General Metal Detecting Guide

I appreciate this post very much as I am a newbie and learning from the great people and their posts on this great forum. Thank you very much and happy hunting!

Hi All, New guy here in South Phila. There's a few good hunters I know and Im going with the New "Whites coinmaster" Purple guy..

Hope to hunt with anyone near the Jersey shore or PA.

rs

Pointers

Nice post Dave. I think a good pin pointer makes the hobby much more enjoyable. I just got a Garret Pro Pointer to start off this season. Thanks for the tips! John

Thanks for the information...i have learned more from the reviews of my detector -AT Pro- then i did from the manual and more from the tips of detecting then from the books on detecting...i suppose many voices make for good tips against one voice from 'authority'.

The Garrett ProPointer is the thing that has stopped me from putting down my detector and finding another hobby....it makes the dig and sort so much easier.

I also follow a rule myself to not only leave a place as good as i found it but better when i can, like picking up broken glass in tinytot parks or the upward pointing nails and slashed cans which would be an accident waiting to happen.

I also make sure to check with my local parks/rec to get permission and even to ask if they want me to bring finds in if theyre interesting, they can always enhance the knowledge of local history.

Another tip i found which im sure others have learned quickly is when you keep finding the same thing (rusty nails) and they keep giving the same ID if you cant notch out the individual number you can recall it and if your going to be in that area for a long time detecting (weeks) write down the dead signals for that area to ignore them as opposed to discriminating everything upto and slightly above it (there are still some good iron finds out there).

I did this and stopped with the rusty nails but found the steal crossbow tips and bullets.

Also found that if you scan and get one signal to then do the same scan from 90 degrees and see if its the same signal to avoid ring pulls and nailsthat give thin but long or coins then steel in the other direction

hello from malaysia

hi there members of the forum, i'm new to this forum and the hobby as well:D. lots of thread to be read lol. but thnks in advance for thos nice discussion. loooking forward to digging more infos....

from Malaysia ^_^

Thanks SLO Dave, for taking the time to show us rookies the way to this great hobby. Got my F2 about two days ago, can wait to take it out on the field. But still got a long way to go.

Back
Top Bottom