ENDED Guess the Coin Contest - 1920 house, and no significant finds yet; CONTEST Ends Aug 28 @ 12PM

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
Ok, My house was built in 1920, and has been vacant a good part of it's recent history, I just bought this house(fixer upper) this past February, only just sold my Ace250 and bought a fisher F5 stock coil a little less than 30 days ago. I've been using my yard as a mystery test bed to learn my new MD, the yard is iron and nail infested, and the only finds so far are a couple maybe 15-30 yr old toy cars and clad from the 70's. So there is coins to be found, these were found at approx 2-5" deep, THERE MUST BE IH's, MERCURY's AND OTHER ASSORTED OLDER COINS HERE.
It's now my mission to make my yard look like 10 generations of gophers moved in (hurry-call Bill Murray) I've ordered a larger DD coil that will be here Mon or Tue as well, but think the stock coil should find something as well.
This now has become my personal challenge, and I'm going to spend some time every day till I figure this place out.

Since Felix's contest is over (I won hahaha)(bragging rights) is anyone interested in me starting a new contest where anyone can guess what significant coin----must be older than a wheat,rosie,war nickel,W-qtr, etc not just a 64 silver even though a good find, you can guess what coin will be the first I find, give year as many may say the same coin and closest would win, going till end of August? I even have an ok prize for the winner. Let me know if you think this would be a cool contest, if dumb-SAY SO, won't hurt my feelings, I'd rather not do it if no interest. Contest would start as soon as enough interest says yes in this thread.

Prize = New/used Garrett head phones, was going to sell them here cheap, but I have to be a member for at least 6mos to sell anything, so I'll give them away. Nothing expensive, came with my Ace250, sold the Ace, still have the headphones, 1/4 jack, scuffed a tiny bit from being in bag, but NEVER USED.
Let me know

picture.php

Oh, and my town(small) was founded in 1790

Cool contest, we can only guess 1 coin right?

right one coin with year....lets get a few more interested yeah votes and start tomorrow if enough interest by end of day.

Since I won the last contest, I think every winner has the obligation to start a new one, maybe not obligation, but would be nice

OK Coin, What counts first, Denomination or year?

I.E you find a quarter, are all the penny, nickel, dime, half, etc. Guesses void?

Say you pick a 42, guesses are a 41 & 43, which is closer?

Just trying to mess you up.....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Not really, clarifying so there's no misunderstandings later.

Dave

I.E you find a quarter, are all the penny, nickel, dime, half, etc. Guesses void?

Dave

contest sounds good !

.......which is closer ? I guess he could flip the coin heads/tails to decide :laughing:

Dave

coin counts first, then with multiple correct coin guesses, then the closest year, if as you say, one was a year under one was a year over, we'll have a tie breaker if that happens, I'm sure I'll find more than one coin when hunting....I hope, the second coin will be revealed and each tying contestant will have to pm me their guess on the year of that coin, closest wins, doubt you'll do it twice in a row unless you pull shenanigans, that stops me from snapping them in half and sending 2 of you a half, We'll go ahead and start the contest tomorrow morning, I'll start the new thread approx 9am est. in the coin and relic unless not the right forum, I'll continuously reveal all the !!!! and clad found in the thread to show progress until the contest coin is found.

If you want this thread I can move it for you to the Contest Sub Forum.

Do you have a set end date and time?

Post immediately to subforum, will run till Aug 28th 12pm

Rules and such....

My house was built in 1920, in the town of Salem WV. founded in 1790. I've only just bought this house in February, and bought a new F5 in the beginning of July, this is what I'll be hunting with, using various coils.
Contest is simple, I do all the work, you just guess, I'm looking for my first coin of what I will consider significant.
coin can/cannot be;

No Lincoln or wheat Penny
No nickels newer than 1938
no dimes newer than 1916 No mercs or rosies
no quarters newer than 1930
no halves newer than 1947
no dollars newer than 1935

can be other types of US coins only
Must be US coin, no British or other foreign
no tokens, no paper money

Guess your coin of choice, second guess year of coin, no two like guesses allowed, I'll let you know if a duplicate guess is made should you not see it. First determination is coin denomination, second is year, if a tie is incurred, a tie breaker will be a second coin, not necessarily to be dug, will be shown, the tying contestants must guess the year, closest breaks the tie. Tie breaker will be by pm and post afterwards for all to see.
Dug coin will photographed and shown in hole.

Contest will run till the end of august or until a winner is had, which ever is the shorter. In the event of no winning guess or I don't find one, I'll hang myself with my headphones cord,.....I'll find something!
No changing your guess, once entered I'll record it.

Guesses will be accepted by members until contest end.

prize;
picture.php

Prize will be one pair of new Garrett headphones that came with an Ace250 but were never used, I'll even pay postage.

And so it begins....I'm digging, probably dig to the earths core before finding anything note worthy, just dug, a few pennies, marble(my third here), steel button, rivets are the worse, everyone shows a dime or quarter, tiny little basta%%%!, I actually thought the square tab was cool, someone lost a GM key.
I'll dig some every day...caveat...when the wife's gone to work lol

picture.php

Need more guesses, or maybe no one wants to play, maybe this weekend they'll see the post, dug some this morning, coffee in one hand detector in other.

Another toy car...piece, copper/zinc and crapola, I'm going to have the cleanest yard when I'm finished.
picture.php

But guess what came in the mail today, CORS DD 8.5x12.5, ordered on the 28th got here today...FAST!
well packaged
picture.php

came with mounting hardware, extra Velcro tie down
picture.php

big difference from stock coil
picture.php

let's see how well it works in a trashy environment
picture.php

a few minutes with the new coil, thought I had something there for a minute, but stupid rivet heads keep ringing up as dime/quarter even 5" deep. Man, this is one penny picking yard... Coil does ok in trashy area, if real trashy, starts to sound like a popcorn machine, took me about 5 minutes to figure out pinpointing with the larger coil, after digging a few larger plugs, got it back down to a small plug, headphones with these larger coils is a must if you use disc.
picture.php

vdi numbers didn't really change at all with different coil, so machine is pretty consistent.
Definitely better sweep coverage, a little heavier than stock coil, but not uncomfortable.
Can't wait to get this out in some not so trashy areas.

And the quest continues...More tomorrow

C'mon Coin, or is it P/T Pirate now....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

You can do better, did you get a place that was already hunted out??

I have to take my detector out for a walk every now & then. If I don't, it starts leaving little piles of pull tabs all over the house!!

Back
Top Bottom