Elbow pain from detecting?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I'm pretty sure I started feeling some pain in my elbows when I brushed the dust off my compound bow this summer and started practicing with it but I've really noticed pain since I started swinging a detector again. My right elbow is tender! Giving a good handshake is difficult.

I've never noticed a topic on elbow pain before so I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I started feeling some pain in my elbows when I brushed the dust off my compound bow this summer and started practicing with it but I've really noticed pain since I started swinging a detector again. My right elbow is tender! Giving a good handshake is difficult.

I've never noticed a topic on elbow pain before so I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

About a Month ago I was Cutting up some trees with a Chainsaw and when I put it down I felt some pain in my right elbow as well. wasn't from a kickback or anything.. just putting it down.
Well it has been a month now and really hasn't got any better but ibuprofen definitely is helping and I take a few before I head out detecting. I think it is a pinched nerve or something but who knows.. I am going to give a few more weeks and then I guess I will breakdown and have a DR. look at it..

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

You may be developing a type of tennis elbow. Go to your local drug store. They have an elastic bandage with a small capsule of liquid in it. Sounds goofy but it does work. My arm use to get real sore swinging my heavy Whites detector. It was so bad I couldn't lift a cup of coffee to my mouth. My late wife worked at a physical therapy place and brought one of those home with her. After about three weeks it was gone and has never come back. Good luck.

Set your stem on the right length.
It has to simply hang in line with your arm. If you must lift it it's to long.
It's own weight must support the swings.

And do not swing to wide.
That's very bad for your shoulder bones and tendon. This can eventually bring you a bursa inflammation (?? google translate).

Spend too much time online with your hand resting on a mouse and you can get tennis elbow. How do I know?? BTDT. There are exercises that will help take care of the pain by stretching the tendons.

Set your stem on the right length.
It has to simply hang in line with your arm. If you must lift it it's to long.
It's own weight must support the swings.

And do not swing to wide.
That's very bad for your shoulder bones and tendon. This can eventually bring you a bursa inflammation (?? google translate).

Observe Item (B) closely! I had a case of bursa inflammation last fall and I can tell anyone out there....it SUCKS! I had to get a steroid injection to tame it, so it’s no joke! Excellent point Beest!

If the detector rod is to long it causes shoulder pain, if it’s to short it causes elbow pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the elbow pain and damage is a common problem with Detectorists!...Happened to me early in the game too! A guy soon learns to concentrate on alternative methods and ergonomics and swing with their 'entire body' instead of just their arm....

Based upon its designed intent, the elbow is a lateral weak point...It dont like repetitive side to side motion. It simply was not designed for this stress....It can do up and down just fine, but not side to side...So, a guy soon feels this as pain and modifies a swing pattern...

Keep your elbow in tight, dont grip the rig with nothing but a fore finger and thumb, as you would a pencil....Use your entire body to swing instead of your arm......sway and swivel at the hips and legs...in the water, do NOT try to overpower hydrodynamic drag with your arm circumventing an arc......You can 'push and pull' all day long like in a herringbone pattern, but not side to side....Use your body and hips and legs to swing rig, your arm is merely a connection point, not the primary power source of a Human body. Its the Legs...

I've been fortunate to not have any pain from detecting which is sort of remarkable considering that I started in 1983 and my first two detectors had the old fashioned "J" type handle which really put stress on the forearm.

There is a sling you can buy which helps to support the detector when you swing. It helped me a lot when I was swinging my DFX. I always had elbow problems.

They say if detector shaft it too long = elbow pain.
Too short = shoulder pain. That's what I heard anyways. HH.

You may be developing a type of tennis elbow. Go to your local drug store. They have an elastic bandage with a small capsule of liquid in it. Sounds goofy but it does work. My arm use to get real sore swinging my heavy Whites detector. It was so bad I couldn't lift a cup of coffee to my mouth. My late wife worked at a physical therapy place and brought one of those home with her. After about three weeks it was gone and has never come back. Good luck.

I wish I knew what product you are talking about here. Sounds helpful. Any wrap or compression sleeve can be helpful with elbow pain. Pain rubs/patches can help too.
The ergonomics, though, is the important lesson. Think. Feel. Adjust.

Ok, a lot to consider here. I'll check the length of the detector stem. Also, I like to swing wide sometime. I feel like I wish I could lengthen the distance of the cuff to the grip...

Don't need a swing or whatever. If set and used right then it will not be a problem.
I have hunted for many many years, several dayparts a week, lasting 3 to 5 hours each hunt (sometimes longer), with my left hand while i am righthanded, and i never had any problems. I have suffered nothing from it.
If set right you'll hardly notice (accept for the first few times getting used to).

I could hunt as long as i wanted. I have had earlier problems with tired legs after hunting a plowed or rainy wet field for some intensive hours.But that made gym training no more needed. :yes:
I think that agricultural pesticides will sooner hit me. :roll:

And no matter how wide you swing. In a certain time you can cover a certain acreage. If you swing less wide you can take your next step ahead more quick. It doesn't make a difference.
Instead, if your arm get's tired or hurt by a to wide swing you can hunt less then if you can hunt 'forever'. Efficiency! Think about that. ;)

After 45 years of detecting, I can say I never had problems with pain in my elbow. I have had pain in my right shoulder and my lower back that I believe came from detecting. Even got a cortisone shot in the shoulder, which helped. Worst problem I ever had was getting the toe on my right foot infected while detecting and having to have it amputated. Be sure to check your feet for blisters or open sores !!

Sounds like tennis elbow. I had that earlier this year and it isn't something that you can just work through it till it gets better. See a doctor to confirm. I had a tension brace that I wear just below the elbow that helps considerably. It was gone after a few months but the brace made a lot of difference.

Had it, from doing a whole house in cedar shakes.
Get the brace, a simple velcro strap on your forearm just below elbow. Take ibuprofen. At night, ice it, 15 mins on, 15 mins off an hour and a half. I had it so bad it would wake me up at night if I moved the wrong way. Went to the doctor, this is what he told me to do. I suffered terribly with it for a couple months, once I started this procedure it was gone in a week.
It's also caused by excessive masturbation, take it easy on that thing. :lol:

Had it, from doing a whole house in cedar shakes.
Get the brace, a simple velcro strap on your forearm just below elbow. Take ibuprofen. At night, ice it, 15 mins on, 15 mins off an hour and a half. I had it so bad it would wake me up at night if I moved the wrong way. Went to the doctor, this is what he told me to do. I suffered terribly with it for a couple months, once I started this procedure it was gone in a week.
It's also caused by excessive masturbation, take it easy on that thing. :lol:

Is that why your other nickname is the fists of fury ?

How many of you switch arms? I started doing this very early on, as I was concerned about a repetitive stress injury. It's a little awkward when you first start, but with practice it will become comfortable. When I'm gridding an area, I will typically go one direction right-handed, then come back the other left-handed. It helps to keep both arms fresh, and I haven't (yet) run into any elbow or shoulder problems. Otherwise I would agree with the advice to tweak the length a bit. Just a little shorter will take some of the weight off of your arm.

Back
Top Bottom