• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

EQ coil

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Ive got to ask those that have the EQ and is using it in the water.... how do you like it? My opinion..... like the CTXs the coils has a lot of drag from those 6 cross braces. Its light thou. Let me ask a dumb question...... any of you consider CUTTING the front and middle one off? The coil seems strong enough to do that and i believe it would really reduce the drag and float it seems to have if you move it rather quickly.

I also used the bluetooth in lieu of the WM08. I noticed no drag and it sure was easier to dig pennies than the CTX...... seems i always ended up chasing the around the hole. Definitely takes some thought about how to set it up .... and this old man couldnt remember what the adjustment Icons were.:lol:

I think mine is broken...... i never got a chain, gold coin ..... or even a cheap ring.:laughing:

Dew, I have a feeling mine will be broken when I get it also. I hope it will find chains but I am not going to hold my breath. Time will tell. I know for sure chains have been lost where I am searching.

No clue what would happen if you broke the braces off except void the warranty

Ive tested a few chains i have around the house....... small enough the Xcal or CTX wont get um. IMO.... it does a LITTLE better than the CTX, especially if there is anything like the clasp or a small dangle. BUT..... looks like a pipe dream wanting to scoop um in by the truck loads from what i can tell. Machines may well very and i was using beach 1. It does do better on larger rings thou than both the Xcal and CTX .... AIR TESTING. It may go to s**t once it hits deeper water. She likes to chatter and the number jitter..... but who cares im listening for a target. I do wished it had the CTX khz level on tones thou.

About the same Dew

But the Equinox coil has a flat bottom and top, here are both coils side by side , the cross member's are a little different, coil size about the same, same for the thickness .

Attachments

• P1000962.JPG
    P1000962.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 353
  • P1000963.JPG
    P1000963.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 344
  • P1000964.JPG
    P1000964.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 347
SM....... i know what they look like i have them both. My point is WHY are they needed.... they arent on the Xcal or even a mono coil. Just the one has the cable... the other 5 make it look good i guess..... but other than that i dont see a purpose for um. Coil is a little light...... if removed looks like it would move a lot cleaner with less coil flip.

I asked on another forum and all the dirt guys answered me...:laughing:

Ya

I was going to say, dirt hunting, gold hunting, remember this machine was set up for all types of hunting, personally i would use the Excalibur in over knee deep, knee deep or less Equinox or CTX3030, just hope the 15 coil is better than the breakable CTX3030 -17 coil in the water. Itsaring said he went through 3 -17 inch coil's in the water that's 1200 clams:shock: The Nox isn't the perfect machine, just another great tool in the arsenal.

You hit the nail on the head ...... the coil is designed better for dirt hunting. I see no connection to the coil where cutting them would allow water inside. Wheres the vision .....:lol: Of course ... i need to wait a bit until they get the standard coil available too........ just in case.:lol:

Let me add...... how many remember when the CTX came out? One of the complaints was those supports was catching everything like grass and limbs. But .... i think people learnt it is what it is and got over the growing pains.

Last edited:
Hoping

The 15 might be a bit different, more water friendly, sent that 14x9 coiltek for the CTX3030 back, the CTX3030 had issues communicating with the smart coil, we will have to wait and see if after market coils will come, and ML accessories , i need some waterproof headphone's , and the 15 coil, the season here is June , July , August, waiting . I am sure you could use them now, happy hunting , Earl

But the Equinox coil has a flat bottom and top, here are both coils side by side , the cross member's are a little different, coil size about the same, same for the thickness .

Look at the difference in shaft size....:shock: (Still waiting for your EQ performance thread dew....:yes:)

CT Curt

Yes the CTX has a much bigger shaft, also remember that the coax cable run's inside the shaft , were as the Equinox is on the outside, this will cause some drag, going to run mine tomorrow in ankle to knee deep, depending on the waves, than i will know how the drag really is, Earl

Yes the CTX has a much bigger shaft, also remember that the coax cable run's inside the shaft , were as the Equinox is on the outside, this will cause some drag, going to run mine tomorrow in ankle to knee deep, depending on the waves, than i will know how the drag really is, Earl

Could always wrap an old bike tire or something similar around the outside of the cable and shaft.. it will still be less drag than the ctx

Steve

Really i don't submerge the CTX's , and probably won't on the Equinox, i will use the Blue 800 and the 1000 for that, however on the pin point under the knob i have the top o ring that is not seated, i played with it 1/2 hour one night only to give up, so it looks like this year only the 800 will be submerged , Dr . OBN is on strike :roll::laughing: and is ball and chained .

Curt...... there seems to be a LOT of gurus putting out info right now. Someone said it best thou....... the CTX is refined and the EQ is fly by your pant fun. Different beaches is going to make a difference on how to run it too. moisture can affect which mode you maybe able to run in the dry sand. Field 2 is the deepest on small gold, park 2.... then beach 1. UNLESS.... there is a lot of moisture on the sand .... field and park then sounds like a light saber.:lol: Beach 1 if you can run it in the water seems the best..... Beach 2 is quieter, but if you listen it just sounds like you turned the volume down on beach 1. I believe we may be able to just drop the sensitivity a notch or two under 20 and smooth it out without loosing a lot of depth. Once we all get a way to dunk it.......then ill spend more time hunting with it than playing around.

Steve you dont even notice the coil cable making any drag and that coil really stays down there MUCH better than the CTX.

Back
Top Bottom