• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

legal vs illegal places to search?

P

parashont

Hi, I'm new to MD'ing, and was curious to learn what places might be off-limits when it comes to searching. Obviously you'd need owner permission to search on private property, but what about public lands? I live in Arizona and most of the state is state or federally owned. Much thanks!

In France i do not need a licence but i have to declare any important finds and also get landowners permission even though the hunters (animal) are allowed where ever they like

The motto in france is if there is no fence you are allowed to walk and hunt on it

Apart from if there are signs saying private property etc....

Check on your local laws first. If there are not any NO TRESPASSING signs or any NO METAL DETECTING signs and you're sure it is public land then you're probably OK. See if there is a club in your area and try to join if you can. They will surely be able to help you out.

When on public lands (BLM or National Forest), you need to be very careful. Some places are ok, some are not. You should check with your local BLM or Ranger District first. Many people have been arrested and/or fined for metal detecting on public lands.

Legal or illegle

Just a reminder to all,always obay the local laws,get the landowners permission.
Too many places i have searched in the past with permission are now off limits to detectorists.
Because of the few we are being marked as vandals,and even thieves.learn to dig up a find with the least damage to the ground,never leave an open hole.
Pick up trash in the vicinity as that shows that you care.
answer questions,as that may lead to oppertunities to hunt.
And ask questions as many an old timer will be happy to reminisce about the old swimming hole ,or the miser that everyone was terrified of that supposedly had a fortune in gold stashed away.If you find a personalized article like a class ring try to locate the owner and don,t expect a reward.such Chivalrous deeds make the newspapers and may lead to persons who would hire you to find something they lost.
Don,t argue with someone who thinks they own the sidewalk,at best you lose valuable time explaining yourself to the local police.
I know those last two are hard to heed.But after all its the adventure that counts.Thanks,and H.H

Very true Monte. The ones in our hobby that have no respect for others property, and rules do nothing but bring the rest of us down. All we can do is abide by the rules, ask permission when needed, and be as nice as we can be to the people we come into contact with. Its those things that will bring this hobby back to something other than being called vandals, and grave diggers.

As everyone has stated, laws vary from state to state. Here in my area (Long Island), I need a permit ($20) to hunt certain state parks. The county parks allow MD'ing as well as the local playground. I haven't tried any of the school yards since they are fenced in. In NYC, you also need a permit (free) but that's only for certain designate parks, the rest are off limits. I can tell you that National Parks are definitely off limits. In Gettysburg for instance, if they even find a MD in you car dimantled and without batteries, you'll get arrested, fined and they'll take your MD.

You should really private email Steve in Az over on the Findmall CMD forum or Lucky Dans. He's a very experience MD'r and has done some incredibly varied hunts with much success. He'll be able to help you out on where you can and can't hunt. Tell him Joe G sent you :)

to find out if land is private or public go to the town hall or maybe even the libray and ask to see the town records of who owns what. in my experiences i have come on a prime peace of land where all the local kids swim and toss beer cans and trash all overfor about 100 years or so. at this sight i yeilded my first merc and gold ring . i was approach by and older man asking me what i was up to and so i told him he was very nice at first even after he told me he was the land owner . i asked if he would mind if i stayed awhile and he said not a problem. the following week end under the impression it was ok to be there i went back. he showed his mean face this time asking me what i had found so again i told him "the ring and the merc" he was so mad he asked me to leave and said he would call the cops and have me arested for stealing. now the property is not marked private or no tresspassing but i learned a lesson always ask again even i you have asked in the past. nothing ever came of it and he asked me for some help finding a marker. so in short always ask again just to be sure the bugguy

Bugguy has a good point. I have had permission to hunt a spot but waited a while to get to it. During that time the owner decided not to let me hunt and I lost that place. I think if you get permission go ahead and hunt it so the owner can see what you're doing and will have a good impression of you and what you do. If you wait the owner will start thinking of all kinds of bad things coming out of this. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom