Scoop for water hunting..

Robm1093

What size scoop for water hunting, Beach, streams, pond. My thoughts a large mouth scoop, Is this correct? I will also hunt dry sand

What size scoop for water hunting, Beach, streams, pond. My thoughts a large mouth scoop, Is this correct? I will also hunt dry sand

A LOT depends on your budget. I would suggest one that will last with a warranty. We have a sponsor that makes wonderful scoops.

http://www.stealthscoop.com/

It will handle many different kinds of material from sand to stones. I use a 9". Others use a 7".

You can buy cheaper and some work wonderful, but you do get what you pay for if you go too cheap.

A LOT depends on your budget. I would suggest one that will last with a warranty. We have a sponsor that makes wonderful scoops.

http://www.stealthscoop.com/

It will handle many different kinds of material from sand to stones. I use a 9". Others use a 7".

You can buy cheaper and some work wonderful, but you do get what you pay for if you go too cheap.

Scuba,

What is practical difference between the 90 degree and the 20 degree scoops?

Scuba,

LOL good question. I have both the 920 and the 990. For some reason I enjoy the 990 better than the 920. However, I only have the travel handle for the 920 and will be taking that to Cancun.

I think I am not the right person to answer that because I have only used the 920 a few times. I think it is user preference.

Last edited:
LOL good question. I have both the 920 and the 990. For some reason I enjoy the 990 better than the 920. However, I only have the travel handle for the 929 and will be taking that to Cancun.

I think I am not the right person to answer that because I have only used the 920 a few times. I think it is user preference.

Thanks. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of these scoops. It's hard to decide on my degree preference without ever even using one. Haha.

In the ocean, I would prefer a bigger scoop like my 720 or even the 920. If I was doing a pond or a stream I think I would want something smaller. I cant really answer this on experience other than I picture rocks, boulders and the need to work tighter spaces in streams and ponds.

My first real water scoop was 90º and I used that for a few years before I sold it and went to my current water scoop which was the Stealth 720 and the 20º. The main difference is on the 90º scoop I was tilting it further forward and using less of my foot initially to press down on the scooping action. The 20º allows you to use your much stronger legs to help you scoop. I definitely prefer it.

Make a cardboard mockup of a scoop and vary the angle to see what you prefer. This is a very personal decision and the only right answer is what you like. Nothing beats hands on for knowing you preference.

I have a 90 Stealth; wish it was a 20.

LOL good question. I have both the 920 and the 990. For some reason I enjoy the 990 better than the 920. However, I only have the travel handle for the 929 and will be taking that to Cancun.

In the ocean, I would prefer a bigger scoop like my 720 or even the 920. If I was doing a pond or a stream I think I would want something smaller. I cant really answer this on experience other than I picture rocks, boulders and the need to work tighter spaces in streams and ponds.

My first real water scoop was 90º and I used that for a few years before I sold it and went to my current water scoop which was the Stealth 720 and the 20º. The main difference is on the 90º scoop I was tilting it further forward and using less of my foot initially to press down on the scooping action. The 20º allows you to use your much stronger legs to help you scoop. I definitely prefer it.

I have the stealth 720 and love it. no regrets. I will be buying the same for my son soon

I'm leaning towards the 720i. Is the carbon fiber handle worth the extra cost?

I'm leaning towards the 720i. Is the carbon fiber handle worth the extra cost?

My opinion, if your old and gray, and do not hunt in the water. I would say yes, Carbon fiber is the way to go.

If you hunt mostly in the water and old and gray, fiber glass works just fine and the cost is...much better. I have 3 from 2011 and they cost me around 15.oo, and still going strong, with several thousand hours between them. They have been thru a few scoops but seems they have met there match, the 720.

Something you will have to learn somewhat on your own. Me I hate 90 degree scoops. Hole size is a preference to where you hunt. Handles I got wood, carbon fiber and aluminum. Aluminum can leave your hands a mess and sinks like a rock. Cheap scoops use cheap stainless. In other words if you don't get a 304 stainless you may need to prepare to see a rusty scoop.

My opinion, if your old and gray, and do not hunt in the water. I would say yes, Carbon fiber is the way to go.

If you hunt mostly in the water and old and gray, fiber glass works just fine and the cost is...much better. I have 3 from 2011 and they cost me around 15.oo, and still going strong, with several thousand hours between them. They have been thru a few scoops but seems they have met there match, the 720.

Good advice, and if you put a 18" wood dowel in the fiberglass handle it'll last even longer.

Definately a Stealth scoop! Still love mine even after 5-years old. I've also owned 10 different scoops. Stealth is still my first recommendation.

As far as the handle, CF is usually lighter and easier to carry your scoop on dry land. In the water, everything kinda floats along and weight (to me) isn't that much of an issue.

While Chuck makes some great scoops and they are built well they seem to be bigger and heavier then I like (well at least the ones I have seen and held in person). I Prefer the size and weight of a Stavr Scoop and they are built like a tank! I am 260 lbs and hunt a clay bottomed lake and it has not bent or deformed in any way. I have also hunted a big rocky river and it does excellent there too. Ruslan makes some AWESOME scoops. I researched and watched a ton of videos on scoops and when some of the oldest beach hunters keep going back to Stavr there is something to be said about that.

I agree that the Starv scoops are really great scoops, but they do wear as seen in the photo of my Starv scoop. The point is totally worn away from use at clay beaches.

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 334
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 323
if the MD coil is 10-11 " - then 8" scoop is just right.
if there is a dry sand hunt, then the scoop weight is up to 2.6 pounds

Back
Top Bottom