• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Fisher F2

mdmike01

I found a used fisher F2 with 3 coils for $215.
Or
I can get a new F22 with 1 coil for $229.
Is the F22 that much better? :?:
And, GENERALLY, do metal detectors last if taken care of properly?

Last edited:
I bought the F2 with 2 coils for around that $215 price($200, actually), and eventually got the 10" coil, later for $50...the 3 coil F2 package usually sold for a little under $300 at the time these were hot.
To me $215 on a discontinued used unit with no warranty is not the greatest deal in the world in the market today even with those 3 coils.

Did really well with mine for about 3 years.
I used the 8" coil for about 1.5 years then threw the sniper coil on the bottom just as a lark...for the next 1.5 years that sniper rarely came off again.
The bigger coil was ok but I used it only about 5 times, I usually hunted trashed out sites and the sniper worked better.

Between these two I would go with the new one.
You get the 5 year warranty, on the F2 you don't and things can go bad.
The power button on my F2 stopped working within a year, the way I turned it off and on after that was to pull and then reinstall the batteries.
I should have sent it in under warranty but I didn't want to be without it even for a couple of weeks.
Without a warranty that kind of repair now might not be real cheap.

The F22 takes two AA batteries, the F2 uses 2 9v's...a little less hunting time using just 2 AA's but overall I would think less expensive to run.
You have the same features as the F2 plus they added more.
More sense levels, audio levels, iron indicator, four programs and it saves your settings.
You also have that weatherproofing in case you get caught in the rain.
The coil looks weird to me but supposedly it works good and they finally came out with a cheaper sniper coil that fits the new one so you don't have to spend a lot more money on the frat bros version.
I never swung an F22 but I have watched videos and it should work in a similar way if not better than the F2.
They both have Fisher DNA built in, the F22 has some of the newer Teknetics DNA in there too so the abilities they both have and how they perform should run along similar lines.
If I had an F22 instead if the F2 I bet I would have been just as happy and successful.

Kind of a no brainer, and I am the biggest fan if the F2 you will probably ever find, but unless the price on that F2 package comes way down go for the new generation F22.

I had both the F2 and a garrett 250. I sold the F2 and wish that I had sold the Garrett instead. The Garrett is a good machine but I liked the F2 a whole lot better.

Back
Top Bottom