Saved a precious little girl from the surf …and then my Nox died [emoji20]

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I finally managed to squeeze in a short hunt last week. All I do is work these days and nurse injuries it seems. I saw a window to skip out of work and took it. The wind was blowing in which made it sloppy and dangerous. I hit a nice high tone out in about 4’ of water and right as I was dumping my scoop into the sifter, I started hearing some weird stuff in my headphones. Almost sounded like I was picking up air traffic. Then it happened. I heard a crackle, looked down at my display to see “CD”, then “Er”. Then it shut off and wouldn’t fire back up. Luckily I had the other equinox in the car but that just killed the hunt for me. Fast forward to today and I finally got a chance to take a second look at what I thought was just another Lead toy. To my surprise it’s actually silver! I have to clean it up with the dremel later but I was pretty stoked to find it. It’s gotta weigh close to 2oz as well. The detail on it is pretty nuts and I wonder how the heck it ended up in the surf.
Oddly, I went to play with the drowned Nox yesterday and it fired right up. Has anyone ever encountered the CD or Er codes? I did a quick YouTube search but came up with nothing. Strangely it was 4 years to the day that I bought it that it died on me
01c9a571858c3aad59654e1bee9e4b26.jpg

9c00ee13b7e077ad60d28bf2495a5999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice George... back in the day the water was further out... it could have been lost in the dry stuff a 100 years ago with sea levels rising and erosion from storms its very possible that is another scenario... its like the sterling baby rattle I found a few years ago... how did it get in the water?

01c9a571858c3aad59654e1bee9e4b26.jpg

9c00ee13b7e077ad60d28bf2495a5999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to see it all cleaned up. Wondering how an item got to where we find it, is part of the charm with our hobby.

You got me ...... I thought you rescued a living child from the water. That is a neat find congrats .

I believe that’s called click bait! Haha

Would love to hear from anyone that’s experienced the CD/Er error code. I wonder what Minelab would charge to repair the control box. Hell, they can replace the broken coil ears on my 11” coil while they’re at it.

I believe that’s called click bait! Haha

Would love to hear from anyone that’s experienced the CD/Er error code. I wonder what Minelab would charge to repair the control box. Hell, they can replace the broken coil ears on my 11” coil while they’re at it.

You can fix your own coil ears did it on a friends PI and its still holding after years of use...

Here are your error codes all you need to do is use google mister click bait...

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/equinox-error-codes/

naw, not click bait. click baiter refers you to another web site with ads that the click baiter gets paid for the referrals.

His is more like modern journalism, misleading headlines. But on forums it is usually kind of funny.

Very cool find and a real nice hunk of silver. Congrats. Will you try to shine her up ?
Both my 800s are over 4 years old and I, on occasion have heard that crackling you mention but they didn't shut down. Also, I've never had one in water, strictly a dirt fisher. Good luck. Mark

Yep, gotta admit, you got me with the headline - I was expecting major heroics, with the Nox selflessly giving its life by drowning as a precious child desperately grabbed hold of the control pod to avoid getting swept out to sea in a dangerous riptide, but allowing water ingress through the seals in the process.

Instead, it looks like wave action may have slowly loosened your coil connection, resulting in the Cd “coil disconnected” error code, which does cause the unit to shut down. Makes sense for the static you heard. Hopefully it’s as simple as just ensuring the connection is retightened, and it won’t reoccur. But definitely check the coil wire for cuts, and also maybe wiggle the reinforced connection where the wire is connected to the top of the coil the next time you have the detector on to make sure there isn’t any internal damage developing to the wire there. Sounds like the worst case might be the need to replace the coil.

Regardless, wonderful save on that little statue! Hopefully she polishes up nicely - I can’t wait to see the results! Don’t listen to metaladdict…I’m too sentimental about this kind of unique find and the mystery behind how it was lost to see it melted down ;)

Yep, gotta admit, you got me with the headline - I was expecting major heroics, with the Nox selflessly giving its life by drowning as a precious child desperately grabbed hold of the control pod to avoid getting swept out to sea in a dangerous riptide, but allowing water ingress through the seals in the process.

Instead, it looks like wave action may have slowly loosened your coil connection, resulting in the Cd “coil disconnected” error code, which does cause the unit to shut down. Makes sense for the static you heard. Hopefully it’s as simple as just ensuring the connection is retightened, and it won’t reoccur. But definitely check the coil wire for cuts, and also maybe wiggle the reinforced connection where the wire is connected to the top of the coil the next time you have the detector on to make sure there isn’t any internal damage developing to the wire there. Sounds like the worst case might be the need to replace the coil.

Regardless, wonderful save on that little statue! Hopefully she polishes up nicely - I can’t wait to see the results! Don’t listen to metaladdict…I’m too sentimental about this kind of unique find and the mystery behind how it was lost to see it melted down ;)

Thanks for the info. That happened with my little coil and the first thing I did was check the connection which was tight. I just fired that equinox up and it seems to be working fine so I’m gonna go try it at my old all girls school permission tonight to see if it’s working. As for the little statue, I started working it with a dremel lightly and it’s def silver. Did a quick air test on the Nox and it rings up 31. This is after just a few mins but I need another brush for the
Dremel because of the fine detail on this thing. I don’t want to ruin it.
1ef84e26845e96d5fa03967e2906a3bb.jpg

My brain experienced error codes the moment I saw the pic of the "little girl" after she was saved from such rough surf:laughing: I can see your currently busy with the resuscitation as well:yes:

Well done, Sir!

Nice figurine! Looks old. No too long ago some folks here were warning about water seeping into the display of the 800. My buddy and I bought our 800s at the same time, where he just replaced his battery due to loosing its charge after just 2 hours, while mine is still going strong.

Nice figurine! Looks old. No too long ago some folks here were warning about water seeping into the display of the 800. My buddy and I bought our 800s at the same time, where he just replaced his battery due to loosing its charge after just 2 hours, while mine is still going strong.

I can’t see any visible signs of water intrusion, no condensation build up or anything else. I beat the ever living snot out of that detector for exactly 4 years to the day. It saw a lot of time in saltwater Too. It paid for itself many many times over so as far as I’m concerned, it doesn’t owe me anything. I hope my other Nox holds up as well.

Nox 800

After a year and a half, I was scared of water damage, I finally took my NOX in the water. It lasted about 5 seconds and was done. Minelab sent me a new one so I was happy. Now I own the Deus II, and I'm liking it better than the NOX. And yes, I saw a Cd on my screen once and didn't figure it out until I got home. No problem, I never leave home without a back-up detector.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom