Anyone Geocaching?

I used to geocache. But found it rather boring. You hunt and hunt in the woods only to find a little box hidden in a tree stump or something and all there is a log book ar a bunch of silly toys. You are supposed to take something and leave something.

Geocaching is what got me to thinking about metal detecting because you can search and search in the woods and find coins or other neat metal objects.

I've found a couple while out detecting! And I signed the booklet inside, of course :)

I've been geocaching for a little over 2 years and I love it! I am not quite sure that I would combine it with Metal detecting, as they seem to be sort of opposite worlds. Although it could help me discover some new locations that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of visiting.

I've been geocaching for years and really enjoy it. I combine mine with hiking for exercise though, not MD. I always carry trinkets with me to leave, but I never take any. I use a Garmin 60CSx and love that GPS! HH!

I found a simple program that can be used to create your own treasure hunt. Or a geocaching for metal detectors.

It only works with GPS enabled cell phones.

To create a treasure hunt first you go to a location where you really do BURY an item.

Then while at the bury location click BURY & give your item a name.

Create clues & give them to those participating in the hunt.

When they click SEARCH the app will tell them that they are XX feet from the treasure if they are within 50 feet of the item that was buried. If you are 25 feet from the item it will show that you are 25' ect. If you are not within 50' it will tell you nothing!

When you are within 10' you click Dig to dig the item.

With a metal detector the hunter can actually find the item with their detector & dig it up.

You must use it outside where GPS coordinates of the location can be obtained.

You can look at it from your computer but it will only work from a GPS enabled cell phone!

Try it out: goldrushgang.com/Treasure-Hunt

Attachments

• treasure-hunt.jpg
    treasure-hunt.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 814
I started caching in in August of 2000 when a friend invited me to come along on a cache hunt when I was living is southern california. I had hidden several there myself, I havent cached in a while as I find in the post 9-11 world many people see you looking around and fiddiling with something they have a tendancy to become alarmed.

I found a simple program that can be used to create your own treasure hunt. Or a geocaching for metal detectors.

It only works with GPS enabled cell phones.

To create a treasure hunt first you go to a location where you really do BURY an item.

Then while at the bury location click BURY & give your item a name.

Create clues & give them to those participating in the hunt.

When they click SEARCH the app will tell them that they are XX feet from the treasure if they are within 50 feet of the item that was buried. If you are 25 feet from the item it will show that you are 25' ect. If you are not within 50' it will tell you nothing!

When you are within 10' you click Dig to dig the item.

With a metal detector the hunter can actually find the item with their detector & dig it up.

You must use it outside where GPS coordinates of the location can be obtained.

You can look at it from your computer but it will only work from a GPS enabled cell phone!

Try it out: goldrushgang.com/Treasure-Hunt

Thats cool. Do many people participate?

yes

Yes I geocached for a few years.I don't do it any longer but it was a lot of fun. They are everywhere.

I am going to try this, there are quite a few around the neighborhood and quite a few within walking distance of where i work. It looks like fun!

I've done it for years but stopped when gas prices spiked a few years ago. Haven't done much lately. I really likeed moving and owning travel bugs. One of mine made it to the top of the harbor bridge in Sydney, Australia only to go missing about 1000 miles from it's return trip home. My daughter's travel bug went all over the U.S. and Europe before disappearing. Thinking about buying a few more travel bugs to turn loose.

No, I personally don't but I did find an ammo box in the woods at the fairground. I thought it was a murder weapon inside when I kicked it. I pulled it out slow I opened it up a and there was a paper with writing on it. Turns out I found a geocache while metal detecting. There was a website on the paper said to go to it and post you found it. It was geocaching.com or something like that. So yes I know other people do too there was about 9 people who signed and dated the paper inside.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have done it for several years now. I do it sporadically though. I'll go out for a day now and again when I am looking for something to do. By far the most fun to me are the ones in rural areas. They take you to places that you might never find on your own. Some of these sites are very historical and/or beautiful.

One thing that slowed me down on geocaching though is the amount of "micro" caches that people are hiding now. They are nothing more than a tiny object with just a piece of paper. It shows no imagination and effort on the part of the person placing the cache IMHO. This is especially true with caches in area that a larger container that could hold trade items or travel bugs could easily be hidden. Finding "something" is always better than finding a small piece of paper. In urban areas "micro" caches can be very useful for hiding in small places but they are not the best option for everywhere.

Anybody tried this? We're thinking about doing it for a change of pace, and we might even find some new spots to detect.

We just signed up at geocaching.com and couldn't believe how many caches are hidden in our area. :wow:
I've tried it...have a dozen or so finds under my belt - not many, but enough to tell me that I might like another version of it better - metal detecting. Metal detecting strikes me as an activity that is less contrived, less predictable, less artificial and that has some real "finds" at the end. Geo-caching to me is like exercising on a tread mill instead of getting exercise while doing something more productive.

Geo-caching is fun for many - it can be challenging to find the more difficult caches and satisfying when they are found.

My recent geo-caching experience is what led me to rediscover metal detecting. For me, there is more of a purpose in metal detecting. Real things are likely to be found. There are many overlapping qualities between the two hobbies: they both involve "the hunt"; they both involve learning and using reliable equipment; they both provide exercise and get you out in the fresh air. But metal detecting gives you access to more of the unknown and strikes me as more genuine - with perhaps less frequent "finds" but potentially more rewarding ones.

That is why, for me, I am motivated to de-emphasize my geo-caching activity and try out the challenges of metal detecting.

If I continued with geo-caching, I was going to supplement my difficult-to-read-in-the-sun cell phone GPS and mapping apps with a dedicated hand held GPS unit for $250 or more. Instead I will use that money, plus a bit more, to acquire appropriate metal detecting equipment. We have an active Treasure Hunters Club in The Villages, but to my knowledge no geo-caching organization.

Me and my dad have done a bit of geocaching, he's more into it than I am. It's a great way to learn how to use a GPS. :) We did one that was a multi-step one that was actually pretty fun. Each location would have clues to figure out where the next location/clue was, some of the clues were fairly easy (follow a line a certain direction from location#2 to find a building with a cow), some you had to know a bit of local history to decipher.

My gf just started doing this yesterday. I detected for a few hrs in the am for .85 then took her to a cache out in the boonies (detector in hand btw) she followed her phone to a sealed tupperware container sitting on a log under a low tree limb. Inside was .75 in quarters, a cool little copper xmas ornament, a little stuffed animal and some other trinkets. "And I didn't even need that thing." she blurted out. :roll: We went to one more where she scored other goodies, put other stuff in etc. etc. we then went home, I took a nap :yoda: and she went out for about an hour with my son and came home with all kinds of little odds and ends. I think she became addicted pretty quick cause she told me last night that she wanted to go again today and that we also needed to check into an AT pro a little closer for me. :jawdrop: :holycow: On the other hand.......her BD is on the 26th and now she wants a weekend getaway at a resort on Orcas island to geocache and get pampered a bit. I'm going to detect, eat and sleep but maybe not in that order. The trip will run about $500 for the weekend but it's looking to me like she is getting in at least a** deep in the blackmail pool. :laughing:

Anybody tried this? We're thinking about doing it for a change of pace, and we might even find some new spots to detect.

We just signed up at geocaching.com and couldn't believe how many caches are hidden in our area. :wow:

My gf just started doing this yesterday. I detected for a few hrs in the am for .85 then took her to a cache out in the boonies (detector in hand btw) she followed her phone to a sealed tupperware container sitting on a log under a low tree limb. Inside was .75 in quarters, a cool little copper xmas ornament, a little stuffed animal and some other trinkets. "And I didn't even need that thing." she blurted out. :roll: We went to one more where she scored other goodies, put other stuff in etc. etc. we then went home, I took a nap :yoda: and she went out for about an hour with my son and came home with all kinds of little odds and ends. I think she became addicted pretty quick cause she told me last night that she wanted to go again today and that we also needed to check into an AT pro a little closer for me. :jawdrop: :holycow: On the other hand.......her BD is on the 26th and now she wants a weekend getaway at a resort on Orcas island to geocache and get pampered a bit. I'm going to detect, eat and sleep but maybe not in that order. The trip will run about $500 for the weekend but it's looking to me like she is getting in at least a** deep in the blackmail pool. :laughing:

Wow this thread is 8 years old and Carol doesn't look a day older than then.
Thanks LordOfTheZincs for sharing the geocache story.:yes:

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and I guess somewhat new to detecting as well.. I am however an avid geocacher. My spouse has a detector and I ended up borrowing it from her a few times during my winter caching adventures... Needless to say, It worked so well, and cut down my Did Not Find count that I waited till I found one on sale and got my own detector now... I really have yet to use it for anything other than geocaching yet, but that will come! Had I more time I would have liked to have tried it while we were geocaching out at the whitecourt crater, as we did see a couple with detectors digging in the area, and they showed us some fragments they had found there. Interesting stuff indeed.

I guess if I want to go search for something I'll just look for my wife's car keys! LOL

Back
Top Bottom