Tesoro factory

I know many people put Tesoro down. All detectors make a beep or some kind of noise to let you know something is down their under the coil. You dig it up and say,,, oh, goody, a coin, or can slaw. Yes, many of old timers with a beep and dig can , most of the time , tell what you are digging. To me, the more bells and whistles you have, the more that can go wrong. For me, they are just fine. I will not put down what you like, just do not put down what I use. I do not mind hunting with club meanders that have high dollar detectors. I can have just as much fun. And still find the good stuff...

I know many people put Tesoro down. All detectors make a beep or some kind of noise to let you know something is down their under the coil. You dig it up and say,,, oh, goody, a coin, or can slaw. Yes, many of old timers with a beep and dig can , most of the time , tell what you are digging. To me, the more bells and whistles you have, the more that can go wrong. For me, they are just fine. I will not put down what you like, just do not put down what I use. I do not mind hunting with club meanders that have high dollar detectors. I can have just as much fun. And still find the good stuff...

I don't put Tesoro down. I have the Tejon and Cibola. Good machines, and I think there is still a place for analog detectors. But, Tesoro didn't evolve its machines to keep up with the competition in terms of the packaging and features. If the company survives or is rejuvenated by a buyer, I hope some effort is put into bringing out a few new models with multi-tones, sleek designs and a few other modern features. Otherwise, people who want analog machines are going to have to look to Deeptech.

Nobody is going to buy this sinking ship full of ancient technology. You tesora fans are dreaming. The only SLIM chance anyone buys this company is if a new detector manufacturer wants brand name to get their foot into the market and nothing else. That only happens if they get it for pennies and they are not selling the same old tired tech if that happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nobody is going to buy this sinking ship full of ancient technology. You tesora fans are dreaming. The only SLIM chance anyone buys this company is if a new detector manufacturer wants brand name to get their foot into the market and nothing else. That only happens if they get it for pennies and they are not selling the same old tired tech if that happens.

Spoken like a true Minelabber.lol..One thing for sure Ben,,your consistent

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The underlying Tesoro technology is not as "ancient" as some apparently think. VLF technology reached its peak decades ago; that's why some 25-year old machines are just as deep as any modern machine--they use exactly the same "outdated" technology. (Even Minelab's latest multi-Q machines, which I like, are just the latest wrinkle on VLF technology.) Tesoro even did a fairly good job miniaturizing the circuitry at the time, producing light machines. Where it fell short was in failing to continue the process of evolution--squeezing out a few more drops of performance, evolving the packaging, the controls, and the way information is presented, etc.

I happen to like the straightforward analog approach at times (I have both types of detectors), with reliance on knobs and tones, where you don't need to use switches to sort through endless menus and options. But, Tesoro should have firmly embraced multi-tones long ago (rather than just making a few abortive stabs), should have a few models with large, bright TID screens, as well, since that's what the market wants. It should have introduced other modern features like, sleek, waterproof/resistant designs, li-ion batteries, wireless headphones, etc. Mostly "bells and whistles," built on the same underlying "ancient" VLF technology; but, that's what sells.

The Tesoro brand is definitely worth something. The Tesoro technology is, as well, since you could easily modify some of the circuit designs to be the basis for some sleek, modern machines. Of course, most of the basic VLF technology is probably firmly in the public domain by now.

don't cost nuthin' to dream!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The underlying Tesoro technology is not as "ancient" as some apparently think. VLF technology reached its peak decades ago; that's why some 25-year old machines are just as deep as any modern machine--they use exactly the same "outdated" technology. (Even Minelab's latest multi-Q machines, which I like, are just the latest wrinkle on VLF technology.) Tesoro even did a fairly good job miniaturizing the circuitry at the time, producing light machines. Where it fell short was in failing to continue the process of evolution--squeezing out a few more drops of performance, evolving the packaging, the controls, and the way information is presented, etc.

I happen to like the straightforward analog approach at times (I have both types of detectors), with reliance on knobs and tones, where you don't need to use switches to sort through endless menus and options. But, Tesoro should have firmly embraced multi-tones long ago (rather than just making a few abortive stabs), should have a few models with large, bright TID screens, as well, since that's what the market wants. It should have introduced other modern features like, sleek, waterproof/resistant designs, li-ion batteries, wireless headphones, etc. Mostly "bells and whistles," built on the same underlying "ancient" VLF technology; but, that's what sells.

The Tesoro brand is definitely worth something. The Tesoro technology is, as well, since you could easily modify some of the circuit designs to be the basis for some sleek, modern machines. Of course, most of the basic VLF technology is probably firmly in the public domain by now.

analog v.l.f. design is still a viable platform.a man who detects with a single tone detector,and "knows" that detector,and what that detector is telling him,is a formidable adversary afield. multi-tones,v.i.d.screens are NOT needed by the astute tesoro user. the "nuances" of the unit tell him what he needs to know.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Not sure why there are some people who have the need to always feel that their particular detector is superior to what other people use. There are many great units on the market but Tesoro offers a ton of value for the money. Just the other day I dug a merc with my Tejon at 10 inches that I know would have been missed by many much more expensive machines. Hopefully the company will find a way to survive in some form.

analog v.l.f. design is still a viable platform.a man who detects with a single tone detector,and "knows" that detector,and what that detector is telling him,is a formidable adversary afield. multi-tones,v.i.d.screens are NOT needed by the astute tesoro user. the "nuances" of the unit tell him what he needs to know.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Thank you for adding that. I know a lot about what I would like to say. I just don't know how to put some things into words. Maybe I just am not as smart as many of you guys out their. And I don't like to put other company's down.
I still like my old out dated beep and dig detectors. Been using them for over 40 years. And yes, I know my beeps
KEN. .

Tesoro Beeper Finds

I've posted some of my past/current Tesoro Beeper Finds here on the forum in my album appropriately titled "Tesoro Beeper Finds".

When my old Tesoros stop finding these things for me I'll consider trying something else, but so far there's no need.

If you were around and had the opportunity to use various analog machines and note the tone difference between the new technology (digital) you would not have posted what you did. There are reasons why people hang on to older machines......it's because they work so damn good compared to some of the digital equipment.

I would not be surprised one little bit if one of the "big" manufacturers switched back to some analog systems and used it as a way to increase sales. Lots of parallels to the audio on music - Digital vs. vinyl. and metal detectors.

Old stuff

If you were around and had the opportunity to use various analog machines and note the tone difference between the new technology (digital) you would not have posted what you did. There are reasons why people hang on to older machines......it's because they work so damn good compared to some of the digital equipment.

I would not be surprised one little bit if one of the "big" manufacturers switched back to some analog systems and used it as a way to increase sales. Lots of parallels to the audio on music - Digital vs. vinyl. and metal detectors.

Amen John, well said. I'm often bewildered and confused by the comments and attitudes of some folks regarding analog detectors and Tesoro in particular.

Then your comment hit me like a ton of bricks when you said "if you were around"...causing me to realize that a substantial number of people that post today are too young to have used or know anything about analog detectors, their history, capabilities, or actual contribution to this hobby.

Yep, I'm slow but now it makes sense. Time to hunt more and post less;)

Last edited:
I disagree that Tesoro should have gone down the path of (almost) all the other companies by adding digital screens, waterproofing, internal batteries etc. That market is saturated with lots of choices. Tesoro provided the best discrimination circuitry in the business, IMHO. All they needed to do was take a machine like the Tejon and give it tones like the Golden uMax. People still love that detector. I had one a few years ago, and it was a fun machine, just not very deep. Take those tones and add them to the H.O.T. machines and they would need a second shift to keep up with demand. The other thing they should have done, like it or not, is have a presence on social media. There is no escaping the fact that social media is crucial for success in the 21st century.

Thank you for adding that. I know a lot about what I would like to say. I just don't know how to put some things into words. Maybe I just am not as smart as many of you guys out their. And I don't like to put other company's down.
I still like my old out dated beep and dig detectors. Been using them for over 40 years. And yes, I know my beeps
KEN. .

i'll bet you can walk right behind an equinox user,and find stuff he has missed!
quite possibly it has already been done.what you pay for your tesoro?.$250.00
or so?..you just saved $650.00,so now you can put that difference towards your next hop to the philippines!.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I disagree that Tesoro should have gone down the path of (almost) all the other companies by adding digital screens, waterproofing, internal batteries etc. That market is saturated with lots of choices. Tesoro provided the best discrimination circuitry in the business, IMHO. All they needed to do was take a machine like the Tejon and give it tones like the Golden uMax. People still love that detector. I had one a few years ago, and it was a fun machine, just not very deep. Take those tones and add them to the H.O.T. machines and they would need a second shift to keep up with demand. The other thing they should have done, like it or not, is have a presence on social media. There is no escaping the fact that social media is crucial for success in the 21st century.

and still do! the tesoro "speaks" to you,and if you are listening,you can "isolate" targets effectively.i do agree in principal with the multi-tone approach,however,
if you take the time,and be patient,a tesoro tells you everything about your "hits"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

i'll bet you can walk right behind an equinox user,and find stuff he has missed!
quite possibly it has already been done.what you pay for your tesoro?.$250.00
or so?..you just saved $650.00,so now you can put that difference towards your next hop to the philippines!.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Thank you for that comment.
My average a year is around $300.00 in clad. At the end of the year, right before we leave to the Philippines, I cash in my gold rings I have found. I call it my mad money .. I hunt with a few people that have detectors that cost 4 times or more than mine. They want to know how I end up with so many rings and chains. They know I use Tesoro detectors. I still have my original Amego when they come out with them. Once you learn something, why change.. I like these new comers, They have a high dollar, computerized detector and play with all the buttons all day. Than they think they know their detector. It still smells like the box it came in. My old detectors smell like my arm pit. The ones I use most all the time look like they been around since the caveman.. And they keep on running. None of them has ever been sent in to the repair shop. So, I think I will keep on using them.. KEN :D

and still do! the tesoro "speaks" to you,and if you are listening,you can "isolate" targets effectively.i do agree in principal with the multi-tone approach,however,
if you take the time,and be patient,a tesoro tells you everything about your "hits"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Very well said.

I do wish they could have out in a 2 tone in most of their detectors, but it is what it is.. KEN :D

Thank you for that comment.
My average a year is around $300.00 in clad. At the end of the year, right before we leave to the Philippines, I cash in my gold rings I have found. I call it my mad money .. I hunt with a few people that have detectors that cost 4 times or more than mine. They want to know how I end up with so many rings and chains. They know I use Tesoro detectors. I still have my original Amego when they come out with them. Once you learn something, why change.. I like these new comers, They have a high dollar, computerized detector and play with all the buttons all day. Than they think they know their detector. It still smells like the box it came in. My old detectors smell like my arm pit. The ones I use most all the time look like they been around since the caveman.. And they keep on running. None of them has ever been sent in to the repair shop. So, I think I will keep on using them.. KEN :D

and keep on finding' good stuff!..you can get a "private yard" permission,go in with a "tesoro" "compadre" ($160.00) and "clean it out!" what do you need a equinox 800 for? ($900.00).

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom