Can anyone beat my internet speed?

The big-name satellite data service will run about $50/mo for 10 Gigs of data, unless you want to get up about 2am to use the free 50 Gigs. That would last my family of 4 about 3 days. At least with slower rural wireline, the limit is about 150 Gigs/mo.

I've been paying $60 for 5GB, now I'll be paying $80 for 10GB.

Well, on the new JetPack at the moment, and just spent an hour on the phone with Verizon :roll: It would appear this isn't the "answer to my prayers". They had to put an Tech guy on the phone.

Bottom line...JetPack ain't gonna work. I get 2 signal bars on it at best.

Stooge who sold it to me was wrong (about lots of things) and there IS an Air Card available (4G) with an external antenna port, so I'll be getting that in the mail next week, and it's cheaper than the JetPack.
Speed Test on JetPack- 3.86up.... 0.16dn

I was told my speed problem coincided with the unleashing of some sort of unlimited plan, 3-4 months ago. There is 1 Verizon tower 5 miles north of me.

If new Air Card doesn't help, he's gonna call Engineers in to see if tower is over-loaded. If it is, I'm sure they'll get right on erecting a new one :laughing:

Good thing, at least I could watch a metal detecting video without if stopping to buffer :cool:

I've been paying $60 for 5GB, now I'll be paying $80 for 10GB.

Well, on the new JetPack at the moment, and just spent an hour on the phone with Verizon :roll: It would appear this isn't the "answer to my prayers". They had to put an Tech guy on the phone.

Bottom line...JetPack ain't gonna work. I get 2 signal bars on it at best.

Stooge who sold it to me was wrong (about lots of things) and there IS an Air Card available (4G) with an external antenna port, so I'll be getting that in the mail next week, and it's cheaper than the JetPack.
Speed Test on JetPack- 3.86up.... 0.16dn

I was told my speed problem coincided with the unleashing of some sort of unlimited plan, 3-4 months ago. There is 1 Verizon tower 5 miles north of me.

If new Air Card doesn't help, he's gonna call Engineers in to see if tower is over-loaded. If it is, I'm sure they'll get right on erecting a new one :laughing:

Good thing, at least I could watch a metal detecting video without if stopping to buffer :cool:

Hopefully the 4G Air Card you get next week will perform as expected.

Your upload is now higher than the download, that is unusual !

Tell them you'll scout out a spot for a new tower about 1/8 mile from your home to save them time :laughing:

88.57 Mbps upload

11.67 Mbps down

You just BARELY squeaked by me :laughing:

Just ran another test:
4.51up
0.22dn

So it's improved for sure.....just not enough to justify $80/mo

Hopefully the 4G Air Card you get next week will perform as expected.

Your upload is now higher than the download, that is unusual !

Tell them you'll scout out a spot for a new tower about 1/8 mile from your home to save them time :laughing:

Having the external trucker antenna reconnected has to be a huge improvement (I hope), if it's due to an over-crowded tower, I doubt much will help, short of an additional tower. Hmmmm, I got a spare 1/4 acre out back I'd be glad to lease them :cool:

ETA: I failed to mention, they've all been VERY nice people, and seem like they're concerned and being as helpful as they can....including the 1st guy. I think he just didn't know his hind-end from a hole in the ground.

Having the external trucker antenna reconnected has to be a huge improvement (I hope), if it's due to an over-crowded tower, I doubt much will help, short of an additional tower. Hmmmm, I got a spare 1/4 acre out back I'd be glad to lease them :cool:

ETA: I failed to mention, they've all been VERY nice people, and seem like they're concerned and being as helpful as they can....including the 1st guy. I think he just didn't know his hind-end from a hole in the ground.

Hey, tell them part of the lease deal on that 1/4 acre must include free unlimited service for life at the highest possible speed :lol:

Yep, we know glitches happen sometimes even with the best companies, what makes it bearable is when you have friendly, easy to talk to customer service and tech help that really care about making things right :D

You just BARELY squeaked by me :laughing:

Just ran another test:
4.51up
0.22dn

So it's improved for sure.....just not enough to justify $80/mo

You don't want the tower in your backyard, believe me. Aside from the hazards of invisible RF in the area, you'll have zilch for signal because you are under the signal 'umbrella'. Our provider's xmttr is about 1kft behind us on the hill, and we get one maybe two bars at times. Go down the road 800'and receive full signal.

Yeah that's odd your upload speed is so much higher than download. I've never seen that before. You really want the reverse; unless all you are doing is uploading data.

You don't want the tower in your backyard, believe me. Aside from the hazards of invisible RF in the area, you'll have zilch for signal because you are under the signal 'umbrella'. Our provider's xmttr is about 1kft behind us on the hill, and we get one maybe two bars at times. Go down the road 800'and receive full signal.

Yeah that's odd your upload speed is so much higher than download. I've never seen that before. You really want the reverse; unless all you are doing is uploading data.

That's why in an earlier post I said he could scout a location for them about 1/8 of a mile away, because I knew it was not healthy to be real close to a cell tower. I even heard of vegetation not growing close to a tower, so it can't be good for people to be too close :shock:

LOL, I'd let 'em have the whole place :yes:

Was going to do another Speed Test, but now it's just showing the Beta version and wanting me to download it, wasn't like that earlier.

Just downloaded it from the Google Store. Now things are turned around.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 7.27.35 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 7.27.35 PM.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 99
Just checked mine again, 21.45 mbps download and 1.92 mbps upload, I pay about $30 per month for unlimited internet and unlimited phone in Mexico and the US.

I've been checking mine every so often, and at 3AM:

0.28 up and 9 down. Seems like it's all over the place, but maybe that's normal? I'd have thought it would have been a little faster at this time of day (or night).

Too bad this kind of speed isn't available everywhere, but even if it was, could the average person afford it, I'm not sure of the cost.

http://fios.verizon.com/fios-speeds.html

......from the above link -

"Introducing Fios Gigabit Connection, our fastest plan ever.

Super-fast Fios Internet just got even faster. Upgrade to Fios Gigabit Connection (up to 940/880 Mbps) today for powerful speed, backed by our 100% fiber-optic network. Now you can share your photos, stream HD entertainment, play online games and more, faster than ever before."

Too bad this kind of speed isn't available everywhere, but even if it was, could the average person afford it, I'm not sure of the cost.

http://fios.verizon.com/fios-speeds.html

......from the above link -

"Introducing Fios Gigabit Connection, our fastest plan ever.

Super-fast Fios Internet just got even faster. Upgrade to Fios Gigabit Connection (up to 940/880 Mbps) today for powerful speed, backed by our 100% fiber-optic network. Now you can share your photos, stream HD entertainment, play online games and more, faster than ever before."
Awesome! Too bad they're not here.

Just got the new air card, swapped SIM cards (as told to do) plugged it into my Router, plugged in the external antenna......

iu

Sooooo....I'm waiting for a call from my new best buddy at Verizon. :roll:

Just got the new air card, swapped SIM cards (as told to do) plugged it into my Router, plugged in the external antenna......

Sooooo....I'm waiting for a call from my new best buddy at Verizon. :roll:

:shock: What ?????

After all what you went thru already they at least need to send you a T-shirt and baseball cap ! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom