1776 William Moulton NH copper

Chapel679

I found a 1776 new hampshire William Moulton colonial copper coin . I am in the process of trying get it looked at .I got a whitman's red book and it talks about it .this is what it says word for word .

[[New Hampshire was the first state to consider the subject of coinage following the declaration of independence. William Moulton was empowered to make a limted quality of coins
of pure copper authorized by the state house of representatives in 1776. Although cast patterns were prepared, it is believed that they were not approved. Little of the proposed
coinage was ever actually circulated. Other purported patterns are of doubtful origin. These
include a unique engraved piece and rare struck piece with large initials WM on the reverse....
Thats what mine has on it . The WM with American Liberty around the outer edge. And on the other side is a pine tree with 17 on one side of the tree and 76 on the other . .]]
If anyone knows anything about this coin let me know please thx alot.

Attachments

• William Moulton F 1776.JPG
    William Moulton F 1776.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 15,424
  • William Moulton 1776.JPG
    William Moulton 1776.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 13,723
Are you serious? Did you find this coin in Louisianna???

This is awesome, we should move this thread to Eye Popping, Mind blowing Finds forum! :yes:

I don't know anything about it but it is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! congrats on the find!!!! where did you find it?......not in Louisianna?

The New Hampshire coppers are an enigma. There are a handful that may be original, but even those are in question. Then there are hundreds of thousands of cast replicas that are sold for a couple dollars each for souveniers at various places, unfortunately yours appears to be among the latter. It does not match any of the "originals", by all means have it looked at by someone if you can, but it looks like one of the many replicas.

Well tommorow im going to new orleans for a coin show . Should be 30-40 dealers there . Im sure someone there should be able to let me know if its real or not..Im going to keep my fingers crossed i will let you guys know what i find out tommorow ..Thx again for all your help ,info ,and research.

Check out THIS chopper:
(OHH... you said "copper" huh? Sorry!)

Attachments

• RimlessBike.jpg
    RimlessBike.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 12,487
William Moulton coin

Well!!!!! Was it real!!!

I have one!! Mullins57

i agree with l.cutler it appears to be a replica , but still a very neat looking coin

In the Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins on page 60, item 705 does not give weight, but 706 has a weight of 79.5 grs. = 5.15 gms this one 706 brought $7,500.00. This book has a date of 1988. If proven to be real you have a winner. Do not have an update right on value. The 705 is more rare, and are always cast.:-)

I hope you hit the jackpot, but the location and condition make me think, "replica." Be careful, get it checked out, and don't buy anything big ... yet. :cool:

Geoff

I have the exact same coin in the same condition

My great-grandfather gave me his collection of coins, and this one blew my mind. I haven't had the time to check the legitimacy or worth of it, but maybe you have found some luck since this post is a few years old.

Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any information!

Back
Top Bottom