• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting CODE OF ETHICS

Hi Chris, by now you will have had a decent opportunity to practise this wonderful hobby of detecting and no doubt your Garret will be proud of its self. My own experience of detecting goes back to 1971 when I built my first machine. (aB.F.O.) which was the very simplest of systems. Graduated to a further self build machine called a T/R Transmit/receivedetector which was in fact awesome in its ability to make finds. Since then dabbled in beach, water, farmland with a variety of detectors and now at the grand old age of 79 , am still going strong with my trusty old Whites XLT. Here's to the next thirty five years.!!! Keep pinging. Regards Arch

I do solomenly swear to adhere to the Code of Ethics. Thats one rule I've always believed in when Metal Detecting,Camping,Fishing or Hunting.Leave it as you find it or in better condition.

I'm having a (green) T-shirt made up with the Code of Ethics on the back and a picture of a MD on the front. Maybe if enough people see it they will get the idea that all metal detectorists aren't vandals. They can see that we have set rules that we follow.

Thanks for possting the thread, always gotta fowllow the rules, and always watch where you hunt:yes:

I agree with the MD Code of Ethics.
Except.
The part about getting permission.
So far, from reading the experiences of others and with my own (limited) experience, I am convinced that each location needs to be evaluated using common sense and morals, and then dug or not, permission be danged.
Here is a few of my guidelines:
Government land: Parks, national forests, road easements and similar = Mine. I paid for each one of these out of my pocket with my labor, and assuming I'm following the rest of the Code regarding hole size, neatness, courtesy, picking up litter etc., I am not doing anything immoral or unethical.
Also govt: Historical sites, sensitive areas of whatever nature--I leave it be. It's just common sense.
As for private land, here are a couple of examples. A large ranch owned by the same family for several generations recently sold most of it's land to a developer. As the development (into an industrial park) continues, an old homestead site (possibly a line shack for cowpokes) is within a few weeks of being bulldozed.
I contacted the developer, who said no for safety reasons. Now, I know there are release forms out there and I could have tried again. But I tell you what. He didn't say no for safety or any other reasons other than because it was the easiest way to cover his *ss in these times of ridiculous lawsuits. If I had persevered, I would have drawn attention to myself and "safety" measures may have been put into place.
Have I been out there? Yes, and hope to go again before the tear-down.
Another situation: Older house on acreage, recently bought by corporation. Outbuildings already removed, brick house to go next. Have I been there? Yes. And since then the house has been razed, and if they scrape the lot I might just go back. The lot is just going to be built on again, and you cannot convince me they have any interest in any rusty bits 'n pieces I remove.
Places where people live or businesses operate, not without asking.
Two "historical" type situations on private land: the remains of a stage stop, on private land, in a fenced field, with an additional fence around the site. No go. Another stage stop site about to be wiped out to widen a road. The site is already trashed. I go, and, no, I don't ask.
An empty lot in a neighborhood where a house used to be? It depends. I go case by case. I'm not doing any damage, I'm taking away litter, I'm not taking anything of value (usually :() and if I do find an old coin or something, would they have found it if I hadn't been there? Were they even looking?
I judge each situation, and if it passes my moral and ethical tests I go for it. Note I left off legal. I know private land is not mine and therefore anything I take from it could be construed as stealing, and even being on it as trespassing. Then again, at least out here, mineral rights do not necessarily belong to the landowner, nor water rights or timber rights or even grazing rights. As far as "treasure" rights, which is sooo in the eye of the beholder...?
As far as permission, I'll leave when asked and apologize when necessary and let my morals, ethics and experience be my guide.
And I am registered as, and do vote, Libertarian.

I agree with all but the libertarian!! Sorry!!

Mister Ed.....Most of your post was interesting reading. But I disagree with the part about metal detectors being available for $19.95 from Harbor Frieght as being a bad thing.
Although I have never seen a metal detector that sold that cheap, I bought my first metal detector frm Wal-Mart. If it wasn't for the low price of that metal detector ($99.95) I would have never gotten into the hobby.
Soon after, I up-graded, and have been enjoying the hobby ever since. My point is this....there is something to be said for cheapo detectors.

swick

Ha ha I bought my son a metal detector from Radio Shack for 15.00 when he was 5 years old to let him learn and enjoy the hobby. it worked well but had no discrimination and beeped on any metal. I got thinking after the fact, is this what I want my son to be using?? Digging every hole that beeps?? I decided to buy a used Whites that at least had discrimination, it was a much better choice.

We should all respect the Code as it helps us continue to hunt in places without public protest. Great post.

JustLucky :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at a local playground/ballfield with my nephew and came upon dirty needles close to the playground.Police were only too happy that we came along.I cant imagine a child picking one of these up.So glad these were found.:mad:

Was at a local playground/ballfield with my nephew and came upon dirty needles close to the playground.Police were only too happy that we came along.I cant imagine a child picking one of these up.So glad these were found.:mad:

We live in apartments near a hospital....some boxes of needles we stolen...then they found several used ones in our apt playground....we had the police and a hazmat team cleaning the park grounds...i wouldve helped but i didnt have my tector yet:(

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics-Newbie

This is a wonderful site. Thanks for the Code of Ethics posts. I ordered my detector and should get it next week so I am very excited to get into this hobby. I had no idea there were so many restrictions and laws regarding metal detecting. :?: Good thing I found this site! I did go to Atlas.gov and was able to print out a specific map of my areas' Federal, Indian, and protected areas, and I also checked out the links the links to State restrictions and parks. This site is very helpful and I look forward to learning as much as I can. Thank you so much!

WOW, learned alot tonight from these forums! Thanks

My MD will be in some time next week, and I cant wait to get started find stuff. :)

I haven't done any MD'ing yet but this was something I had to read.

Thanks.

Very new to hobby

Thank you for the great information. As a newcomer to the hobby it always helps to know the written and unwritten rules of the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom