To Return or Not Return?

If the rings have inscriptions that make finding the owner a short, precise process, then return the rings if you wish.
Otherwise keep the rings. With the low value of those rings, I would just keep the rings. The melt value won't even buy much gas in 2022.

I give it an effort if it's a class ring. Only ever found 3 - two golds and one silver. One gold was a successful return because her name was inscribed on the inside, the other gold there was never a reply despite posting on the lost class rings page that no longer exists and the school's website and one silver ring currently posted on the school's alumni FB page where I'll leave it for a year.

As a HS Teacher, class rings are not the big deal that they used to be and don't even get me started on letter jackets. Both were a big deal back in my day, which was a long, long time ago:(

Finders Keepers.. Nuff said!

What's the old saying? Possession is nine-tenths of the law, or something like that?

If the rings have inscriptions that make finding the owner a short, precise process, then return the rings if you wish.
Otherwise keep the rings. With the low value of those rings, I would just keep the rings. The melt value won't even buy much gas in 2022.

Unfortunately, so true when it comes to our current economic situation.:shock:

I buy metal detectors and all the accessories to find stuff for me.
If someone loses something and asks for my help of course I will help them, but I'm not going to turn my finds into the police ever.
When I was a kid someone left a really nice pair binoculars on a park bench. My dad made me turn them in to the police, they said they will hold on to them for like 90 days I went back after 90 days and sure enough the owners came and claimed them that's what the police told me.
About 6 months later I'm looking at the cops in their cop car look through the binoculars I found. returned them my eye.

I don't think a law determines the morality of a situation like this, a persons conscience does. If you can live with your decision then do that. I can understand your view AND the view of your wife. It doesn't mean either of you are wrong. What it means is that maybe you should keep your ring finds to yourself. It would probably be my decision if I was in your situation.

I would feel no more obligated to tell my wife I found a ring while enjoying my hobby (if I knew it would cause this kind of situation) than I would telling her I missed a jump shot if basketball was my hobby.

If you feel morally obligated to tell her....Well then, you are really going to have a lot of explaining to do in this hobby.

I am in the camp that if YOU can find the rightful owner then do so. Otherwise it's yours. If you go asking if anyone lost a gold ring I am sure that you can always find those that will say it's theirs when it isn't... I would look at that as me doing something that could possibly cause someone else to be immoral (IMO) and well I would have a hard time living with that. :yes:

I buy metal detectors and all the accessories to find stuff for me.
If someone loses something and asks for my help of course I will help them, but I'm not going to turn my finds into the police ever.
When I was a kid someone left a really nice pair binoculars on a park bench. My dad made me turn them in to the police, they said they will hold on to them for like 90 days I went back after 90 days and sure enough the owners came and claimed them that's what the police told me.
About 6 months later I'm looking at the cops in their cop car look through the binoculars I found. returned them my eye.

Unfortunately, your binocular story is probably all too common.

I would love to return the rings I’ve found but not to the police.

I get what your saying:yes:

I don't think a law determines the morality of a situation like this, a persons conscience does. If you can live with your decision then do that. I can understand your view AND the view of your wife. It doesn't mean either of you are wrong. What it means is that maybe you should keep your ring finds to yourself. It would probably be my decision if I was in your situation.

I would feel no more obligated to tell my wife I found a ring while enjoying my hobby (if I knew it would cause this kind of situation) than I would telling her I missed a jump shot if basketball was my hobby.

If you feel morally obligated to tell her....Well then, you are really going to have a lot of explaining to do in this hobby.

I am in the camp that if YOU can find the rightful owner then do so. Otherwise it's yours. If you go asking if anyone lost a gold ring I am sure that you can always find those that will say it's theirs when it isn't... I would look at that as me doing something that could possibly cause someone else to be immoral (IMO) and well I would have a hard time living with that. :yes:

Thanks for the response Saver. It's not that I feel "obligated" to tell my wife I found a ring. In general, she's very supportive of me in this hobby even though she doesn't care to detect herself. On occasion she'll ride along and enjoy nature while I detect. She also shows interest when I share my finds from hunts, especially the old coins, which she finds fascinating. And, best of all, she's more than willing to tell me to throw away that crusted over, rusty piece of bling jewelry that somehow made it onto the kitchen table rather than into the trash bin:laughing:

If the item has a historical value to the area I might consider donating it to a museum that would display the item properly. Fortunately I'm not married so the gold ring is mine if I can't figure out a way to find the owner and admittedly unless it has initials or it's a class ring I'm not going to put a lot of effort in finding the owner.

Back
Top Bottom