired My old Garmin and just ordered a "Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-40" to replace the Garmin as It is fun to detect & geocache if one is nearby!

The another question should be: WHY? do people geocache?

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I have been a geocacher since February of 2004. I have 1166 finds and have hidden 38.

I originally got my GPSr to record the location of my favorite wild mushrooming spots. Mushrooms can often be found at the same location year after year. When I was doing research about the best unit I could buy that fit my budget I also discovered Geocaching.com.

My first unit was a basic model Cobra that I paid $75 for. Manual input. no color, no maps, but it received alot of data. Now I own a Garmin 60CSx. Color,maps and all the bells and whistles a hobbyist could want. I bought the $600 retail value package on Ebay for $286.

But the question I proposed was WHY? As a detector I go to a site and don't know exactly what I will find. As a geocacher I go to a site knowing that I should be able to find something given the coordinates, a short story or description, a hint or two and the logs of the previous finders. The only hard part is if you are trying to be the first finder and the canister holding the log sheet is cleverly disguised as a water bib that someone mentioned earlier. As of this date I have over 210 FTF's(first-to-finds).

The best thing about the best geocaches is that someone took the time to hide one in a place that they wanted you to come to to see what else was there. Such as a 360 degree view atop the highest hill or some other historical significance such as an abandoned mine, ghost town, California Mission, tallest redwood tree or such. Sometimes you would never think of going there on your own but for some geocacher told you to go there to look for a cache.

Also, I don't have a lot of time to spend detecting so if it is a large area I turn on the tracking feature and when I return to the site on another day I can see exactly where I have already searched down to 10' accuracy! That way I don't waste time searching the same ground twice. Just like writing in a journal or log.

So if there is anything else you would like to know about geocaching just drop me a line. I live in Southern California, about 5 miles from Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm. I would like to get in touch with other MDers who live in the area so we could do some research together.

That's Waay too much for now,

Steve, Fullerton, Ca., "Got_4by4" on Geocaching.com

Do you have to have a GPS unit to do this? There are quite a few in my area that I would like to try to find. Also, Do you have to put the GPS coordinates if you hide one or can you give directions and hints to the location?

Dog

Do you have to have a GPS unit to do this? There are quite a few in my area that I would like to try to find. Also, Do you have to put the GPS coordinates if you hide one or can you give directions and hints to the location?

Dog
Yes you have to have GPS
to find one and to hide a cache. It's fun to do, i allways hide mine where it's hard to find. like up mountains in water just where ever it's hard to get to.

I like hiding mine in picturesque locations, so you get to see something more than just a container. One time I had a cache that was located on a side of a rocky bluff. With a road down below and a hint that said "yellow gate". The road down below had an orange gate. The clue said either take the easy way or the hard way, your choice. Of course the hard way, was the orange gate and the direct route, over landfalls, steep terain, heavy brush and thorns. And then you had to find a way to climb up the rocky bluff. The easy way was to go down the road a little bit, go in at the yellow gate and just follow the road right up to the cache. Its actual location was ........ ... ..... ... ............ .. ... ..... and ............ .. ......... ..... .

Me and my wife and kids do it all the time it is great to get the family together
and go find these caches plus you do find new spots to detect.

find em all the time detecting...if ya ever find one signed by Dtecs or find a ammo can with tons of dug clad in it its probably from me:lol:

Geocaching

I go Geocaching all the time,and is great fun.
You will find many places in your area that you never knew existed.
I've ben a member of Geocaching.com since 2005. Go there,put in your zip code,find a place you want to go to,put the co-ordinance in your GPS,write down the clue(which you have to unscramble),find the area,then find the cache,sign the log book,come back to Geocaching.com,and log your find.
When you find it,look around for mugglers(slang for someone who sees you make that find,waits for you to leave,then steals or destroys the find)
Keep in mind,you have to rehide the find exactly like you found it.
A cache can be a container containing anything.You can take something from it ,but you also must leave something in it's place.

Here are some Meanings of Acronyms and Terms Used in Geocaching:

What's a "muggle?" A non-geocacher who accidentally finds a cache or is in the area when you're searching for a cache.

What is "swag?" Some say this is short for "Stuff We All Get." Swag means the trade items that we swap at geocaches and carry in our backpacks.

What does "TPTB" mean? This is short for "The Powers That Be," meaning Jeremy and the other people who run Geocaching.com.

What do "TNLN," "TNLNSL," and "TFTC" mean in the online cache logs? "Took Nothing, Left Nothing," "Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log," and "Thanks for the Cache."

What does "YAPIDKA" mean? Yet Another Park I Didn't Know About.

Try it,You'll like it. This can go hand in hand with MDing. I now know of some great places to go MDing because of this...

If anyone around Wichita, Kansas is into Geocaching, I'd like to learn more about it. I have a Garmin PDA with a built in GPS and a until that is used with a laptop computer.:?:

I did some geocaching hunts a couple of years ago and just couldn't get into it. So far, MDing is so much more interesting.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

learning your GPS

Im in to this now also,found7 so for.lol,ok you can:Dat me,but it is fun and like this post here you get to learn your GPS very well.LOL its like a kid in a candy store once you get your first cache,your hooked....Life is good.Charles
Don't own one, but it sure sounds like fun. A friend of mine at work does it all the time. Good way to really learn the GPS eh. :yes:

MDing/Geocaching

There is one its called benchmark hunting its the same website as Geocaching just click on find a benchmark.I havent did it but just read about,you use your MD to find the BM if you cant see it due to yrs of weather blowing things over them.Here is the website http://www.geocaching.com.hope this helps.Charles
We decided to try this out today. We have 2 GPS units, one is a garmin i2 which is for car navigation, and the other one is a palm pilot.

We downloaded a software for the PDA from Beelinegps.com and it's a great little addition. We loaded the coordinates and off we went to the closest geocache in our area. We have been to this spot millions of times because it's one of our detecting spots, but never knew we were walking around a cache.

Well, it was a micro cache to start with, and it was our first one. It took 20 minutes to find it.

Geocaching and metal detecting could go hand in hand together. You could find many spots you never thought existed where possible good finds could be found with your metal detector.

If you're into actual cache hunting, this would really sharpen your "eye" for hiding spots. We plan on continuing to do this, it was fun.

Maybe we should plant one and throw our metal detecting finds in it. :yes:

Gps

Plus its good for the kids to learn how to input coordinates in a GPS too.Also input coordintes in there GPS in the vehicle(if you have one)...Charles
Me and my wife and kids do it all the time it is great to get the family together
and go find these caches plus you do find new spots to detect.

Garmin 60CSx ?

This sounds like way too much fun. I am NOT a hi-tech person. Can anyone tell me about the Garmin 60CSx? What optional stuff should I order with it? I live in a VERY rural part of the country (my home town is only here twice a week!). Will I have to go to MIT to get it up and running?

Back
Top Bottom