Down in flames

BLK HOLE

Well I finally got the gumption up to go ask for a permission for this 1900 house that I have been dreaming about detecting since I started detecting a few months ago. This was actually my first attempt at asking for a permission and while the owner told me no it wasn't as bad as I thought, reason given is that they had let others detect in the past and they left the yard trashed with holes everywhere. Well in hindsight I could have regaled here with evidence of my integrity, character and boy scout upbringing, but at that moment all I could say was "I'm sorry that others have ruined it for those of us who follow the rules". Lesson learned for me, be better prepared to respond to the first rebuff, ALWAYS fill my holes, and door knocking isn't really all that bad, I mean they can't eat you and they can't take away your birthday, they can only say no.

HH

That's the best attitude to have, and really the only one to have. It was good you apologized for those who were there before you and it's a shame some one has to be apologetic for others in the hobby.

Something you might consider is offering the chance to watch you recover a target, and explain what/why you're doing what you're doing, but if they aren't receptive to it, then thank them and be on your way (like you did).

Keep your positive attitude, and it will pay-off in the long-run.

Good luck!

Thanks! Yea I have thought of a lot of things I should have said or could have said, I had a feeling that she was wavering a bit had I been more prepared I might have changed her mind, oh well, lesson learned

I think you did just fine with your response. My first rejection was very similar to yours: a late 1800's house was being remodeled, and I happened to catch the owner while he was finishing up cutting the lawn. He turned me down the same way - he said he let another guy detect the yard in the past, "and he left open divots all over the place". I did the same as you; I didn't press any further. I just apologized for someone else's bad technique, explained that a responsible detectorist would never leave a yard that way, chatted a bit about the renovations he was doing, then thanked him for his time and left. On the way home, I started to second guess myself, thinking I should have been better prepared to counter such a common rationale for a "no". In the end, though, I realized I was probably better off. Did I really want to press and risk annoying the guy, just for the chance to hunt a property that I now know has already been hunted? Everyone is different, but for me, a "no" means "no", anyway. In my view, there's a subtle but important difference between an owner expressing concern or doubt about allowing me to detect, and one giving an outright no. The former might be worth trying to persuade, the latter almost certainly isn't.

I had a lady walk up to me while hunting a new permission...she asked me if I was the one who just bought this property. I told her no, but I have permission from the person who had. My next comment was ....I'm happy to see that you are looking out for your neighbors..."hey, by the way, do you mind if I metal detect your front yard?"....she told me I could.....smiles.

HDD

Back
Top Bottom