Question about my Tesoro Sand Shark

Tatback

Today I noticed quite a bit of “wavy humming” from the shark. When I’m holding it (left handed) I noticed if I rolled the detector, especially counter clock-wise it gives off a loud false. Doesn’t even have to be a fast roll, if it’s rolled either way it raises the sound as if there’s a target under it. Didn’t know if this was normal or a characteristic of the Shark.

My settings are

Mode: Normal
Volume: almost max
Threshold just above a slight hum
Pulse width is around the 2 o’clock

Last edited:
I'm not sure I know what you mean by roll.
IME I get that alot in black sand. Also, if I don't carry my scoop on my left shoulder, I hear a change when swinging left
If you have a coil cover, pop it open. I have one and found alot of black sand in mine.
Sometimes aircraft or cell towers can make the threshold wonky too.

EDIT- Just made a post about the SS. I may have had a loose ribbon.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=257278

Last edited:
Thank you for trying to help, I'll have to have a peek inside mine for any loose wires. I don't have a coil cover yet, going to order one this week.

By roll I mean imagine holding your metal detector like you're swinging it and then use that hand to check the time on your watch...you'd roll your wrist. When I roll mine outside which angles the coil up (I'm leftie so I'm rolling the metal detector counter clockwise in my left hand) it always falses. I noticed this as I was walking the beach and swinging it and following up the cuts in the sand. Also I can't get my threshold to be at a steady hum no matter what I set it to unless I turn the threshold almost all the way up and then back down the volume quite a bit.

I run the Enloop pro rechargeable and always charge them before every trip. I usually keep my cell phone in the car and take off my watch and wedding ring. The coil wire is wound so it doesn't flop around either.

No prob. Mine was doing that too as I swung it in the air to the left.
I took the control box off the pole and shook it. Heard a rattle.
I also shook it with the faceplate off. That's how I found my ribbon wasn't secure behind the dials.
Good luck.

I checked inside mine this morning and noticed the plate is a little loose. It doesn't really flop around when moving the unit but I can easily move the plate with my fingers.

I also noticed the battery pack has some play (let me explain lol) I know the door holds pressure against it while closed but when open I would think it should have no side to side play. I have the rubber pad on the "door" (back of the dials) and I also have the rubber pad to the left of the battery pack and the two above and below. There is no pad to the right of the battery pack. But the battery pack doesn't touch the pad to its left and there is a noticeable gap. Is this the same with everyone else?

I'm not sure if its allowed but here is the link to the youtube video to show the wiggle.

https://youtu.be/IUU6s7l9PfU

PS...thank you Walrus350 for helping me out so much. Us Sand Shark guys need to stick together especially since we're so far apart and not going for the same treasure. :laughing:

Last edited:
***UPDATE***

I decided to power up the Shark with the compartment open and me holding the battery pack with my finger.

Moving the wires didn't change the threshold at all. BUT when I moved my finger slightly and the battery pack moved...bam the same threshold wavering sound I heard all day yesterday.

Is there a way to have the battery pack fit tighter or should I just send it to Tesoro and explain the problem and let them work on it?

Wow. 1st I would give the ribbon connections some slack and snug the bracket down a little.
For the battery pack maybe a piece of cardboard. Nothing permanent that could void your warranty. Or you can bite the bullet and send it in. I'd be curious to know if they do a good job.
I took my machine to the beach today and was falsing on a left swing. It did it for hour 2 of a 3 hour hunt. I'm gonna check my battery pack later.
Good luck.

Last edited:
My battery pack will move too. With the cover on, it's secure.
I also have no pad to the right. There is a gap between the padding and the batteries above and below.
I grabbed the closed control box by the pole mount and shook it. Seems solid.

I would have loved to hear you replicate that threshold noise. Compare notes.

I emailed them and sent the link to the video, we’ll see what they say. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Tesoro so I’m hoping for a good outcome as well. I’m curious to see if your battery shakes also.

tesoro

I had something similar to that happen to my detector. I use a garrett ace 250.
garret infinium ls I thought maybe the settings or the battery one of them is bad. maybe the connection if it has one check for faulty connections I had that also garrett 250. salt water mist fogs seem to effect it period of time. copper and salt dont mix. anyhow the basic stuff or crack in coil or debris loose wire flopping near coil something on shoe coil. maybe a good washing.... the basic stuff you can do.

My battery pack will move too. With the cover on, it's secure.
I also have no pad to the right. There is a gap between the padding and the batteries above and below.
I grabbed the closed control box by the pole mount and shook it. Seems solid.

I would have loved to hear you replicate that threshold noise. Compare notes.

I might be at the beach tomorrow to record the sound but I took a few quick videos in my patio. was a little difficult trying to hold my phone by the ear piece and move around the detector with the other hand. Sorry about all the road noise too. I'm going to upload them now.

I had something similar to that happen to my detector. I use a garrett ace 250.
garret infinium ls I thought maybe the settings or the battery one of them is bad. maybe the connection if it has one check for faulty connections I had that also garrett 250. salt water mist fogs seem to effect it period of time. copper and salt dont mix. anyhow the basic stuff or crack in coil or debris loose wire flopping near coil something on shoe coil. maybe a good washing.... the basic stuff you can do.

Thank you but I usually wash the Shark off at the beach then again at home. If not, it still gets washed every time I'm home. The wires don't flop when its all together and I don't wear shoes while on the beach. I like to go all natural :lol:

I took mine to the beach this morning and had a perfect machine until a wave got my feet and the coil wet. My symptoms came back. Signaling with a left swing.
Spoke with Tesoro tech and he thinks water got into the coil.
I'm shipping it today.
And of course they don't have my warranty info....

I’m not sure if the exact age, I bought it used from Serious Detecting and I’ve had it for about 2 weeks :facepalm:

Send in that warranty card and make copies of your receipt!
I've been digging around Google and found our problem is not rare.
I also have an issue with the faceplate looking misscut near the gasket and noted it in my paperwork. I'm wondering if it'll be replaced.

Edit- Didn't realize yours was used. $50 for them to look at plus repair cost. and shipping.

I'd get a refund from Serious Detecting then.

I’ll be figuring out which direction to go today, after Tesoro calls me back (hopefully)

I’m kind of frustrated with Serious Detecting as well, there’s no way they couldn’t of known.

Send in that warranty card and make copies of your receipt!
I've been digging around Google and found our problem is not rare.
I also have an issue with the faceplate looking misscut near the gasket and noted it in my paperwork. I'm wondering if it'll be replaced.

Edit- Didn't realize yours was used. $50 for them to look at plus repair cost. and shipping.

I'd get a refund from Serious Detecting then.

Vince called me back tonight and said by looking at the videos he believes my coil wire is moving causing the problem. He suggested that I wind the wire up the opposite way and run it straight up a ways then wind it once its away from the coil. I'm going to try that once we get home tonight and then take it out tomorrow morning for a quick run by a beach I don't think is searched very often.

So if it doesn't work tomorrow morning at a small beach by our house I'll be contacting Serious Detecting :no:

Back
Top Bottom