Coyotes or Foxes ? - recent videos from trail camera

Bobcats are my favorite thing to hunt. I have a 30 pounder I called in and had mounted. The biggest coyote I ever killed just weighted 35 pounds so you can imagine a 30 pound bobcat. I skinned everything. Coyotes included if the fur was good. I never sold them but had some tanned and gave away for others to have tanned.

I have loads of big buck photos and even have some good bucks on video from my hunting spots. Along with coyotes, bobcat, and fox. No Sasquatch or panthers yet!

I fed many deer last winter. I live on the edge of town in the city limits. I had a buck attack my archery buck target three different times. The last time he damaged and I still haven't tried to fix it yet. I put the corn in a concrete bird bath. The coons could not climb over into it. There would be 7-8 deer crowded around it at a time. They were cleaning up 20 pounds a night easy and could have ate 50 pounds a night, but I couldn't afford that. Bucks seldom showed up for some reason. I would leave the outside floodlights on and watch them through the window blinds only like 10 yards away.

We've seen as many as about 10-11 deer coming thru our yard at one time, though usually it's more like 3-5 or so at a time.

They seem to enjoy munching on the lawn, even when it's mowed short, and they don't look like they're going hungry :lol:

Bobcats are my favorite thing to hunt. I have a 30 pounder I called in and had mounted. The biggest coyote I ever killed just weighted 35 pounds so you can imagine a 30 pound bobcat. I skinned everything. Coyotes included if the fur was good. I never sold them but had some tanned and gave away for others to have tanned.

I have loads of big buck photos and even have some good bucks on video from my hunting spots. Along with coyotes, bobcat, and fox. No Sasquatch or panthers yet!

So far I have not actually seen a bobcat in our area, but one time many years ago I believe I heard what might had been one from somewhere back in the woods, sounded like a baby crying, it was at night, I heard that is the kind of sound they might sometimes make, haven't heard it again since then.

Okay, checked the trail camera this morning, 31 clips covering 3 days, with the exception of one clip, the rest were of deer, me mowing, and when I open the camera to get the SD card out.

Here is that one, from 4:47 AM this morning, looks like a coyote to me
12guz2L.gif

NOTE: I hope to have better clips the next time I check, I have a new upgraded (G500) model trail camera the Wosports company sent to me for free that I am mounting outside today. I had explained to them that the old camera was pretty good overall with the only exception being that sometimes the camera didn't start recording right away, sometimes until the animal was near the middle of the viewing area, they said that was likely due to the trigger speed, I thought maybe they might know a way to adjust the trigger speed, but instead they offered to send me an upgraded more advanced model for free, that is the kind of customer service I appreciate ! (they said to keep the old one too !)

I'll put the new upgraded camera in the same spot the old one is now as I know that is a fairly good area for animals to walk thru, then I'll use the old camera (LY-121 G100 model) like a moveable camera setting it up in different areas of our property to see what other areas the animals might walk thru at night.

Well, I did get some clips and still photos off the new G500 camera today, as well as off the old G100 camera.

It seems the video with the G500 has a delay in starting also, but since I am not a trail camera expert I did a search online and found this: "Trigger-time is likely to be slower when recording video as it takes longer for the camera to ‘wake up’ video recording systems than those used for still images." (end quote) so even with a fast trigger speed it still takes time to "wake up" the video recording system.

I really can't complain though, Wosports sent the G500 to me for free (right now the G500 is listed for $39.99 on Amazon, the G100 is listed for $35.99) so they are not very expensive as far as trail cameras go. (the G500 does have a higher resolution available though)

Maybe the real expensive trail cameras might do better, but when you are a casual user simply catching images on your own property you can be okay with the more economical models :lol: (though it would be nice to have the video recording start sooner)

The G500 does have 3 recording options: video only, still photos only, or one still photo followed by a video clip.

Anyhow, first the still photos and clips from the G500
(looks like I need to correct the time stamp time when I get a chance)

(with the exception of two clips further below, I was limiting these to coyotes)

08020001.jpg

08040043.jpg

08040045.jpg

9dNVz7W.gif

Aw90xz5.gif

This next one was from the old G100 camera, pointed to a different area.

Had to include this neat rabbit / deer clip, wish the clip recorded a little longer as it would have been interesting to see if the rabbit reacted to the deer approaching :lol:
YYkxd27.gif

(I again moved the old G100 camera to face a different area, I likely will keep moving the G100 to a new spot every so many days to see what areas might have more activity)

EDIT TO ADD: one more unusual clip (from the G500 camera)

Not sure if these are strays or if the dog's owners allow them to roam
(it has been quite a while since I saw an unknown dog come thru our yard)
8bQFq5R.gif

Last edited:
GKL,
In your original post of 7/22/21 of those 4 videos, first 3 are definitely coyotes but the last one is a red fox...I hunt both and that is correct.....Pete

GKL,
In your original post of 7/22/21 of those 4 videos, first 3 are definitely coyotes but the last one is a red fox...I hunt both and that is correct.....Pete

Thanks Pete, appreciate the input !!!!

.....you and others have more experience and knowledge about such critters than I do not having had such visitors in our yard until we moved to this semi-rural location about 16 years ago, we used to have to go to the zoo, now the zoo comes to us :laughing:

It is interesting to see what activity my trail cameras capture at night (and in the daytime) and since we have 1 1/2 acres next to woods I have been repositioning one or both cameras every so often.

I have a few more videos to post soon, hopefully by later today.

Okay, here's some video clips from this past week.

There are others but I "usually" don't include the deer and stray cat videos unless they are somehow unusual or funny/cute. (I get a lot of deer videos on a regular basis, both day and night clips)

this is from where I repositioned a camera on the other side of our property
tbsCKjQ.gif

these next 4 show a view of a different area out back
VBNMaGf.gif

ZenwEMG.gif

PnyzxCh.gif

watch on the right for the glowing eyes :lol:
VH76jDp.gif

Deciding whether to continue this thread "as is" and add new videos, or to simply start a new thread something like "Trail camera videos from our yard" since my original question about "fox or coyote" has been answered and I have a better understanding of how to distinguish between them now.

If I do start a new thread I can add a link to this thread in the first post for those who want to view these past videos.

I'm thinking I will "likely" start a new thread, but would likely be sometime next week when I have a fresh batch of videos to post after allowing my trail cameras several days/nights to get more videos.

I tried this

ffmpeg -i input.avi -filter_complex "fps=10,scale=320:-1:flags=lanczos,split [o1] [o2];[o1] palettegen [p]; [o2] fifo [o3];[o3] [p] paletteuse" output.gif

if it works, here is what the bobcat thought about this salt block

-------------------------------------------

failed, think mine is too big, says mine be less than 195.3 kb mine is 4.43 Mib
------------------------------------------

Last edited:
GPL, are you using ffmpeg to convert to .gif ? what code if so, I'd like to try it

pretty good video's for sure - thanx

Thanks !!!!

Actually I use this free online program:

https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

(after I convert to gif I "right click" on the gif and choose "save image as" to download to my computer)

Then I add the gif to this free site and use it to get the code I paste on the forum to show the gif:

https://imgur.com/

(that enables larger gifs to be used on the forum since the gif itself is not uploaded to the forum)

ezgif has other free to use programs also:

https://ezgif.com/

If you want to make a video shorter before converting to gif here is a free online program:

https://online-video-cutter.com/

Hope that helps !

That bobcat video sounds like it should be neat :lol:

Ha ha I Gary I did a double-take on your last photos!

:laughing:

.....I guess if you glance at the photos first before reading they were sent by Dave as a joke I can understand the double-take :laughing:

(I will be catching up with some more trail cam clips soon, ones I selected from what my trail cams captured over about the past two weeks, I have to resize some of them before posting, I need to reset the resolution back down on one trail cam so the pics are not too large. I will likely start a new thread but will share the link on this thread so people realize a new thread was started, this thread started as a question on IDing foxes and coyotes, that was answered so I will start a thread simply to share trail cam clips occasionally, maybe once or twice a week as I have time)

Note: If anyone still comments on any of the posts in this thread (and they are welcome to do so) which require a reply or which I feel could use a reply I will still reply to this thread, but I was not planning to add any more video clips to this thread as I started a new trail camera thread.

Here is a link to the new trail camera thread I started today:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=292115

(this thread was started to answer a question I had "coyotes or foxes" which was answered, so I started a new thread at the link above just as a general thread where I occasionally add video clips from the trail cameras in our yard)

Back
Top Bottom