• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Issue with Garrett pinpointer

jmr7

Hi. I have started having an issue with my Garrett pinpointer. I have the black one. I think it has to do with the on/off button. It doesn't seem to want to stay on when I try to turn it on. Is that a known issue? I have had it about 4 years, but certainly don't metal detect a lot. Just wondering if it is worth it to try to have it fixed? Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

I have seen a few threads on the carrot and the black pin pointer being sent back to Garrett to have the switches repaired . Can't speak to if its a common issue or not me being a newbie but I've noticed the threads on it .

Sounds like the switch may be defective... my original PP Is doing the opposite as sometimes it doesn't want to turn off.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Common problem on the older black Propointers.
The newer orange "Carrots" seem to have a much stronger switch.

I called them about mine once, they said a switch repair is $25 plus you pay to ship it to them one way.
I had two and they said they would repair both for that same $25 if I sent them in at the same time which was nice of them.

My first Garrett pro pointer had a worn out switch after three years of heavy detecting. I'm using my second pro pointer now and I'm in my third year with it and it seems the switch is starting to wear out. if it makes it until year's end I'll be happy and will buy a new pinpointer next year but may consider a different brand.

My first Garrett pro pointer had a worn out switch after three years of heavy detecting. I'm using my second pro pointer now and I'm in my third year with it and it seems the switch is starting to wear out. if it makes it until year's end I'll be happy and will buy a new pinpointer next year but may consider a different brand.
If it works good other than the switch and you can solder.. there are a couple of listing on ebay "pro pointer switch" you could fix it yourself and save having to buy another pinpointer. Idf you replace it be sure to depress the switch(on position" or you may break it when removing the board from the case or reinserting the case... I replaced on on my original PP

I considered replacing mine. Coming from an occupation where I was required to solder,,,this switch is pretty compact with close tolerances to the pins through the board. I called the idea quits since all I own after retirement is general purpose solder irons, a solder sucker or two, but IMO, to the job well, I would need the bench I used in my profession. Clamps and a magnifier ring.

About the switch not staying on though, you should be ok using it as a momentary switch by holding the button down while searching. I had mine like that when I broke my switch years ago. It its usable like that though, and turning off the pointer is standard protocol after retrieval anyway.

I personally won't take the black Garrets apart again after breaking my switch. I did get it back together to the momentary status, but I was up late in the wee hours of the morning, chasing springs which flew off, etc. I accomplished the job except I didn't want the momentary action, also I drove to Garrets.

I've read where many people did replace it successfully. It is "a bear" though if something goes wrong. The switch ain't just a 2-pole switch. Several contacts.

Jm2c

Back
Top Bottom