• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cool story behind Vietnam find

westside_benny

Not coolest relic but very cool story

So, what I found here is neither rare nor of particular value. The backstory is kind of neat though, at least IMHO.

Last summer my boys and I hit the backyard pretty hard. Among many things we turned up this Vietnam era service medal. Kind of neat, wonder who dropped that kind of deal. Cleaned it up and put it in the goody box.

Fast forward a few months. I transfer to a new unit and at some point the readiness NCO is reviewing my file, of all things he notices he actually grew up in the home we now live in! I ask him if his dad, or other relatives, had been in the service during Viet Nam...say's "yes, dad was in the Navy" (which would have been one of the branches to receive this award). I say, "I think I have something you might have lost while playing Army in the old backyard. Why not ask your dad if he recognizes this, maybe be fun to give it back."

So he takes a picture, shows it to his father over the Holidays and turns out it was his. I had already offered its return and he politely asked if the offer still stood...told him it did if he also took all of his old matchbox cars that have turned my yard to Swiss Cheese. Hell of an ice breaker for the new guy.

DSC01086_zpsed6sbane.jpg

Love the stories of our finds and how they turn out! Speaking as a Viet Nam Era Vet...Thank You!!

The really amazing part is not the find but HOW all the pieces ended up getting put together. Had I gone to any other unit his son (who lived in my house as a boy) would never had seen my personnel file, and none of this would have happened. It's really more of a 'its a small world story', over a great find story...makes it seem like some treasures must want to be found.

The really amazing part is not the find but HOW all the pieces ended up getting put together. Had I gone to any other unit his son (who lived in my house as a boy) would never had seen my personnel file, and none of this would have happened. It's really more of a 'its a small world story', over a great find story...makes it seem like some treasures must want to be found.

I agree with that...some treasures were meant to be found and returned...You did a Good one there Buddy!
Mud

Truly amazing set of circumstances worked together for that return as detectorists don't grow on trees or live on every block. The power above may have guided this along. As a Viet Nam vet myself thanks for sharing this story.

macro racer 2, Whites mx5, trx pinpointer

Back
Top Bottom