Garrett AT Max settings

Redlandsyork

I'm having a little trouble going from the BH Tracker IV to the AT Max. What would be a good setting to look for coins getting the maximum range possible?

I'm pretty new to the max about 3 months in I use the coin mode it hits any coin I have found really well I have found 3 pieces of silver jewelry and it hits them nice too nice and crisp 81

I'd like to see some one with experience with the max on gold rings just wondering what the gold hits at

Hello, I started with the bht iv and im 4 months in with the AT Max... So, for "max range" I assume you mean Max Depth. The best depth is achieved with 0 discrimination. Meaning leave your iron disc # at 0 and leave all of your notch discrim slots on. That gives you maximum depth. But If you hunt like this the different sounds (in trashy areas)can drive you mad. So starting out Its good to use some discrim. So for the At Max I hunt in Zero Mode. Its the same tones as coin mode. I hunt two ways. Fast or slow. Fast hunts im going for ANY coin. Setup - Iron discrim # set at 35. Notch discrim 51 and 70-99 only. 51 is nickels. 70-99 pennies and higher nominations (Remove all the other notches unless it falls in those numbers) <<< Those settings will get me coins up to at least 8" depths in my dirt.. I have some number of hunts under the belt of the Max now so I've been opening up the 60s and 50s notches more and more.<<< THOSE ARE GOLD RANGES
If the ground is clean run 0 discrim in Iron and Notch. Everything wide open max sensitivity will be best for depth.
Now for a slow hunt. Its basically the same just with less discrim. It really depends on how trashy the area I'm hunting is. Trashy or not I have been Opening up notches. So for slow hunt Settings- Zero Mode- Iron discrim # 35 - Notch discrim 51(nickel) - 99 (who knows) on..... If its a clean area then all the notches come back on and I drop that disc # from 35 to as low as I can stand.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some one with experience with the max on gold rings just wondering what the gold hits at

I air tested it against a 2.5 gram .999 pamp suisse bar and it rung in at 64... Practically dead on with pulltabs.... Rings/shapes/sizes/pureness/depth may alter that number.

***Update if I remember correctly a 1 gram .999 bar rung as 66

I originaly had 54 and 56 which was incorrect. Its 60s range

Last edited:

Thought of your post reading these
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261102
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=259509

I remembered we was talking about vdi numbers on gold. From what I gather with the max it can range at proven 30s up to 60s. This all depends on depth. When it starts to get deep you begin to get the iron grunt if you hunt in zero mode or custom or coins with no discrim. Obviously all metal only has the one tone so iron testing I dont think will help in this mode. Starting out stick with anything reading solid #s

Max depth

I'm having a little trouble going from the BH Tracker IV to the AT Max. What would be a good setting to look for coins getting the maximum range possible?

If you mean max depth, use all metal mode. Learn what numbers represent what coins.
Flip between modes when trying to guess the target.
I use zero mode then switch to all metal to get a better look.

Good luck, HH

Back
Top Bottom