• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Charging my Nox in the field.

Dan B.

Elite Member
Today while I was detecting I realized I had not charged my machine. I worked with only one bar showing for about an hour and then decided to go home and get my external battery that I use for my cell phone. I attached it to the upper part of the shaft with some electrical tape and ran the charging wire to the machine. Pretty cool it worked out well. Has anybody else had to do this before?

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_230149.jpg
    IMG_20190609_230149.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 557
Yep. Had an unplanned hunt and brought a portable charger. As I understand it, you were running directly off the external battery and not charging the internal battery. You can't do both at the same time. If the power pack is attached and the detector is off, then you're charging. If the detector is on, you're running off the external source.

(Edited for correction: While you do run off the external battery when it's connected, if it supplies sufficient power it can also provide a charge to the internal battery.)

Last edited:
Yep. Had an unplanned hunt and brought a portable charger. As I understand it, you were running directly off the external battery and not charging the internal battery. You can't do both at the same time. If the power pack is attached and the detector is off, then you're charging. If the detector is on, you're running off the external source.

Incorrect.
If Equinox is hooked to a power pack and power is ample from pack. Equinox will infact operate on external,power source as well as charge internal battery simultaneously.

Here are a couple pics.
Remember these are pics. Note battery meter in pics. It is showing charging while Nox in pic is actually connected to external power pack.
I took 2 pics so depending battery meter will show different as it scrolls when unit is charging.

Now if external pack doesn’t provide enough power to both charge and run EQX yet enough power is available to run EQX p, then no internal battery won’t be charged yet a user can still use detector. Granted enough power has to exist to run unit from pack.

Additional comment here.
I don’t know the answer. Yet
But I have never seen anyone ask about the headphone module and headphones. Can they be operated with pack and be used and will they charge their internls batteries like detector can???
I may experiment a bit and see.
There is a charging light on module and headphones. So I might be able to see something.

Having a pack similar to one shown in pics is a grand idea.
All Eqx components can be charged as long as one has proper charging cables.
Can be charged on the road or in the field.
Auto power with correct USB adapter can be used too in the field or on the road.
Cost for packs like 6,000 -10,000 mah is around $20 at Wally World . Can be bought other places online too.
Remember both headphone module and wireless headphones have no meter aboard to gauge charge level before use. ( if disconnected from power source).

Attachments

• 3C159A19-14A2-47A0-B6A4-FC26668511BB.jpg
    3C159A19-14A2-47A0-B6A4-FC26668511BB.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 542
  • 31B837C0-258B-400C-99D1-A2CD82E42F7E.jpg
    31B837C0-258B-400C-99D1-A2CD82E42F7E.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Incorrect.
If Equinox is hooked to a power pack and power is ample from pack. Equinox will infact operate on external,power source as well as charge internal battery simultaneously.

Interesting. I thought I read that it couldn't do both simultaneously on another forum. Maybe what they were saying is that the detector runs directly off the external pack as long as one is connected and has power, and not indirectly through the internal battery. As a result, even with a dead internal battery it will power up right away.

It would be interesting to start with a dead internal battery, hook up an external pack, detect for a couple of hours, and disconnect the pack to see how much "extra" power actually made it to the internal battery for charging.

Folks will see above where I comment on battery level of wireless headphones are unavailable. This is true except..... see this link here. Now when wireless headphones and headphone module are infact connected to ample power supply user will get notification of full charge of internal batteries. But a partially charge battery in either a user won’t know the level without it seems correctly paired certain cell phones.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...-phone-to-check-ml80-headphone-battery-level/

Interesting. I thought I read that it couldn't do both simultaneously on another forum. Maybe what they were saying is that the detector runs directly off the external pack as long as one is connected and has power, and not indirectly through the internal battery. As a result, even with a dead internal battery it will power up right away.

It would be interesting to start with a dead internal battery, hook up an external pack, detect for a couple of hours, and disconnect the pack to see how much "extra" power actually made it to the internal battery for charging.

If you are wondering if EQX internal battery will charge as fast when unit is in actual use when connected to external pack. The answer is No. Now the level of charge the internal battery possesses will drive this answer somewhat. It could be a yes to the question if battery is near fully charged. If internal battery is really depleted then NO. The charge level of internal battery will dictate how much current is being utilized for charging operations. And this current being demanded not available as unit is turned on. As battery charge level increases less and less current is demanded and used.

Last edited:

The external battery that I have was purchased at Walmart for about $10. Has two charging ports on it. One of them a slower charge the other one with the ability to charge a tablet which I believe is a faster charge. I can't usually get about a full charge and have some to spare on my cell phone with this battery. There is a bigger charging capacity battery that will give two full charges to a cell phone for just a couple dollars more. Same size battery. Thanks!

Never

Alway's charge mine up before hunting, at full charge usually doesn't drop 1 bar , after hunting 4 hour's , also charging a full charge before hunting, the way it looks with mine , is it will give it MAX life , happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom