When posting pictures...

Sure, Dooy.. Glad to help (s'long as it isn't every day... :D).

I used my Nikon D5100 and just got my Macro flash ring adapter...Using a solid color background (white if I can) then I can get almost right up on it. The Macro flash rings can be found cheap on ebay, I got mine for just under $50 shipped. Here is my latest sample..

Anyone know what this is?

Grid paper

I had a pack of 1/4" grid paper just layin' around so I took a couple of pics for (another forum) and the size dilemma was solved. I suppose you could find 1/8" or even metric, but 1/4" should be very easy to find.

wow

Sometimes it's not easy to assume the size of what someone is trying to share for a picture to it's viewers, so please... don't make a posted picture into a guessing game. Use something that everyone already knows the size of, as a scale (a ruler, a coin, heck, even a cigarette pack).
Here's a good example:
These are 2 pictures of my very first gold ring find (12" deep):

Amazing you found that tiny tiny gold ring 12'' down. That must have been a really faint tone. I have been detecting about 15 years and now after reading. your article. I can imagine how many relics etc I have left behind. At some untouched cellar holes I found. A 1/2 reale 8'' down was my deepest. Good work Krom

test

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,460
If a picture you are about to post looks blurry to you, or has absolutely no detail because it is too dark, too washed out, etc - It is going to look the same to us. A dark, featureless, blurry copper disk is going to look just like a dark, featureless, blurry copper disk to us.

Posting a blurry mess and asking us to ID it is generally pointless.

Zoom and Crop: Please crop your pictures. The only thing of interest in the picture should be the item in question. Posting a picture with a tiny object in the center with 25 square feet of your kitchen table in the background is unproductive.

Rotate: Posting pictured sideways or upside down are difficult to look at. Of course, the exception is when you have no idea which side it top, bottom, left or right. If it is a coin and it has a someone's head of the face of the coin, it should be obvious.

Tablets and Phones all have software that can focus, resize, zoom, crop, and rotate. Using the excuse that you don't know how to use the software is just plain lazy. If you want us to help you out, you need to help us out too.

When in doubt of a picture's quality, show it to someone before you post. If they can't make it out, retake, or ask them to take it.

If a picture you are about to post looks blurry to you, or has absolutely no detail because it is too dark, too washed out, etc - It is going to look the same to us. A dark, featureless, blurry copper disk is going to look just like a dark, featureless, blurry copper disk to us.

Posting a blurry mess and asking us to ID it is generally pointless.

Zoom and Crop: Please crop your pictures. The only thing of interest in the picture should be the item in question. Posting a picture with a tiny object in the center with 25 square feet of your kitchen table in the background is unproductive.

Rotate: Posting pictured sideways or upside down are difficult to look at. Of course, the exception is when you have no idea which side it top, bottom, left or right. If it is a coin and it has a someone's head of the face of the coin, it should be obvious.

Tablets and Phones all have software that can focus, resize, zoom, crop, and rotate. Using the excuse that you don't know how to use the software is just plain lazy. If you want us to help you out, you need to help us out too.

When in doubt of a picture's quality, show it to someone before you post. If they can't make it out, retake, or ask them to take it.

I just wanted to share my featureless copper disc:lol:
Couldn't resist

Attachments

• 10-1-16 copper disc.jpg
    10-1-16 copper disc.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,386
Much of the ice fishing world uses the common beer can for size comparison...:D

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170216_222604.jpg
    IMG_20170216_222604.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 889
Found this on my first dig ever. I went withvTandTmrh who took me to a great spot where the confederate were on the last battle before surrendering Savannah to Sherman. I also found a confederate cannon ball fragment.
Can anyone tell me what this actually is?

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_1699.jpg
    IMG_1699.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 890
Found this on my first dig ever. I went withvTandTmrh who took me to a great spot where the confederate were on the last battle before surrendering Savannah to Sherman. I also found a confederate cannon ball fragment.
Can anyone tell me what this actually is?

Looks like a rusty bolt, attached to a nail, maybe?

Do I need to be on my laptop to post pictures of finds that I need help identifying?

Back
Top Bottom