Bottles hanging on branches

TheCoilist

Elite Member
So, I was on a friends property last weekend and I just came across the bottles I found. These old bottles were found upside down on some tree branches. I will get a picture of them and post them in a little bit. Small brown bottles and they were about a mile apart from each other. He has 25 acres of land. There used to be slaves in the area and there is even an old slave cemetery in front of his property.

I was wondering if there was a meaning for bottles to be on tree branches. I know some say plows point the way to treasure and there are codes inscribed on trees and such. I was wondering if such old bottles (old cork medicine bottles) in trees was some sort of way to indicate direction back in the day? I only found two but I am sure there are more. They are quite hard to see/find as they are brown and it was heavily wooded.

I seen these a couple of times in the deep south. Not sure what their doin there.

Well after researching apparently slaves in Texas and Louisiana and other states (I am in GULF COAST, TX) used to put bottles in trees to capture "evil spirits". They call them voodoo bottle trees or something of that nature. Pretty cool, I guess it fits.

i have heard of these also. i have heard it called a good luck tree or a wish tree. make a wish, speak it into a bottle and then stick it on the tree. mostly a deep south kinda thing.

Growing up next to Beardsley Park, as teens 25-30 years ago, we would climb up a tree as far as possible, hang out and drink our whatever, snap off a branch, and plant the bottles upside down. Sometimes climbing down was difficult:lol:...Ah, youthful stupidity...Some of those bottles are still visible in wintertime.

We use to put them up in the neighbor's tree, so when we got a strong wind, they'd make ghost sounds. And, of course they'd eventually fall and break...

Good! I'm glad to see that they have good purposes too. I didn't want any more spirits coming home with me bc I grabbed the bottles. We already have what the state calls a "stigmatized" house and the realtor (we are selling) doesn't like being there.

Ever see the Blair Witch Project??? They had little figures made out of twiggs hanging from branches, the witches in Texas just hang bottles with souls inside...Rumor is if you remove them the souls are free to haunt the person finding them..... Or it could just be a little kid target practicing:D

Not sure a little kid went trespassing to shoot at antique bottles hanging in a tree. There are no structures on this property that we can see, but it's heavily wooded and his family owned the property since before the 70's. My friend inherited it when his father died. He has never explored the innards of the land. just the outskirts. We were looking for clearings or structures. Found some clearings but no structures yet. The bottles were on trees far apart from each other near clearings. No metal found in the area with the detectors.

I put horse shoes, long saws,horse tack rings, axe heads, car mirrors, animal bones etc etc etc that I find detecting in trees all the time. HAhaha it's kinda fun, and I am sure there have been times when people were like "How did that get in the tree?" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom