Alum. vs Stainless sand scoops

Years ago I had a aluminum scoop with a ss tip it work good but gripping bare aluminum will give you black hands so use a glove
I hated that black hand thing when I used a Howie scoop that I had.

Just in general, How could you not wear gloves when doing any MD at all?
I started to use them in the water only until about 2 years ago after getting a cut on a can I was crushing. Gloves in the dry sand?

I started to use them in the water only until about 2 years ago after getting a cut on a can I was crushing. Gloves in the dry sand?
I use them all the time anytime I MD. I always looking for different style of gloves to test. Some gloves you can't close your hands easy and others are just too thin.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I wear a thin glove on my scoop hand more for preventing calluses from the sand attaching to the scoop handle. And I always wear booties so I don't lose a toe from the edge or tip of a scoop.

Complaint i have agains't Stavr scoop Z , is he refuses to change the old school screw in the goose neck, quick release welded nut & bolt can't be beat for the handle lock down , if he ever changes that one year , than i will buy another Stavr ss scoop .
I do not steal other people's designs ;)

Stavr

Then come up with your own solution to your OLD design , the screw in the Goose Neck need's to go to heaven :realitycheck: :digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::digginahole: PS let me know when it's done, than i will buy another scoop :snapoutofit: Its such a poor design i drilled all way through , not 1 but two hole's bolted , to secure the head to the handle , a design used on all Cheap built scoop's now, retire , or man up to the high end class . No more screw's please, give us a quick release updated version , it will improve your scoop sale's at least 30%, not asking you to copy anyone's design, your smart enough to come up with your own version , happy hunting Earl

Attachments

• Stavr M-9 001.JPG
    Stavr M-9 001.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 219
  • Stavr M-9 005.JPG
    Stavr M-9 005.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 212
  • StavrSunspot Fromm Gold 002.JPG
    StavrSunspot Fromm Gold 002.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 203
  • StavrSunspot Fromm Gold 001.JPG
    StavrSunspot Fromm Gold 001.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 212
  • P1000914.JPG
    P1000914.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 204
  • P1000915.JPG
    P1000915.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 220
  • P1000920.JPG
    P1000920.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I'm going to the beach in a couple of weeks and will bring both aluminum and SS scoops. It will be interesting to see the difference. The aluminum is definitely lighter, but it certainly won't be as strong.

Update

A Florida hunter said Xtreme scoops in 60 day's or so, will have Titanium scoop's in the line up along with 314 or 316 marine grade , and still has 304 Stainless in stock

If you have an aluminum scoop you can paint it with a silicon embedded marine epoxy that will make it slicker than duck poop on a wet pier.

I think wetlander is a brand name, they paint the hulls of airboats with it. Helps them glide over mud and logs and such.

As mentioned before, wet sand sticks more to aluminum. Aluminum has to be thicker than SS to give you the same strength to weight ratio, thereby losing out. If you hunt the wet sand and water SS is the way to go. I have an aluminum scoop for the dry sand that has a much smaller bucket. If you're going to go out once or more a week pay up front for a good quality scoop - a Stealth or Stavr - it'll be worth it over the long run.

Those stavr scoops look like theres not much enclosure near the handle, gold might jump out when shaking!

If you have an aluminum scoop you can paint it with a silicon embedded marine epoxy that will make it slicker than duck poop on a wet pier.

I think wetlander is a brand name, they paint the hulls of airboats with it. Helps them glide over mud and logs and such.

That's a great tip!

Back
Top Bottom